dcsimg

Making How-To Videos for Dummies. HELP!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Sure sounds like a lot of work goes into some of these videos. I think it’s way over my head. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Oh man, My head is spinning even more,
    So Jim mentioned the amount of time to download wow, what about a short video shot from a cell phone, do I need an account or something from you tube?

yah you still need a youtube account and depending on how long the video is, it will determine the size and time needed to upload.

One thing i want to add or get is a microphone for my recordings. something like one of these
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/instamic-the-smartest-and-smallest-microphone

i just don’t trust the initial product, usually it needs time to work out the kinks.

Oh man, My head is spinning even more,
    So Jim mentioned the amount of time to download wow, what about a short video shot from a cell phone, do I need an account or something from you tube?

yah you still need a youtube account and depending on how long the video is, it will determine the size and time needed to upload.

One thing i want to add or get is a microphone for my recordings. something like one of these
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/instamic-the-smartest-and-smallest-microphone

i just don’t trust the initial product, usually it needs time to work out the kinks.

I know when my wife posted the wedding video on youtube it took a good couple hours to post (And the file was only maybe 1 GB). Hope you don’t have any internet connection issues because you’d then have to start all over again.

Doobie

I’m shooting with which is a Canon 7D and the lighting setup that I’ve been using so far.

You got me looking at some pricey cameras last night. Then I came to my senses and said to myself that I should just try to make do with what I’ve got for now and see how that goes with my Nikon Coolpix camera first.

I’m shooting with which is a Canon 7D and the lighting setup that I’ve been using so far.

You got me looking at some pricey cameras last night. Then I came to my senses and said to myself that I should just try to make do with what I’ve got for now and see how that goes with my Nikon Coolpix camera first.

Just shoot something small with what you have, upload it to You Tube as is. That will get you started with getting the feel of it. How about a quick tour around your shop? We like shop tours here.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Hmmm some great info on here! I am a bit short on time these days with the family commitments, but it seems like something fun to do someday. I like that the technology keeps improving as well. Seems like you can shoot a pretty professional looking video with even the most basic equipment (although I hear there is some skill required as well… haha).

Doobie

Just shoot something small with what you have, upload it to You Tube as is. That will get you started with getting the feel of it. How about a quick tour around your shop? We like shop tours here.

Good idea. That might be my first one. A shop tour.

Do you have to disable any GPS locator function when doing shop videos that are built in to the camera? Mine has that ability, but I don’t know if that’s just for photos. Wouldn’t some criminal figuring out where I live.

Do you have to disable any GPS locator function when doing shop videos that are built in to the camera? Mine has that ability, but I don’t know if that’s just for photos. Wouldn’t some criminal figuring out where I live.

I don’t know anything about the GPS thing. I don’t even know if my camera has it, but if it did I would want it permanently disabled.

Doobie

I don’t know anything about the GPS thing. I don’t even know if my camera has it, but if it did I would want it permanently disabled.

You might want to check that Jim. I only became aware of mine when I was travelling to another country (think it was Cuba) and they had warnings about it not being on while in the country somewhere. I looked in my manual, found it in its menu, and sure enough it had it on by default or simply upon initial setup when I got it I may have toggled for it to be on and didn’t know what it was.

I need to check if mine is on. Can’t remember where I left it at and whether it applies to video as well as still pics.

You might want to check that Jim. I only became aware of mine when I was travelling to another country (think it was Cuba) and they had warnings about it not being on while in the country somewhere. I looked in my manual, found it in its menu, and sure enough it had it on by default or simply upon initial setup when I got it I may have toggled for it to be on and didn’t know what it was.

I need to check if mine is on. Can’t remember where I left it at and whether it applies to video as well as still pics.

Yes, it had it. It was turned off. Thanks for the heads up!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Yes, it had it. It was turned off. Thanks for the heads up!

I didn’t even know cameras had that capability. But, then, mine are so old….

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah but that rabbit hole goes deep. I think if you had the money, i’d go for a 5d mark 2 to get a little cheaper and price and pick up a good prime lens. You’d be set, the video coming off those are amazing, in fact some movie studios shoot primarily with them now.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

yah but that rabbit hole goes deep. I think if you had the money, i’d go for a 5d mark 2 to get a little cheaper and price and pick up a good prime lens. You’d be set, the video coming off those are amazing, in fact some movie studios shoot primarily with them now.

That’s what my son has is the 5D Mark2,

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Great point! I should be checking if my pictures or video has any geotagging metadata. I’ll have to look further into this.

A Working Pro since 2004

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Great point! I should be checking if my pictures or video has any geotagging metadata. I’ll have to look further into this.

depends where you upload them, imgur automatically strips all the geo code and you can tell android to not add geo coding to it and i think google photos also strips it.

Doobie

depends where you upload them, imgur automatically strips all the geo code and you can tell android to not add geo coding to it and i think google photos also strips it.

You know this for sure? Doesn’t sound like it. I’d like to know for sure myself.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Kevin,
    I would say that your Canon Coolpix would not have and geo code in it. Only cameras with GPS built in would have that info.
    On the upload side of it, that would have to be looked into.

I have a fairly new camera Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, that thing takes awesome video. But I have to play with the settings to figure out converting it to a format that can be uploaded and viewed to YouTube. As far as I know there is no GPS on that camera, so no geo tag info.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

woodman_412

My uncle has a 5D mark II that I borrowed a couple weeks ago to try out. It is definitely a great camera. I’ve had a Canon 30D for about 9 years that has been my go to camera for shooting stills but it was made long before DSLR video capability came out. I picked up the 7D that I’m using now second hand last week which was much cheaper than buying new so that’s what I’m shooting my videos with. I tried a camcorder before I bought the 7D but wasn’t happy with it so ended up returning it to the store. I’m going to sell my 30D since I have no need for it now that I have the 7D. I’m super happy with the 7D so far especially with the video quality.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

Kevin,
    I would say that your Canon Coolpix would not have and geo code in it. Only cameras with GPS built in would have that info.

Mine does have it. I just haven’t checked whether it is currently on or off.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Let’s not forget Dan Pattison’s YouTube channel. Got some good production values.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.766 seconds