dcsimg

MAKITA Brushless Cordless 5‑7/8" Metal Cutting Circular Saw – REVIEW

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

Hello everyone,

Recently I had the chance to use the Makita Metal Cutting Circular Saw, for few days and now I would like to write a small quick review.

The model is the XSC02Z 18V LXT® Lithium‑Ion Brushless Cordless 5‑7/8″ Metal Cutting Saw (just inside United States of America) or model number DCS551 (Rest of the World)

Some specs:

Blade Diameter : 5-7/8″
    Arbor : 5/8″
    Max: Cutting Depth : 2-1/4″
    No Load Speed : 3,900 RPM
    Battery : 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion
    Overall Length : 13-1/8″
    Net Weight (with battery) : 6.4 lbs.
    Power Type : Cordless
    Shipping Weight : 7.9 lbs.
    UPC Code : 088381-697118

Features:

Automatic Speed Change™ technology adjusts cutting speed and torque during cut for optimum performance
    Large cutting capacity (2-1/4” at 90°) allows for 2″ conduit to be cut in a single pass
    BL™ Motor delivers 3,900 RPM for faster cutting
    The BL™ Brushless Motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL™ Motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
    Efficient BL™ Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
    The electronically-controlled BL™ Brushless Motor efficiently uses energy to match torque and RPM to the changing demands of the application
    Cuts a wide range of metals including Unistrut®, all thread, channel, conduit, pipe, sheet metal, square tubing, steel and more
    Can be used with Makita 5-3/8″ metal cutting blades
    Compact and ergonomic design at only 13-1/8″ long
    Weighs only 6.4 lbs. with battery (battery not included) for reduced operator fatigue.

OK, now I’ll to express my impressions about the tool…here we go.

This tool can be used for metal roofing, guttering, sheet metal, aluminium, stainless steel, metal siding and roof panels in general (ferrous and not ferrous material).

With the right blade, you can cut thicker materials.
    Makita’s blade provided with the tool lasts well, however there are some tips about this type of blade.

For example, let’s suppose we are about to cut some metals, thin or thick, differently from a circular saw meant for wood, the tool’s blade spins a bit slower, cause it’s a cold cut metal saw.
    Before you start a cut, press the trigger and start the cut with the blade spinning, otherwise you will damage the teeth on the blade, those are teeth are carbide one.
    Metal blade cutting metal with no sparks, weird eh? But it works flawlessly!

This unit was the first brushless metal cutting circular saw to hit the market which not only adds power but also significantly boosts run-time. Another big difference with this unit is an increased capacity from 5-3/8” which was the standard for this type of saw to the 5-7/8” after finding some limits on common 2” applications, this Makita XSC02 has a full 2-1/4” capacity.

In terms of run-time, on my personal experience, a single 5.0Ah battery got roughly 150 linear feet of cutting which was most of the work day for this job. Cutting is very fast, material stays cool to the touch and motor did not struggle. The clear shroud keeps metal shavings down however can make visibility a little tricky. With the new blade size does come some practical issues as Makita 5-7/8” Metal Blades are not going to be common in your local hardware and the arbor for this saw is 5/8” which means you can’t even use a 5-3/8” blade in a pinch from another brands as those are all 20mm standard arbor.

Just a suggestion for someone which is willing to use this tool professionally.
    Blades by Makita, by Hilti are very very good, blades by Diablo are also very nice.

But, trust me on this…If you can, try metal cutting blades made by MK MORSE(Made in USA), I bet you will not get a better edge/finishing/quality cut and lasts impressively more!

Almost forgot to say something, I don’t want to cause any BUZZ here, but for me this tool it’s not perfect by only one small detail…
    IT’S NOT A LEFT SIDE BLADE SAW! HAHAHAHA

Finally, I would like to say that I’m not a Makita Fan Boy, I own different tools from different manufacturers.

Well, I believe that´s all folks!
    I hope it helps,

Cheers.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

awesome review Ben *thumbs up

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

Thanks Alex, I’m glad you liked it.
    Do you own the Bosch 18v Metal Cutting Circular Saw?
    I heard it’s super lightweight and powerful.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Not sure if madman has one. But I do. It’s a nice small saw. No problem cutting 3/8 thick stock.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That is a bummer!! I had the older brushed model and sold it. Does that one have the chip collector?? It doesn’t look like it. I see that size wetal saw with the chip collector at the WoodCraft store and that’s the one I want.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

Not sure if madman has one. But I do. It’s a nice small saw. No problem cutting 3/8 thick stock.

Hey Ron, did you use that saw paired with the Core6.3? I mean, do you get good runtime?

That is a bummer!! I had the older brushed model and sold it. Does that one have the chip collector?? It doesn’t look like it. I see that size wetal saw with the chip collector at the WoodCraft store and that’s the one I want.

Agree on that @dirtywhiteboy , Dewalt and Hilti are the only 2 blade left metal circular saws, that I know.
    The model I reviewed does not have a chip collector, however newer models have a clear chip collector.

Makita released 2 new models with chip collection, one is brushless and the other is brushed.
    They also increased the RPM on the new brushless model, 4200(the one I reviewed the blade spins at 3900 RPM), the battery position it’s now sideways(making the brushless saw more compact), the hook position was also changed.
    Makita also made new blades for this saw, which makes us to think it’s now a multi purpose saw.
    The new blades are for wood, cement, steel, stainless, aluminium, sheet metal and one just like those blades from Diablo which cuts wood with nails.

I’m going to attach some pictures here and specs for each saw, brushed and brushless.

Makita XSC03Z Features and Specs(BRUSHED)

5-3/8″ blade size, 5/8″ arbor
    2″ max cutting depth
    Chip collector box
    Trigger with 2-stage lock-off
    Electric brake
    3600 RPM motor
    LED work light
    Stainless steel base
    13-3/4″ long
    Weighs 6 lbs with battery
    Comes with a 30T blade

Makita XSC04Z Features & Specs(BRUSHLESS)

5-7/8″ blade size, 5/8″ arbor
    Brushless motor
    2-1/4″ max cutting depth
    Chip collector box
    Trigger with 2-stage lock-off
    Electric brake
    4200 RPM motor
    LED work light
    Stainless steel base
    10-1/2″ long
    Weighs 6.8 lbs with battery
    Comes with a 32T blade

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Hey Ron, did you use that saw paired with the Core6.3? I mean, do you get good runtime?

I really cant say much on run time. Only make a few cuts at a time with the saw.

Ron

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I really cant say much on run time. Only make a few cuts at a time with the saw.

Maybe you can find a abandoned car and get busy cutting it up and get a battery run time that way

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Maybe you can find a abandoned car and get busy cutting it up and get a battery run time that way

That would do it. lol

Ron

Hi ben thanks for the first impressions on that saw . Your not the only one who dislikes blade right saws ha ha .

Always willing to learn .

CB
    Pro

Attached is a photo of the two Makita 5 7/8″ Brushless LXT 18v Metal saws compared side by side, with the differences noted in text:

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Let’s say it like that. It’s easier to say, “what I don’t own from Bosch” and that list is very short 😛

@bbernardesjr87
    yes it is small, powerful, and you are right it’s light. great saw for sure

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Recently I had the chance to use the Makita Metal Cutting Circular Saw, for few days and now I would like to write a small quick review.

Great review Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.351 seconds