dcsimg

Making the switch from truck to SUV

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 115 total)
  • Author

Currently I drive a 2014 Tundra extended cab long bed and have plenty of room for all my tools. I only have a crossbed box in the back and its not a full depth one. I recently moved to the office and have to switch to the company SUV and give the truck to the field guys. I wont need all my tool as often but I want to be able to carry everything I will need and also be able to easily add stuff for specific tasks. Has anyone made this change and what type of storage system did you guys use? I am leaning towards t-stacks right now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can ya fold the seats down flat? Or maybe even take them out completely

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

Any storage system that stacks and locks together should work in the rear storage area of your SUV. I use l-boxxes in the rear seat area of my Silverado crew cab.

Bert

Attachments:
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I have been looking into a 4 runner without the third row of seats instead the slide out tray. It would be intriguing to have your LBOXX’s on the tray so you could slide them out for easy access.

Im thinking some stackable storage and I don’t think I need to fold the seats down I wont be doing the same type of work everyday. Not major construction just small things here and there. The only problem now is side jobs its kind of hard to move sheetrock with an SUV.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The only problem now is side jobs its kind of hard to move sheetrock with an SUV.

If you don’t want to fold down the seats then a tray with full length slides and then stackable storage like L-Boxes would be ideal. Slide it out, get what you want slide it in, no crawling around. As far as side job go a small utility trailer could be an option.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

kent whitten is the guy you want to talk to. hes been driving a suburban for years

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

If you don’t need many tools anymore, try and come up with what you think you will need 95% of the time. Make up a couple boxes that have those items in them. (That is what @Moze does) Maybe keep a small compact 2 wheel cart with you for transporting the boxes. Any of the tool box systems out there are good.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Great thread, I have been looking into a second vehicle as well, just waiting to clear up a couple of jobs first. Robert was another that has a burb, I am sure that he could also be helpful. What I actually wast to get is a jeep. It would be good for my 95%.

Why not a minivan instead of a suv . Take the back seats out . Aslo can fit sheet goods in as well . Ton of space to work and etc .

Always willing to learn .

@Skillman Its not really up to me my current truck is company and the SUV is company as well. Since I moved to the office and the guys in the field need a truck more then I do I have to switch. It understandable but I still need my tools. When there are little things I can do or fix real quick I want to be able too instead or putting it on a list for the guys to do. So I want to be able to carry my basic tools. All my hand tools my drill and impact, my 12v set, but I don’t want them all over the back either. I hate being disorganized. I also need to find a way to carry show material when I do side jobs or work on my house. It maybe that i need to tae my tools out into my personal truck which is small so i would want all the tools easy to move around.

@Skillman Its not really up to me my current truck is company and the SUV is company as well. Since I moved to the office and the guys in the field need a truck more then I do I have to switch. It understandable but I still need my tools. When there are little things I can do or fix real quick I want to be able too instead or putting it on a list for the guys to do. So I want to be able to carry my basic tools. All my hand tools my drill and impact, my 12v set, but I don’t want them all over the back either. I hate being disorganized. I also need to find a way to carry show material when I do side jobs or work on my house. It maybe that i need to tae my tools out into my personal truck which is small so i would want all the tools easy to move around.

Okay now I understand.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

IT won’t be a bad switch, it all depends on what you are use to. With an L-boxx system it will be a lot easier.

We have suburbans on the farm along with trucks. And my cruiser is a ranch wagon. They all have good and bad about them.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I’ve been driving an SUV all week while my truck is in the shop. it sucks. I feel so disorganized

I’ve been driving an SUV all week while my truck is in the shop. it sucks. I feel so disorganized

What’s the truck in the shop for .

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Is vote one of the stacking storage systems – whichever fits your needs the best. For me, it was the DeWalt Tough System. I love that setup and can’t imagine using anything else.

Resident Sign Guy

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Summer truck is an old Chev 1/2 ton extended cab.
    Winter truck is a 4 WD tahoe.
    I am finding the L-boxxes very handy.

Nice thing about the Tahoe is the dark glass. Less chance for tool theft.
    Moving sheet goods is a PITA but, that is why the have delivery trucks and young strong guys to move stuff around.

I have had 3 different Suberbans over the years. They were the ideal unit when the kids were small.

Depends on what you are hauling for tools and what you want to haul for materials. My older suburban I could fit a whole lift of 3/4 maple plywood and close the door. The new suburbans you can’t. Seats mess it up. I haul just about anything I want with mine, except the long rail on my festool ts55 is kind of cumbersome, as well as a 78″ level.

Oh and there’s always the possibility that in a bad roll over accident, you are going to be the human pin cushion.

But beyond that it’s great! Warm tools…my babies are pampered. A builder I work for says I’m crazy. I love it.

And yeah, I’m still stupid busy. Jeff wanted me to come over for a bit. Should be about Christmas before it slows down some if I can ever get out of my shop.

Glad to hear from you @KentWhitten!!! Very cool that you are staying busy…hopefully profitable too 😉

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Nice to hear that the urban is still working out for you. Anyone have any thoughts on the older Durango’s with the hemi?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.592 seconds