dcsimg

making a Krenov plane course

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

This was a two day course (2 Saturdays) and the cost of the around $140, which is apparently much more than in previous years. This includes the O1 plane iron, the wood (Jatoba), and lunch/refreshments for both days, not bad!! The instructor Steve was knowledgable and enthusiastic about his craft which makes things fun. We started with a very quick bit of theory and history of (wooden) planes and James Krenov and away we went. We got to use the plethora of Lee Valley tools at our disposal to make the plane, so that was good to test drive a few things that were on the wish list. Each step was discussed then shown on a test piece, then we each took turns executing the process until we all got the results we needed for a proper working plane. Steve was good to stress the important parts of the process and we all ended up with a sweet tool that makes super thin shavings! I would recommend this course to anyone who’s into this stuff, it was money well spent in my opinion, and to be honest I doubt LV makes much if anything off this. They offered a lot, including clean up after classes and i got more than what I was expecting.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Sweet welcome yellaD, I took this course with you and I love it, definitely worth the time and money to go. You should post a picture of your plane and see how different the top is compared to mine.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks @yellaD I have seen the courses advertised but this is the first feedback I have read.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Andy sounds like a very nice course. Too bad no LV near me though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

yellaD
    Pro

Hey guys, I finally took some pics of the Krenov smoothing plane I made. I can’t believe it works so well, I’m very happy with it. Want to make a jointer next with the knowledge learnt. See what happens, I’ll keep you guys posted in the coming months.

yellaD
    Pro
    yellaD
    Pro

Hey R-Ice, post yours! Have you used it?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Hey R-Ice, post yours! Have you used it?

i’ll go one better and post a video

I haven’t used it yet, I need to make a brass hammer first lol.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Looks really nice, you did a great job. I didn’t see a switch to turn it on.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Hey guys, I finally took some pics of the Krenov smoothing plane I made. I can’t believe it works so well, I’m very happy with it. Want to make a jointer next with the knowledge learnt. See what happens, I’ll keep you guys posted in the coming months.

well let me know when you start your second one, as I want a jointer as well. I am sure we can probably make one in a day this time and not really have to separate it into two days.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice, the video was great. The plane really works nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Ni LV near me. But I have made a couple shoulder planes.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

r-ice, the video was great. The plane really works nice.

omg, I didn’t realize how great it works, I will for sure make some. I even went out and bought some of the wax that goes on the sole of the plane to make it even smoother. I think next plane will have to be a jointer plane.

yellaD
    Pro

Sure, R-ice. Would you use Jatoba again? how about 1.5″ wide blade iron? The instructor had the 1.25″ iron for his Maple jointer, and his reasoning was that rarely do you need to “join” eddges that are wider than that. For flattening a slab, the smaller width has less resistance and easier to use (therefore faster in the long run).

moe pics

Wow that looks very nice, love the piece of wood under your plane also.

@r-ice
    looking good , nice video. You guys have made some nice hand planes.

yellaD
    Pro

Hey all here are some pics of my plane mallet.
    materials list:
    1.25″ dia X 3″ 360 Brass
    6″ handle made of glued up pallet wood

I drilled a 3/4″ hole through my brass piece, made a tenon in my handle stock and rounded it off with chisel and file to fit through the 3/4″ hole. I sculpted the handle with an oscilating sander with 50 grit, then I finished it off through the grits with my Festool DTS 400. There is no oil on finish on it, I think I’ll just leave it. I could have done the curvature where the handle meets the brass a little better but overall I’m OK with it.

Beautiful work! Would love to make a plane some day. The mallet came out really nice too!

Orange County, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Sure, R-ice. Would you use Jatoba again? how about 1.5″ wide blade iron? The instructor had the 1.25″ iron for his Maple jointer, and his reasoning was that rarely do you need to “join” eddges that are wider than that. For flattening a slab, the smaller width has less resistance and easier to use (therefore faster in the long run).

actually I don’t mind whatever wood we use, I don’t have a preference. I do also want to make it 1.25. Hopefully I can get my garage cleared out sometime soon as well so I can start using my tools heh.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

This came in today from Jay Bates …

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I know this is an older thread, that has a new post, but does anyone know if LV still offers this hands-on workshop, I didn’t see it on the list for the Halifax NS store (the closest for me)?

Will

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.771 seconds