dcsimg

Made in USA (do you care?)

This topic contains 175 replies, has 67 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 178 total)
  • Author

How do you guys feel about things being made in USA (or perhaps, not in China? Such as, preferring that Bosch makes their jigsaws in Switzerland instead of China)

It seems like Channellock and Irwin are paying attention to that “demand” from customers…. with Irwin relabeling NWS pliers (german made) under their brand AND Channellock coming out with USA made screwdrivers

What do you guys think?

http://toolguyd.com/irwin-nws-pliers/
    http://www.tool-rank.com/tool-blog/channellock-announces-new-made-in-the-usa-screwdrivers-201410291713/

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve used more then a few poor quality tools that have been made in the USA. (and germany, Japan etc) I think it needs to be about quality and not branding. Lots of countries can make good quality products.

So no, it doesn’t matter to me.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I prefer buying products made in the USA. Not that we have much of a choice lately. Don’t know how much it matters to me where else in the world they are produced though. I would say if Bosch made there jigsaw in China instead of Switzerland it would be the same product. Company’s speck the product how they want it built.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I stay away from China as much as possible. If you compare a China made tool with another like tool then you see the difference. Good example the USA made Craftsman wrench vs the China made Craftsman wrench. The Chinese one is thicker and has more metal in the head to make up for the lack of quality in the steel being used. It looks the same but its not really the same. Also if you mic the dimensions of the distance between the flats on the wrench the quality control is not there, the wrenches are larger and will not fit the fastener as well/tight. Chinese electronics are about the same not as high a quality. Like I say I try to stay away from them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just like the fact that if it’s made in USA . It puts American’s to work and puts money back into America . Stop at store for food , gas , clothes before work at other stores . All this puts money and jobs in USA for family’s .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous

Bosch tools are made all over the world, Some of my drills say Malasia, I’ve seen some other stuff say Switzerland, Mexico and Indonesia. And my little mini recip saw says China LOL

I care first about getting value for my hard earned dollar – I am going to go for quality as Brad mentions. However, if the US made item is a little more in price I will lean towards the US made item.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

Yeah I would say quality first, then if its a choice and both are quality I will go for the USA product. Its not the first thing I look for.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Anything that comes out of Switzerland is well made compared to most companies , They are miles again of most countries for technology .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I care first about getting value for my hard earned dollar – I am going to go for quality as Brad mentions. However, if the US made item is a little more in price I will lean towards the US made item.

I’m in the same boat. Quality is more important that the COO. Certain countries have a reputation for making junk products and I’m inclined to blame the corporation over the factory.

You can’t tell me that the Chinese don’t have access to high quality steel and advanced manufacturing techniques. It would be much more likely that the powers that be decided they wanted to save a few bucks ( even more than the money they are saving by outsourcing to begin with.) A company with a strong reputation for making quality tools will likely produce quality tools regardless of where that actually occurs.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

Yes, I care.
    I would prefer not to purchase a product made in China.
    I would prefer to purchase a product made in the USA.

Bert

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

For the same product at the same price, just stamped differently, I’d go for the USA tool. Since I’ve never had that happen and have to evaluate each on its own merits, shopping becomes a PITA – comparing price, warranty, specs, etc., and finally, where it was made.
    For the >same< product, price is the driving force.
    I can remember when Made in Japan meant tin whistle junk. I also remember when cameras and electronics from Japan were a symbol of quality.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Quality is the most important for me. It is a plus if it is Made in the USA

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I think German, Swiss, Japan all ‘usually’ mean higher quality. (not always)

I still go for USA if given the option and they are comparable

HF is bittersweet for me.. I love the value on some things, but its all just knock-off stuff made in China

--Steve

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I try to buy as much made (don’t kid yourself…ASSEMBLED ) in the USA as possible. I look the box over and one of the things I like to look at is whether or not it is made here.

But, if I need something…..I need it. No matter where it originates.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I go for the best combination of quality and price. All other things being equal or close I will take made in America. But probably the biggest factor is availability. I have a tendency to buy 10 minutes after I need the tool. So I tend to buy whatever is on the shelf of the nearest tool, big box, or hardware store.

I do care and I do look for tools and products made or assembled here. I also look for quality and good design first…so it may be made anywhere…

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I do care and I do look for tools and products made or assembled here. I also look for quality and good design first…so it may be made anywhere…

I think this is pretty much my stance as well – I want quality/well design first, and I like to support USA labor as much as I can

I will say that finding out COO is sometimes tricky on products, not to mention that it can be tricky that something is manufactured elsewhere but assembled in US or whatnot…

John S

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I stay away from China as much as possible. If you compare a China made tool with another like tool then you see the difference. Good example the USA made Craftsman wrench vs the China made Craftsman wrench. The Chinese one is thicker and has more metal in the head to make up for the lack of quality in the steel being used. It looks the same but its not really the same. Also if you mic the dimensions of the distance between the flats on the wrench the quality control is not there, the wrenches are larger and will not fit the fastener as well/tight. Chinese electronics are about the same not as high a quality. Like I say I try to stay away from them.

I agree with that 100 %. They were getting thicker and beefier in the head even before they went China made. I have some really old Craftsman wrenches and there’s no comparison to the new ones.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I’ve got all kinds of wrenches I’ve picked up a yardsales/flea markets and although they all work, I find myself reaching for the MAC Classic line and Snap-on wrenches first if I have them in the size I need(don’t have many of either brand, mostly just import junk).

I’ve noticed the the true everyhing for a dollar stores seem to be carrying a lot of Made in USA molded plastic items(storage boxes and the like) in the last few years. They are made of extremely thin plastic and I mostly avoid them.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.638 seconds