dcsimg

main supply line leak

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

So I had a 1″ PVC main line leak at the riser right where it goes vertical up to the house shutoff valve.

This is the elbow that failed and was leaking.

It was a difficult fix because I had to crawl under a concrete slab to reach in 16″ to do the fix laying down in a trench soaking wet from the leaked water.

If you look at the leaking joint up close, you can see all around that joint there are grooves made by water.

Pretty amazing, I think the leak has been going on for some time, and gone undetected until we had a very wet two weeks of rain that saturated the soil to the point we noticed the leak.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If you look at the leaking joint up close, you can see all around that joint there are grooves made by water.

Pretty amazing, I think the leak has been going on for some time, and gone undetected until we had a very wet two weeks of rain that saturated the soil to the point we noticed the leak.

Man that joint was leaking for some time from looking at those at those grooves. Bet you see a drop in your water bill.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

@Miamicuse wow , lucky you noticed it , imagine if it burst of just cracked off ,
    Did you use similar material , just cut straight from the damages and redo it
    Definitely not a nice place to work.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@Miamicuse wow , lucky you noticed it , imagine if it burst of just cracked off ,

Did you use similar material , just cut straight from the damages and redo it

Definitely not a nice place to work.

The pipe coming in horizontally was bent and strained, causing the elbow to be stressed and failed over time.

I waited for all the rain and water to drain from the trench, then when I cut the pipes, tons of water came off the pipe as the horizontal pipe returns to it’s more “natural position”. The entire trench got wet away. I was ready to go and no choice, as rain was forecast to come again, I threw some plastic sheets down then went down there, I also excavated just enough to fit my body in sideways…which made it very uncomfortable.

After the repair.

The primer and cement smell in there, since it’s not well ventilated, was very strong. That was no fun at all.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We typically do not use any fittings below grade. We use a continuous polypropylene line from the shutoff in the yard all the way to where it comes through the floor of the house and terminates at the meter. Some jurisdictions still even require solid copper from the house to the street.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

We typically do not use any fittings below grade. We use a continuous polypropylene line from the shutoff in the yard all the way to where it comes through the floor of the house and terminates at the meter. Some jurisdictions still even require solid copper from the house to the street.

That depends on the jurisdiction too. In the older house in the 50s 60s typically those were galvanized threaded piping, then it went through a period of 70s and 80s where they used 1″ PVC, then the switched to copper for a short period of time, then to poly. The depth also went from 6″ minimum to 12″ minimum to 18″ minimum. Inside the house it’s typically either galvanized or copper. Then they went to polybutylene (Yikes!) and CPVC (yikes) then PEX and still come copper.

This one was originally piped in SCH40 PVC back in 1980 and all houses on the street have 1″ PVC riser. If I have time to do it I would replace the entire line from meter to house with 1″ copper or poly. But at least I have water now and I was just really surprised at the way the failed joint looked.

I still am unsure if those grooves were made by the leaking water over time, eroded the PVC, or was this some bad joint made by the installer, trying to shave off the pipe to make it fit at that bad angle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.296 seconds