dcsimg

Making A Metal Window Frame

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Needed a new windshield for my RZR and wanted to use ‘real’ glass rather then the normal Lexan this time, The only way to use glass is to mount it in a metal frame which I had to make. The original plan was to put a hinge 3″ up from the bottom all the way across for an opening/closing vent and also it would enable the entire upper glass portion to fold down, Just like the old Jeeps did.

Started out by making the pattern out of paper, Then found these plastic pre-made vents which changed everything. Decided incoming air might be nicer above my head rather then in the chest/face, And to keep things simple I eliminated the hinge…. (At least on this first prototype)…. I can always make another one if I don’t like it lol.

Here’s some progress pics of cutting it out with my Bosch ‘D’ handle jigsaw, The frame is done and getting painted today by a friend who owns a body shop.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Needed a new windshield for my RZR and wanted to use ‘real’ glass rather then the normal Lexan this time, The only way to use glass is to mount it in a metal frame which I had to make. The original plan was to put a hinge 3″ up from the bottom all the way across for an opening/closing vent and also it would enable the entire upper glass portion to fold down, Just like the old Jeeps did.

Looks good Dabbs, will you have a auto glass Co. cut you a safety glass for it? I think the Jeep type windshield is a great idea.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Started out by making the pattern out of paper, Then found these plastic pre-made vents which changed everything. Decided incoming air might be nicer above my head rather then in the chest/face, And to keep things simple I eliminated the hinge…. (At least on this first prototype)…. I can always make another one if I don’t like it lol.

Here’s some progress pics of cutting it out with my Bosch ‘D’ handle jigsaw, The frame is done and getting painted today by a friend who owns a body shop.

I like it! Glass is the way to go. No scratches. Your going to like the vents. A little extra air is always nice on a hot day. If your prototype doesn’t work out for you I know somewhere you could send it. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Looks good so far. How will you install glass in it ?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice project. The clear glass will be super nice on the buggy.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous

Got the paint done yesterday, I was going to just go black but got the big cool idea to match the color with the buggy.. The Polaris dealer said it’s unavailable so I took the hood in to a Professional auto body paint store who shot it with their fancy camera to make me some, Great idea right? Well they dropped the ball miserably, Wasn’t even close. Wasted $30 and a whole lot of time and energy painting it for nothing &%$@$^^*!!..

Then yesterday just before getting ready to paint it black the Polaris dealer called and said he did get it but only in rattle cans, UGHH!!

So I took one more chance and shot it with a Genuine Polaris Factory Color touch up rattle can lol, I put on 4 coats then my buddy finished it off with 5 coats of clear. Here’s a pic of before the clear coat, You can see the little red hood I’m trying to match. I think it’ll be ok now, I’ll find out this afternoon

Anonymous

Looks good Dabbs, will you have a auto glass Co. cut you a safety glass for it?

Looks good so far. How will you install glass in it ?

Nice project. The clear glass will be super nice on the buggy.

I’m taking it to the glass store later today, I’m using laminated safety glass 1/4″ thick. They’ll cut it to fit and depending on how much more cost to install it they’ll get that job too, It’s really not that tough of a job. I actually have a bunch of the same rubber seal they’ll use, It’s left over from the windshield I put in a sandrail I had about 10 years ago

Anonymous

I like it! Glass is the way to go. No scratches. Your going to like the vents. A little extra air is always nice on a hot day. If your prototype doesn’t work out for you I know somewhere you could send it. lol

Hey @ron, On these vents you asked about they’re actually made by Arctic Cat for the Prowler windshields. Part# 1436-809, $34 each….. Can be mounted on 1/4″ Lexan or metal as thin as 12 gauge like I used, They even came with two sets of screws (long/short) and some nice cut-out templates. I figured they’d save me some work not having to cut out a vent and install a hinge in the metal etc etc etc…..

I’ll keep ya in mind if this truly turns out to be a prototype 🙂

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Nice project and seems everyone else agrees. Please post finished project pics. Ya might want to copyright it lol

Anonymous

Nice project and seems everyone else agrees. Please post finished project pics. Ya might want to copyright it lol

Too late, I snoozed and I loozed lol. There’s already a couple aftermarket companies out there making a similar windshield, I’ve been wanting to do this for like 5 years but didn’t act on it like they did….. I even thought about buying one of theirs too but didn’t like the $500 price tag, I’ll have about $200 in this one.

And I already had two guys come in to my buddy’s paint shop each wanting one lol, He told them $350. Don’t know if I’m interested in doing it or not yet…. I did give the pattern to another buddy who is going to make his own

Nice job Dabbs. You have that ability to take an idea and make it a well finished item. For someone that has done no real metal working, how does the metal frame get cut out and shaped?

Anonymous

Nice job Dabbs. You have that ability to take an idea and make it a well finished item. For someone that has done no real metal working, how does the metal frame get cut out and shaped?

Thanks Lon, I had to do it old school with a jigsaw. Then followed up with a file to de-burr and clean up the edges, but I will say this time I did finally get my angle grinder out with a flapper wheel on it to round over/bevel the top edge a bit so as not to cut into my rag cab roof.

I could have had it cut out with either a cnc water jet or laser machine, Would have cost another $75 though

Anonymous

Well another delay, The glass dude has it and should be done today. I heard that last Friday and yesterday too so we’ll see, I can’t bitch too much as I did some horse trading with him and ended up getting it done for free.

Here’s the latest pics of it after the 5 coats of clear, It does match perfectly now. This red is so hard to judge cuz it changes depending on how the light hits it. The first pic you can see how the fenders even appear lighter and darker from each other, But the frame does too right along with them so it’s all good

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Well another delay, The glass dude has it and should be done today. I heard that last Friday and yesterday too so we’ll see, I can’t bitch too much as I did some horse trading with him and ended up getting it done for free.

Here’s the latest pics of it after the 5 coats of clear, It does match perfectly now. This red is so hard to judge cuz it changes depending on how the light hits it. The first pic you can see how the fenders even appear lighter and darker from each other, But the frame does too right along with them so it’s all good

Man I think it looks great!!! Color is very very close.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nice job on the colour match.
    Will you have any type of damper between the frame and body mounts? I know a lot of Jeeps end up with cracked windshields because there is no give between the two.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Color looks good.
    Isn’t that windshield supposed to be made out of tempered glass? Laminated of course.

Anonymous

Man I think it looks great!!! Color is very very close.

Nice job on the colour match.
    Will you have any type of damper between the frame and body mounts? I know a lot of Jeeps end up with cracked windshields because there is no give between the two.

Success!! Got it back from the glass guy and installed last night, Kinda wish I would’ve used black headed mounting screws now but oh well. They do get covered up anyway by how the front of the doors wrap around and Velcro to the side edges of the windshield frame, so they’ll only show when I take the doors off. Might change them though lol….

Yes I cushioned the mating surfaces of the windshield frame to the roll bar, Actually used two things. The first being 1/8″ thick foam insulating tape on the roll bar, It comes in 2″ wide rolls but I cut it down to about 3/4″ wide to cover just the mating area (screw holes). Then the second is the outside trim I used on the frame has a 3/8″ round rubber seal on the side. (See pic)

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

That loos great. looks like it came from the factory like that. Awesome job ^5

Anonymous

Color looks good.
    Isn’t that windshield supposed to be made out of tempered glass? Laminated of course.

Yes, I used 1/4″ thick laminated safety glass. It’s the same stuff as automotive windshields, Even had a few choices of tinted. Decided to go clear as I do some night riding too, Sometimes it’s hard enough to see where I’m going lol

Anonymous

That loos great. looks like it came from the factory like that. Awesome job ^5

Thanks, I’ve been offered $400 for it or to make two more. That’d be about $200 profit each, Not sure if I want to get into that or not yet lol

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.667 seconds