dcsimg

Makita SP6000

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Kamster
    Pro

Well, I finally did it. Pulled the trigger on a new SP6000 + 55inch track. My local tool store had 20% off Makita products before Christmas and it made the SP6000 quite a good deal, essentially half the price of the TS55 kit.

I’m going to break down some 3/4 inch plywood tomorrow so I’m looking forward to seeing how well it cuts and how good the dust collection is with a vac.

Thinking that I need to run down to Lee Valley and pick up a Tanos T-Loc box to store the saw in. I looked at the Makita box but it seemed a little flimsy. L-Boxxs are pretty expensive here for the 3 and 4 sizes. Dewalt Tough boxes are probably overkill for my storage needs. Anyone tried the Dewalt Tstak or the Ridgid boxes?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Congrats on the new purchase! You should really like the track saw. It brings a whole new way to do things in the shop/job site.

I’m not sure but I think the Makita box is the old systainer?? The tough boxes are pretty nice. Why not save up a few points and get an L-boxx through BTP?

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

woodman_412

Congrats on your new saw! I’ve had an SP6000 for a few years now and I really like it. There were a few advantages over the Festool and like you said when it’s on sale it’s quite a bit cheaper. I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it. I’ve found that having a second 55″ rail with the connector kit is valuable since it will let you rip sheet goods.

I have mine set up in an L3 and it works really well.

Dan

danpattison.com

I think this is a pretty nice saw. I was close to pulling the trigger on one a few months ago as a smaller size is appealing. It has lots of great features and is more powerful than the Festool version. Very similar to the Mafell IMHO. I think the sell a longer 118 inch track for longer rips too.

Orange County, CA

yellaD
    Pro

Great deal for a well recommended saw, there’s been a lot of positive talk about it here! The Tanos T-loc in black and gold for the saw makes sense too, different from your stack of grey. Gratz on the saw, whatever you put it in.

woodman_412

I think the sell a longer 118 inch track for longer rips too.

They do sell a 118″ Scot and I’ve been tempted to get one. The thing that has kept me from getting one though is dealing with the size of it. It’s not practical at all to transport to site and even storing it in the shop would be a bit of a pain since it’s too tall to stand up. It would be nice to not have to join the two 55″ tracks to do rips but it does make for much more convenient storage and transportation.

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We also have the Makita track. It gets a lot more use than I thought it would when I bought it. It is really nice for breaking down sheet goods by yourself. I bought an extra 55″ track when I got it that comes in handy joined together.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Congrats on the new saw! I have one and I’m a big fan.

As for the 118″ track…personally, I would get one. Mine in invaluable when breaking down sheet goods. I’ll use it when cutting along the long side and the 55″ on the short side.

Do yourself a favor and get an assortment of good quality blades. While the stock 48t blade is great, it isn’t the the best choice for ripping a thick board.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

congrats, I am curious what length sections do the track come in?

Kamster
    Pro

Thanks, guys. I don’t think that I’ve looked forward to using a new tool as much as this one. Not having to cut sheet goods down on the 4100 already has me breathing a sigh of relief.

I haven’t finalized a decision on the storage case. The Makita box will work with the older systainer design and it is cheaper than the Tanos. I like the assortment of box sizes and add-in drawers that Tanos (and Festool) have for their different T-Loc style boxes. The Bosch boxes are hard to find around here unfortunately.

I’m going to take a look at the 118 inch track versus the 2 x 55 inch tracks.

Other than the Makita blades, what are the best blades for ripping and cross-cutting?

Kamster
    Pro

congrats, I am curious what length sections do the track come in?

The Makita comes with a 55 inch track and there is an optional 118 inch track

The Makita also works on the Festool tracks which come in the following lengths:
    32, 42, 55, 75, 106, 118, and 197 inch lengths

They do sell a 118″ Scot and I’ve been tempted to get one. The thing that has kept me from getting one though is dealing with the size of it. It’s not practical at all to transport to site and even storing it in the shop would be a bit of a pain since it’s too tall to stand up. It would be nice to not have to join the two 55″ tracks to do rips but it does make for much more convenient storage and transportation.

Yeah. I have the 3000mm Festool and I keep it on the top shelf of my lumber rack in the box it came in. It works, but not overly handy. However, I would not trade it after using it. So convenient for cutting and a huge time saver.

Orange County, CA

yellaD
    Pro

Yeah. I have the 3000mm Festool and I keep it on the top shelf of my lumber rack in the box it came in. It works, but not overly handy. However, I would not trade it after using it. So convenient for cutting and a huge time saver.

Wow, you really have all the sweet tools, a 3000mm track is a luxury!

Just found this
    http://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?add=yes&idProduct=6494
    Good price? in CAD

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Congrats on a great saw for a great price!

I love mine. I have the 118″ track along with the 55″. I tow a 16′ tool trailer so I am able to store the 118″ track easily in the rack I created for it. That 118″ really makes ripping 8′ material so easy.

To improve the dust collection I put a couple of pieces of tape over the access hole for the blade nut. Helps a bit.

Kamster
    Pro

Thanks for the tip on the dust collection.

Everyone’s comments about the 118 inch track are very enticing.

Does the 118 inch Festool and Makita track come in a wood box/case for storage? DO you worry about getting nicks in the edges? Looks like the Festool is double the price of the Makita but I understand that you can’t use many of the Festool accessories on the Makita track because of the anti-tip lip on the Makita track interfering. Do any of you use any of the Makita or Festool accessories on the long track?

@yellaD
    If you’re in Canada then this is where I got my SP6000
    https://www.kmstools.com/makita-plunge-saw-w-55-guide-rail-92513

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Great buy on the new plunge saw. Do remember it a soft start tool and let it get up to full speed before you plunge her in the wood. Mine came in the same boxx as the green one but i’s a Teal boxx.

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Well, I finally did it. Pulled the trigger on a new SP6000 + 55inch track. My local tool store had 20% off Makita products before Christmas and it made the SP6000 quite a good deal, essentially half the price of the TS55 kit.

I’m going to break down some 3/4 inch plywood tomorrow so I’m looking forward to seeing how well it cuts and how good the dust collection is with a vac.

Thinking that I need to run down to Lee Valley and pick up a Tanos T-Loc box to store the saw in. I looked at the Makita box but it seemed a little flimsy. L-Boxxs are pretty expensive here for the 3 and 4 sizes. Dewalt Tough boxes are probably overkill for my storage needs. Anyone tried the Dewalt Tstak or the Ridgid boxes?

That makita is more powerful than the ts55. It makes a huge difference when cutting composite decking (very dense). I sold the ts55 and kept the Makita, if that tells you anything.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Congrats on the new plunge saw. Keep us updated on what track(s) you decide to go with?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

yellaD
    Pro

Thanks for the tip on the dust collection.

Everyone’s comments about the 118 inch track are very enticing.

Does the 118 inch Festool and Makita track come in a wood box/case for storage? DO you worry about getting nicks in the edges? Looks like the Festool is double the price of the Makita but I understand that you can’t use many of the Festool accessories on the Makita track because of the anti-tip lip on the Makita track interfering. Do any of you use any of the Makita or Festool accessories on the long track?

@yellaD
    If you’re in Canada then this is where I got my SP6000
    https://www.kmstools.com/makita-plunge-saw-w-55-guide-rail-92513

Thanks, $90 off is great!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If I were to use mine a lot more for ripping 8′ sheets, I think I would get the 118″ track to save on assembly time. I just worry it would be damaged to easily. I saw the 197″ Festool at a GOB sale at a hardware store, it was tempting but I passed. I wish I had not.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.539 seconds