dcsimg

Made in USA (do you care?)

This topic contains 175 replies, has 67 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 178 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I certainly do care, but it’s not very often that we even have the choice anymore. Sad situation.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

In our home we buy almost everything used. Avoid taxes wherever possible and deny profit to the merchandisers. Appliances, clothing, home furnishings, toys for the grandkids- as much as we can. It’s about the only voice we have left.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

I certainly do care, but it’s not very often that we even have the choice anymore. Sad situation.

Some of Dewalts new cordless tools are made in USA again . There bringing jobs back which is good .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie
    Pro

Some of Dewalts new cordless tools are made in USA again . There bringing jobs back which is good .

Problem for me is I’ve never much cared for Dewalt overall. I own very little of their products. The items they excel at to me for my dollars are few and far between.

Clev08
    Pro

It it is not made in the USA I would prefer it to be designed and developed in the United States.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Problem for me is I’ve never much cared for Dewalt overall. I own very little of their products. The items they excel at to me for my dollars are few and far between.

They used to be very well built and reliable tools at one time but like a lot of brands they have went way down hill. Nowadays it is much cheaper to buy a new tool than it is to fix it .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Good to hear, Just hope they put the quality of a US made tool back into those products.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Good to hear, Just hope they put the quality of a US made tool back into those products.

I believe it’s has to do with costs that’s why they have bought it back . Minimum wages are going up over seas plus the fuel costs .

They used to be very well built and reliable tools at one time but like a lot of brands they have went way down hill. Nowadays it is much cheaper to buy a new tool than it is to fix it .

I pretty much used Dewalt cordless tools my whole life plus there chop/miter saw and portable table saws . Until Recently I bought some 12v Milwaukee tools . Never really had a problem with Dewalt .

Always willing to learn .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s because DeWalt is getting good tax incentives to build here. It’s the same reason Makita has a plant in Buford Ga.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

Dewalt originally built their name on making GREAT radial arm saws. They did go on afterwards doing various other items…then they got bought by what most saw as the DIY brand of Black and Decker. Well, from there it just went downhill and sideways by and large imo.

I love it when products have a trickle down effect with quality when two companies merge or get eaten by each other. Dewalt had the opposite. Brand mis-identity and brand line’s confusion and over expansion also became issues as the Dewalt name got milked to death.

I myself own very little Dewalt products. They do make some good stuff, but to me it is few and far between or I simply don’t trust their brand in certain areas. Actually, in many areas.

Why is that? Good tool brand getting absorbed by much larger lousy tool company. Not a good equation in my mind. I don’t think I’m out to lunch on that perception and equation of that.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s because DeWalt is getting good tax incentives to build here. It’s the same reason Makita has a plant in Buford Ga.

Really good news and just goes to show that cheap labor is not the only reason that companies elect to manufacture off shore.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

then they got bought by what most saw as the DIY brand of Black and Decker.

Black&Decker also had a Industrial line of tools for the trades person that were very good. That is the line of tools the DeWalt name took over. You can’t kill this 3/8 drill!!!

Dirty

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

It depends the product like for example drill bits. I have some made in the USA triumph twist drill bits and there is a night and day difference between those and the best most expensive bits at home depot. If I have a choice u would try to buy my tools being made in Germany USA Japan or one like those.

Clev08
    Pro

Dewalt originally built their name on making GREAT radial arm saws. They did go on afterwards doing various other items…then they got bought by what most saw as the DIY brand of Black and Decker. Well, from there it just went downhill and sideways by and large imo.

I love it when products have a trickle down effect with quality when two companies merge or get eaten by each other. Dewalt had the opposite. Brand mis-identity and brand line’s confusion and over expansion also became issues as the Dewalt name got milked to death.

I myself own very little Dewalt products. They do make some good stuff, but to me it is few and far between or I simply don’t trust their brand in certain areas. Actually, in many areas.

Why is that? Good tool brand getting absorbed by much larger lousy tool company. Not a good equation in my mind. I don’t think I’m out to lunch on that perception and equation of that.

My dad had a lot of dewalt stuff at one time but I think all he has left is an old radial arm saw that was given to him. The thing works really well

Doobie
    Pro

then they got bought by what most saw as the DIY brand of Black and Decker.

Black&Decker also had a Industrial line of tools for the trades person that were very good. That is the line of tools the DeWalt name took over. You can’t kill this 3/8 drill!!!

I’ve got an old one of those buried somewhere downstairs handed down from my dad as well. Can’t say I ever use it lately though, but I did use it lots many years ago.

I came close one time of using it for a trade-in incentive to get a discount on a new tool deal at HD one time. Didn’t have the heart to do it though.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

My dad has an old blacker and decker chipping hammer.The thing still runs strong and hits hard. Its super heavy and I will use the hilti over it any day but i would bet money it will last longer than the hilti.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have 3 corded B&D tools, they are over 40 years old and still keep working. One is a bench grinder that gets used everyday.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous

I have 3 corded B&D tools, they are over 40 years old and still keep working.

Yeah, the B&D Industrial, Automotive and Professional lines were all good stuff back in the day. I have maybe a half dozen models that I still use occasionally. It’s what morphed into DeWalt. The DeWalt stuff that first came out in the early 90’s was just B&D’s best stuff with a color change, before the bean counters really got to it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

My dad has an old blacker and decker chipping hammer.The thing still runs strong and hits hard. Its super heavy and I will use the hilti over it any day but i would bet money it will last longer than the hilti.

Yeah, the B&D Industrial, Automotive and Professional lines were all good stuff back in the day. I have maybe a half dozen models that I still use occasionally.

Yes I agree that in their time the B&D Industrial if power tools was good and well built. In todays world of ergonomics and all the other factors that are involved, like Austin said he grab the hilti first because it’s very ergonomic and one of the best hammers on the market.

The DeWalt stuff that first came out in the early 90’s was just B&D’s best stuff with a color change,

This is true, just a color change and right after the buyout they were still built in the USA.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sparky603 wrote:

The DeWalt stuff that first came out in the early 90’s was just B&D’s best stuff with a color change,

This is true, just a color change and right after the buyout they were still built in the USA.

It is why I have so much DeWalt. I started with B&D then B&D Industrial and then followed them to DeWalt. I was primarily DeWalt until I tried the Bosch stuff off this site. I like the Bosch tools better.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.643 seconds