dcsimg

Makita SP6000

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Does the 118 inch Festool and Makita track come in a wood box/case for storage? DO you worry about getting nicks in the edges?

Mine was shipped to the lumber yard in a wooden box. Unfortunately, it almost has to be destroyed to get the rail out! The body of the box was made from 11 ply Baltic Birch with a fiber board stapled to the top and bottom…separating the fiberboard was basically impossible and resulted in the “box” being tossed out.

As for damaging the rail…it IS aluminum, so it can be dinged up. Mine has faired well with just a bit of extra care. It hangs on the wall in my garage above my shelving. When I need to transport it, I just make sure it’s fully supported.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

The longer Festool rails come in a box of masonite on the top and bottom and wood on the ends. It works and mine has not sustained any damage other than what I have done myself. They are pretty rugged, but drops can ding a corner.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

This is what I built to carry my two 55″ rails in. The edges of the rails don’t touch the inside of the case since the rails register on the bolts so they can’t move around and get damaged. It has worked very well for me the past few years.

Dan

danpattison.com

This is what I built to carry my two 55″ rails in. The edges of the rails don’t touch the inside of the case since the rails register on the bolts so they can’t move around and get damaged. It has worked very well for me the past few years.

Great idea – simple and effective!!

Orange County, CA

Kamster
    Pro

Well, it was hovering around 0 degrees celcius in the unheated garage so I decided to wait before giving the saw a run on the plywood.

On the good news front, some of the Makita accessories were on clearance at the store where I got the saw. Got the Makita router guide adapter kit and a set of guide rail connectors both NIB for $45 CDN. Not sure if these are being discontinued by Makita or if the store is going to stop carrying the accessories.

@woodman_412: Thanks for the photos of the storage box – looks great.

Sounds like the Festool and Makita 118 inch tracks both come in some heavy duty boxes. Still not sure about going with the 118 or adding a Festool 75 inch

yellaD
    Pro

Another smart design Dan! I saw that the Sp6000 comes with 118″ track combo as well, ends in -x2 (instead of -x1 for 55″), @Kamster. At my dealer downtown Toronto has it for $20 more than that link you sent. I’d rather deal with them vs online delivery. Plus I can talk to them about a bandsaw also, I’m debating how I should spend some money, lol. Gratz on the saw again, thanks for the link!

Kamster
    Pro

Another smart design Dan! I saw that the Sp6000 comes with 118″ track combo as well, ends in -x2 (instead of -x1 for 55″), @Kamster. At my dealer downtown Toronto has it for $20 more than that link you sent. I’d rather deal with them vs online delivery. Plus I can talk to them about a bandsaw also, I’m debating how I should spend some money, lol. Gratz on the saw again, thanks for the link!

I’d rather deal local as well given a choice. If your dealer does price matching you may be able to get an even better deal when you bundle in the band saw. Enjoy your new purchase(s) too

Sounds like the Festool and Makita 118 inch tracks both come in some heavy duty boxes. Still not sure about going with the 118 or adding a Festool 75 inch

If you are ripping lots of plywood, then I think the longer track makes sense. I held off getting one for years and since acquiring one, I have not regretted it at all. The 75 inch rail is also really nice – I prefer it to cross cutting sheet goods as I like more runway on both ends of the cut. This is probably my most used rail of all.

Orange County, CA

Kamster
    Pro

Update: It was finally sort of warm enough to do some work in the garage. Still below zero celcius but I was game to give the new saw a spin.

Opened the cardboard box holding the track and disaster. I didn’t even need to take the foam wrap off the track to see 2 problems. Problem 1 was a big ding in the edge of the guide – I could see it through the ripped foam wrap. Looked at the cardboard box again and I could see where there had been impact damage. Problem 2 was a bow in the track so it wouldn’t lay flat on a surface.

Boxed it up and headed back to KMS this morning. They were happy to swap tracks and the new one looks good so far. The Makita XL storage cases were all on sale for 28% off so I bit the bullet and picked one up. I still think I am going to to go with the Tanos T-Loc system and the Makita will be the bottom case as the T-Locs will snap onto the systainer style cases but not vice versa.

Now, out to try the saw 🙂

yellaD
    Pro

Good to hear KMS took care of you! That’s the resolution to a disastrous situation I want from dealing locally.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I have the Festool track saw with Makita tracks. My tracks are 55 and 118. I like having the longer track when I need it. Track saw is absolutely a game changer.

Kamster
    Pro

OK… happy now. Saw started up smoothly. You can really feel the air moving out the dust chute when the blade is spinning. I was a little surprised by that.

The track is *flat* and smooth when the saw is running on the track.

woodman_412

To improve the dust collection I put a couple of pieces of tape over the access hole for the blade nut. Helps a bit.

That’s a great tip, thanks! I tried it the other day and it does help improve the dust collection. A very simple but effective solution.

Dan

danpattison.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

To improve the dust collection I put a couple of pieces of tape over the access hole for the blade nut. Helps a bit.

That’s a great tip, thanks! I tried it the other day and it does help improve the dust collection. A very simple but effective solution.

Are you using duct tape for this hole plugging??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

woodman_412

Are you using duct tape for this hole plugging??

I just used some pieces of blue masking tape Dirty. That way it sticks well but comes off easy and doesn’t leave any residue.

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I made a similar box for my rails. It keeps them safe. Mine fit snug in the box instead fo the bolt connection. I do like the bolt to keep them free floating.

woodman_412

I made a similar box for my rails. It keeps them safe. Mine fit snug in the box instead fo the bolt connection. I do like the bolt to keep them free floating.

Nice job Kurt! Yours looks snazzier than mine. I like that yours has hinges and a carry handle too. I have a piece of nylon webbing in my case that I’ve always meant to make into a flexible handle but I’ve never gotten around to it.

Dan

danpattison.com

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I would think you would need that case to keep those tracks safe. especially the 118″

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would think you would need that case to keep those tracks safe. especially the 118″

My 55″ s sit on a shelf in the van. Maybe they need a box.. they should come in a box.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

OK… happy now. Saw started up smoothly. You can really feel the air moving out the dust chute when the blade is spinning. I was a little surprised by that.

The track is *flat* and smooth when the saw is running on the track.

It’s good to hear that hey replaced your track without any hassle!

Nice box! I should probably make one for my tracks too!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.514 seconds