dcsimg

Makita 18V Wheelbarrow – Carrier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

A couple of months ago now, I snagged a good deal on a barely used Makita 18V wheelbarrow/carrier at dealer cost via the Makita service center not far from me. While I was pleased to get a nice price on it, it is still rather expensive for a non-pro to buy for uses around my house. But in speaking to the guys at Makita, it has become very popular with the cottage crowd up north with hauling stuff around, never mind the intended users which are really landscapers and contractors.

For me, I got it with both the bucket attachment it was sold as and the carrier cage which has auxilliary adjustable left and right side and front end vertical suports. Haven’t used the bucket yet, but the carrier cage which at first I wasn’t even contemplating getting initially but when also offered at retailer cost, I took a chance on. So far, that carrier cage has been on it and being used almost exclusively.

It has a lot of power for something running on 18V and has its drive motor encassed in its big knobby threded front wheel rim, it’s quite impressive. It’s rated for 260 lbs, but I had it moving five 30 kilo bags of ready mix concrete one day repeatedly, and it didn’t show any signs of motor strain at all versus carrying lesser loads.

It holds two 18V batteries in a weather resistant enclosure, but only one battery is consumed at a time. There’s a sensor that will tell one that a battery is nearing depletion, which it’s actual bar level indicator can be viewed via pressing a button on the outer dual battery enclosure and which you can also just flip a rocker switch to start using the second battery. Simply well designed and thought out.

In fact, once you start to familiarize yourself with this machine, you can see a lot of thought did go into this machine. From the the little pan head one inch prongs that are on the bottom perimeter of the carrier cage accesory to latch rope or bungies to to harness one’s load more securely, to including a front wheel lockable hand brake along with swivel type foot depressable locks for the rear two non flat tire rear wheels which can also be extended further away from the body for better load balancing.

Even the two drive handles are height adjustable. Initially I was using it as it came with the handles set in their lowest position not knowing that. One day after numerous trips when I was lugging concrete bags and I was starting to get that hunched over effect, one of the handles became loosish. What a fortunate event it became loose. When I looked at what was in effect going on, I noticed what held the handle in place sucurely kinda maybe meant that there might be additional holes inside the tube column it was buried in. Sure enough there were additional holes and I raised the handles to a height that was more comfortablef for my height. Immediately the lower back strain I was starting to develop went away once I raised those handles up. That’s some smart engineering. Especially with what is its first generation to market of this product from Makita.

A few other points to mention. It has two speeds which are all actuated on the right handle assembly with easily visible indicators and controls that are all water resistant like the rest of the unit. The low speed is used when your terrain might be uneven and you’d want to carefully negotiate your travel over such. Speed 2 is a normal walking pace over nice even terrain. Actuating it in drive does not have any jerkish start ups. Very smooth engagement into any drive speed.

In regards to water resistance, not sure of its IP rating against water/dust, as I’ve shamefully yet to read its owners manual nor can I recall reading online about that since I’ve been eyeballing getting this for maybe the past year, but it is likely IP64 rated against such. Meaning it can take decent rain, but may suffer in prolonged super heavy downpours. Not sure, but I have a bunch of IP64 rated stuff, and this unit seems to be at that type of enclosured/constructed standards.

Overall, no complaints. As aludded to earlier though, the initial price shock was hard to digest, but like most other pricey tools I’ve bought over the decades, there’s a reason why. This is a well built and well designed tool that has already served me way more than I initially imagined and I feel my uses for it have just begun. You start to get older, playing Hercules is not as desirable as it used to be. This machine helps with making life easier and save one’s energy for the tasks that really demand it still.

https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?event=tool&id=3194

Doobie

So today, I went and furthered an effort I had an idea for to mod my Makita motorized carrier for the purpose of supporting my old generation Festool 1080 Multi Function Table A.K.A. ‘MFT’.

I’ve been in the process for a few years now of doing a major makeover of our backyard. At times, I’d really need to use my MFT, but it is so darn heavy and awkward to haul around, unless I absolutely needed it, I sought other alternatives. For the most part, the last ten years since I bought it, my MFT stays in my shop.

But now, this has maybe changed with the acquisition recently of the Makita motorized carrier. I started tinkering shortly after acquiring it via an inspiring post on another forum of a gentleman making a portable on site knock off MFT set up and as a result, just natuarally thought my new Makita may be an ideal candidate to do what he was doing, but even better!

Today, I got this far. And this after long brain idea tinkerings the past few weeks. I already had a sub-base contraption I had made for securing my MFT to my base modular table that normally holds it in my shop for specialized abilities, so it became the base assembly of how it could be secured to what I made for it to be secured to the frame structure I’d build upon on my Makita carrier.

Thoughts of its initial height from grade were not well thought out. At near 42 inches high, I know from the time I’ve already used my Makita that this would be way too top heavy and tip easily. So before calling it quits tonite I cut it down 5 inches after that initial mock up, and I think this could work.

Further work is still to be done, but I stil think this is viable, just have to work on it some more another day.

It would just be great to have this boat anchor MFT work table easily deployable and removeable at the end of the day outside with my projects. Hopefully I’ll succeed in achieving this goal via my Makita motorized carrier.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It would just be great to have this boat anchor MFT work table easily deployable and removeable at the end of the day outside with my projects. Hopefully I’ll succeed in achieving this goal via my Makita motorized carrier.
    Attachments:

Sounds like a good idea to get more use out of your MFT.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Got back to working on my Makita motorized carrier mod to outfit my Festool 1080 MFT worktable onto. Pretty well finished it for now. Took it out for a test drive over bumby grass and sharp inclines and it works just fine and is not easily prone to tipping over. It just fits thru my gate going to my backyard.

Got back to working on my Makita motorized carrier mod to outfit my Festool 1080 MFT worktable onto. Pretty well finished it for now. Took it out for a test drive over bumby grass and sharp inclines and it works just fine and is not easily prone to tipping over.

It’s looking good Kevin , do you need any quick release pins for 1/4 or 5/16 holes ?

Doobie

Got back to working on my Makita motorized carrier mod to outfit my Festool 1080 MFT worktable onto. Pretty well finished it for now. Took it out for a test drive over bumby grass and sharp inclines and it works just fine and is not easily prone to tipping over.

It’s looking good Kevin , do you need any quick release pins for 1/4 or 5/16 holes ?

You know what maybe. Show me a pick of the 5/16ths. The pin I would need would need to be around 5 inches long. I used some jig hardware, but I’m not crazy about how it is working for one area of my assembly.

You know what maybe. Show me a pick of the 5/16ths. The pin I would need would need to be around 5 inches long. I used some jig hardware, but I’m not crazy about how it is working for one area of my assembly.

Okay , I’ll be back in the shop tomorrow , I’ll give you the length and it’s 5/16.

Hey Kevin. This is the size we have in 5/16 it has a 2 and a half inch capacity , then we have a 1/4 inch , and it goes up to 3 inch capacity.
    Let me know if anything will help.

Doobie

Hey Kevin. This is the size we have in 5/16 it has a 2 and a half inch capacity , then we have a 1/4 inch , and it goes up to 3 inch capacity.

Thanks Brian. Lemme ponder this further.

Thanks Brian. Lemme ponder this further.

Sure thing Kevin.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.528 seconds