dcsimg

Made in USA (do you care?)

This topic contains 175 replies, has 67 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 2 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 178 total)
  • Author

I prefer US and German/Switzerland made products as they seem to be of higher quality. It really comes down to design and specs. You can make a quality product anywhere if it is designed to be high quality.

Orange County, CA

redwood
    Pro

I look at the owner of the product and whether I think they are quality company. My hope is that their products will all be of the quality that I beleive the company stands for, regardless of where it is made.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My hope is that their products will all be of the quality that I beleive the company stands for, regardless of where it is made.

Mark you would think that. There have been 2 recent instances where there is not true Craftsman and Vice Grip. Both companies moved their manufacturing off shore to China and it has been well documented that although the products look the same they are not as high quality as they were were before.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Would I like everything to be made here? Sure but that’s not going to happen with the cheap labor elsewhere. So I just look for quality.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

My hope is that their products will all be of the quality that I beleive the company stands for, regardless of where it is made.

Mark you would think that. There have been 2 recent instances where there is not true Craftsman and Vice Grip. Both companies moved their manufacturing off shore to China and it has been well documented that although the products look the same they are not as high quality as they were were before.

I would be willing to bet that both companies asked for a cheaper made tools and that’s what they got. It’s hard to make something cheaper that wont loose quality.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I would be willing to bet that both companies asked for a cheaper made tools and that’s what they got. It’s hard to make something cheaper that wont loose quality.

Right they went to China to cut costs. The problem is the tools look real close to what you were used to seeing they just don’t function the same. Guys have taken to searching out the USA made Vice Grips still in stock as the new Chinese ones are pure junk compared to the old USA ones. Same deal on the wrenches. Side by side you can see the difference and how they made it overall bigger to compensate for the low quality steel being used. Not to mention the lack of quality control on the wrench size itself. They are just a bit too big to fit the fastener properly.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

redwood
    Pro

And guess what, the internet allows us to see these changes much sooner and those companies then get crossed off the list. Things change and we darn well better adapt. Some people don’t and they will buy Craftsman til the day they die. I’m not one of those.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Whenever I think of Craftsman tools I think of the 1970s and 80s . Im sure a lot of their tools are ok but I have never ever thought about buying any for some strange reason .

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Whenever I think of Craftsman tools I think of the 1970s and 80s . Im sure a lot of their tools are ok but I have never ever thought about buying any for some strange reason .

\
    Most of the Craftsman stuff I have is of 80’s to 90’s vintage. My Bench Grinder(The one I made the table for) has a date stamp of 1964.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

staker
    Pro

I try to stay away from the made in China stuff but its hard to do. When I worked there I had bought a fluke meter and even though made in China and bought in China it was the same quality as if I bought here in Canada, and the price was about the same.

Dave

Not a big fan of China made. Until they are able to stop off shore baking it probably doesn’t matter. I do like a few extra jobs around here. If quality is there I prefer it made in the states.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

I prefer to buy made in USA or Canada over chinese made stuff whenever possible. That also falls to Germany and other quality countries of origin. I have just had too many poor experiences with chinese made tools.

I like to buy US but it’s few harder to get now.

Last year I got a good deal on a Makita Hammer/Impact set from a friend. Was surprised the tools were made in China. That same friend was telling me how good the M12 and M18 Milwaukee tools were. Looked at some of the Milwaukee tools and since they are also made in China, I decided to go with Milwaukee and sold off the Makita stuff.

I grew up in the 70’s and remember when Made in Japan was crap. Now they are one of the better manufacturing countries.

For me, it depends on which China the product is made. I don’t mind Taiwan made stuff. There is a lot of technology in Taiwan and Hong Kong since they have western influence.

I think we as consumers need to be more diligent on knowing where products are manufactured. Hopefully, the manufacturers will wise up when we stop buying the junk stuff and produce quality products for a reasonable price.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Honestly, what brand of power tool (or any tool that is USA made/manufactured) can beat out anything European designed/manufactured? I’m sure you will be hard pressed to find USA tools that can stand up to European standards. (Even Milwaukee/Dewalt tools are still made in China or other foreign regions with only dewalt tools being assembled in the USA as per the box you will see on hardware stores.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I can’t say I’m very fond of stuff made in China but it ends up working it’s way into my life whether I like it or not :S

A Working Pro since 2004

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

@utopia78 honestly its hard to find anything that’s made in USA nowadays, especially for power tools.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

In my shop I have old Stanley planes, Skill saw, Black and Decker sanders. That were made in Canada. I like those oldies.

I even have some way old Roxen Pond wooden planes made in Quebec, Stanly bought out that company early 1900’s.

I tried some China Plywood that was recommended to me. Never again will that crap come thru my hands.

As mentioned, it is up to the company for quality control, regardless of where it was made.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

As mentioned, it is up to the company for quality control, regardless of where it was made.

I think that is a good point, there are a lot of companies that use China for their manufacturing and have really good quality control. Others use it because it is cheap and just don’t care about what the quality of product ends up like as long as they make some money.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Anymore with the world economy, and all the games companies play like “assembled in”, you really don’t know where anything is made. My feeling is that I want a quality tool at a fair price. Where it is made is not as much of an issue.

In some cases, I actually prefer the cheap tool for tools that are more disposable. Wrenches get lost on the jobsite and sockets the same screw bits never seem to get back in the case. I wont spend the money for those, but I do have a good set I keep at the shop.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

i choose quality first every time. If quality is similar I will default to USA. Its even better if they are both one in the same

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.737 seconds