dcsimg

Made in USA (do you care?)

This topic contains 175 replies, has 67 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 2 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 178 total)
  • Author

KenW
    Pro

Don’t really care as long as it’s quality.

Agreed! I want quality. A nice product that lasts as it should.

The other issue is off shore banking and sub company’s that allow for corps. ti hide money. Just wonder if it were a flat tax for them if it would make a difference.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

The other issue is off shore banking and sub company’s that allow for corps. ti hide money. Just wonder if it were a flat tax for them if it would make a difference.

It would be nice to level the playing field by closing down the ability of those tiny nations to offer tax havens.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I had the Dewalt 20v made in the USA. I it is actually quite good and well made. I guess if it’s assembled here that’s half the battle. My problem lies more with the fact that tools made in China, though maybe to very high standards, are still made in a non democratic society where employee standards differ from ours (carte blanche statement and don’t mean to get into the whole political side of it). Here, I enjoy many freedoms afforded to me by our society. I also belong to and have been a member of a Union for 17 years. As much as I think we wine and complain about work and whatnot, we are more likely to give a better product (I don’t mean just the USA) when you come from a democratic country that values personal freedom. So anyways, I still have stuff ,are in China and they are great tools or whatever, I just try to get products made elsewhere when I can. I’ve been raving about ,y recent Makita tools but they are ,are mostly in the UK and Japan.

Yes sir Chris, some great points you made.

That being said, I would rather buy / support north America / Canadian made products first, and so on, but I do have many different Bosch tools, made in Germany, Switzerland, Mexico Malaysia, Japan, and some from China (FL12) great little light, and vegetables well built, plus the recent jacket, says made in Vietnam,

I guess it goes back to what some members have been saying, it depends on the quality that the company wants to have China put in.

heck! I tried to support GMC which some are Canadian, US made and the head office is in Oshawa. I tried to support them but what did I get, crap service with a truck design made in the 60’s. Why should your radio lag between button presses. what the heck…

Clev08
    Pro

I do care about my tools being made in the USA. I hesitate a lot less to buy something made in the USA, some sort of American pride I guess. I like that some of Milwaukee new hand tools are made here

lulu
    Pro

i care very much. but unfortunately America doesn’t care. what happened to patriotism?

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

I do care about my tools being made in the USA. I hesitate a lot less to buy something made in the USA, some sort of American pride I guess. I like that some of Milwaukee new hand tools are made here

Made in Canada, USA, or any other western nation trumps any country where companies go to save labour costs. Throw in Japan and a couple of other non-western nations known for quality too

Give my Japanese, English, German, Canadian, or American any day. I will gladly pay the extra labour cost to know Im supporting quality.

Great stuff can come out of cheaper labour places, as they make it as good as the company is willing to pay for – Bosch tools made in asia are still better than no-name stuff likely made just around the corner. Id still prefer to see more manufacturing back in the first world though

i care very much. but unfortunately America doesn’t care. what happened to patriotism?

It’s slowly dieing before our eyes . For companies its dollars and cents .

Always willing to learn .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like that some of Milwaukee new hand tools are made here

but unfortunately America doesn’t care.

There have recently been big tax incentives passed to get companies to bring manufacturing back to the USA. hat’s why DeWalt has started building in the US.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Made in Canada, USA, or any other western nation trumps any country where companies go to save labour costs. Throw in Japan and a couple of other non-western nations known for quality too

Give my Japanese, English, German, Canadian, or American any day. I will gladly pay the extra labour cost to know Im supporting quality.

Great stuff can come out of cheaper labour places, as they make it as good as the company is willing to pay for – Bosch tools made in asia are still better than no-name stuff likely made just around the corner. Id still prefer to see more manufacturing back in the first world though

I have to say yes and no, tools and smaller industries i would like back in first world however cars, i leave to Germany and Japan. I don’t know what it is about domestic cars and trucks, but they just don’t hit the mark.

it’s dollars and cents for most consumers too

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

it’s dollars and cents for most consumers too

Shame that it has come down to money on both sides. Unfortunately most consumers will buy what they can afford and that tells the companies that it is OK to keep bringing the merchandise from overseas.
    A small group of people saying they will stop buying the crap that is brought in is not going to impact sales.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Clev08
    Pro

@r-ice my Ford Taurus is build like a tank(not really though) I got hit my a Prius and all it did was bend my license plate and she had a cracked bumper.
    Some people only see the price tag even though one quality tool may last ten times as long and cost you 1/3 the cost in the long run.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@r-ice my Ford Taurus is build like a tank(not really though) I got hit my a Prius and all it did was bend my license plate and she had a cracked bumper.
    Some people only see the price tag even though one quality tool may last ten times as long and cost you 1/3 the cost in the long run.

I’ve driven alot of domestics and owned 2 and by far the imports are better made and have Bette fit and finish. My Ford escaped started to rust the first winter, the plastics inside the suv were never lined up lol. Is your Ford a new one or old? The older ones were not made with crumple zones, and you want crumple zones for safety.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Does anyone recall the big stink that was being made many years ago about globalism? Well, now we are all reaping the rewards of allowing that to proceed. High paying manufacturing jobs are gone, industries closed, third world nations are reduced to slave labour, all in the name of profit. The big corporations are bigger that most small countries and are running the world for their own gain.
    The market for quality tools and for quality products is shrinking. The average joe just can’t afford either.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Does anyone recall the big stink that was being made many years ago about globalism? Well, now we are all reaping the rewards of allowing that to proceed. High paying manufacturing jobs are gone, industries closed, third world nations are reduced to slave labour, all in the name of profit. The big corporations are bigger that most small countries and are running the world for their own gain.
    The market for quality tools and for quality products is shrinking. The average joe just can’t afford either.

Very well put,
    We see that first hand here in Quebec,
    I guess you heard from news able that Québec born aeronautical company getting government help to save jobs, well apparently he jobs that will be saved are not even in Quebec, kinda makes me sad to see how this might turn out.

@58chev had some great points as well.

Doobie
    Pro

One of the first things I look at when buying a tool is where it is made. That will dictate a lot for me.

Clev08
    Pro

I’ve driven alot of domestics and owned 2 and by far the imports are better made and have Bette fit and finish. My Ford escaped started to rust the first winter, the plastics inside the suv were never lined up lol. Is your Ford a new one or old? The older ones were not made with crumple zones, and you want crumple zones for safety.

It is a 1999 not sure on the crumple zones. I can’t complain about anything about the fit and finishes. I don’t have any rattles when driving down the road, my friend got a toyota solara and he said it had 3 rattles in the first 6 months. I can’t give an opinion on any new Ford vehicles but mine has been great.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

There are many factors that influence the quality of a tool, and I am not sure that country of origin is one of the big ones. I don’t hold it against companies that choose to move their operations overseas. At the end of the day, they are there to make money, and as long as they keep doing that then they’re acting in their own self interest. If you want to buy a tool made in the USA, you can vote with your wallet. I feel like America produces almost any tool you could imagine, at a high enough price point. You won’t be able to buy it at Home Depot, though.

The market for quality tools and for quality products is shrinking

There is a small resurgence at least – possibly the one thing I will credit the Hipster movement for.

There are now lots of companies putting out premium content at a premium price, and having trouble keeping up with demand. There is a market for brands like Lie Nielson, Veritas, Bad Axe, Festool, and dozens of others – but you wont find those at your local walmart or HD, nor would the average jobber be using those anywhere they can be abused or grow legs

Im kind of hoping the same thing that happened with craft beers will happen with tools. Big boys buying out smaller ones, but keeping the premium branding. There is a market for it, and not everyone wants the cheapest money can buy. Kias might sell well, but so do BMWs

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.997 seconds