dcsimg

Makita 18v

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 105 total)
  • Author

Now, many of you have talked very highly about Milwaukee 18v and their FUEL tools… and even moreso with how many tools Milwaukee offers in their 12v line (FUEL or not – see this topic http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/milwaukee-m12/)… Now, the same is even more true with Makita and their 18v line. Talk about options! It seems like there is no stopping Makita in terms of the scope of their offerings. That is not to say that Makita, Hilti, Bosch don’t outperform Makita’s tools in various ways on various models… but it sure makes a compelling case to dedicate your cordless system to makita…

That being said, Makita is a little bit late to the 4.0 game. And it looks like not every tool will be compatible with it. This may make for some disgruntled users. Any thoughts?
    http://toolguyd.com/makita-18v-lxt-tools-and-bl1840-battery-compatibility

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

A guy that commented to the link said it well. I’m not interested in something that isn’t backwards compatible. Why do tool manufacturers do that? I don’t get rid of tools because there is something better out, but because I have gotten good solid use out of them and they are wore out.

Sent via snail messenger.

I agree Sven – it is a tricky balance for the company to keep making more profit by making their customers buy new tools and batteries versus keeping people in their line by making everything backwards compatible. A delicate balance indeed…

It isn’t clear as of now as to how backwards compatible the new batteries are or are not… we will see and hear more, I am sure

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Makita is claiming 18V power with 12v weight. Does that mean that somehow they are able to make their battery cells lighter for their 18v tools? It was my understanding that a company basically uses the same cell in different quantities to get desired performance.

I am impressed with some of their accessory tools like their jobsite fan and blower.

Makita is claiming 18V power with 12v weight. Does that mean that somehow they are able to make their battery cells lighter for their 18v tools? It was my understanding that a company basically uses the same cell in different quantities to get desired performance.

I am impressed with some of their accessory tools like their jobsite fan and blower.

Ohhh – that is an interesting claim on that last picture. Not sure how in the world they can make that claim… unless it is referring to their 12v tools being stronger than 12v tools normally are… but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I have no idea… maybe it is referring to their compact battery? IDK

John S

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

Apparently Makita US has said that the 4.0 batteries will be compatible with their 18 volt tools if your connector plate is black with a star on it, is yellow with a star on it, or if it has a yellow connector plate (no star on it).

I personally was a Milwaukee guy for many years. They kept switching the platforms for the 18 volt. Several years ago, they made a switch that was NOT backward compatible. I don’t abuse my tools so I still had lots of life left in them. When my batteries finally died it forced me to buy all new tools. I was really irked at Milwaukee for doing this, so I got rid of everything and switched to Makita.

Given that Makita has had a known (but un-admitted) problem with their 3.0 batteries failing due to the chip inside, and now with this news of the limited backward compatibility, I’m really nervous about the decision I made. This is a significant investment to be making every few years only to be kicked in the teeth by a manufacturer. I guess time will tell, but this will not be a positive thing for Makita to alienate their customer base, IMHO…

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I dont thinkmi would go back to Makita if their new batteries were not compatible. With the bare tools , I have a large investment and would be disappointed if the batteries did not fit.

Probable enough to change platforms

Man. That is just sad to hear… These sorts of changes just devastate users who have gathered a significant lineup of cordless tools under one brand… I understand on some levels that the companies want to push technology, but I bet there really could be a way to make it backward compatible if they wanted to…?

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That is the stuff that I was talking about in my post. But then again, it wasn’t too long ago that Bosch was using Bluecore, now they are on lithium.

redwood
    Pro

I guess I’ll cross that bridge when it comes. It sounds like it will be a little time before the larger battery will be available. Who knows, maybe the 3.0 AH batteries will come down in price.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I guess I’ll cross that bridge when it comes. It sounds like it will be a little time before the larger battery will be available. Who knows, maybe the 3.0 AH batteries will come down in price.

Sage counsel from Mark as always… no need to sweat it now… though if I was a Makita user, I might be a little more hesitant to buy more tools in the line (though they would obviously be compatible with the new batteries… it would still stink to lose ___ that were not compatible)

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man we don’t have any stores like in the pic JohnS posted up. I have no problem selling off old tools and upgrading.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Man we don’t have any stores like in the pic JohnS posted up. I have no problem selling off old tools and upgrading.

I have no idea what store that picture is from – definitely not your average tool store…. Seems like it is a dedicated makita dealer of sorts to say the least haha.

So you are saying that the guys whose tools are too old to work with their batteries should just deal with upgrading and sell off their older stuff (craigslist?) and deal with it? Sounds like you might be stirring up the hornet’s nest 😛

John S

I like the more efficient and higher AH batteries across tool brands. Longer run times and lighter weight is a real plus. Good stuff.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No not trying to stir up anything but I sell off my driver kits before they get a year to 18 months old anyway.

Dirty

How come, Dirty? Just so you can recoup some money for the tool and buy new? Why not buy a new battery or just wait until the tool dies?

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s cheaper to replace the kit and get a 3rd battery with it than have the battery go dead.

Dirty

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

that definitely looks like a makita outlet. the service center here use to be stocked like that but some sort of regulation that came into play states that their not allowed to compete with the retailers.. they only carry hard to find items now

as for length of life of tools i generally keep my cordless gear til it dies if i like the tool. if its something im not overly impressed with ill sell it off off like i did with my milwaukee m18. rigid 18 hammer drill and bosch compact lith ion 18 v drill and impact

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

I don’t have any Makita cordless tools in my shop but I do use Makita 18V drills and impact drivers at the countertop shop. I don’t dislike the Makita drills but I do prefer my Bosch over them. The main things I prefer about the Bosch are the trigger response, balance and the fuel gauge on the battery.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.565 seconds