dcsimg

Machine Sanders (drum, disc, etc)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • Author

I took the sander back 24 hours after bought it… I guess the Masterforce brand is hit and miss. I have their Bench grinder and Drill press. Both have been great… This sanding machine was a huge bust though.

Thanks for the update. That is too bad it performed that poorly for you. It was worth a try as you said. Good luck with your search Jon.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Does anyone use a stationary belt sander in their shop?

I do but use it for metal. I bought a similar one from Craftsman in the 80s. Still going strong. The deal is to check out the tracking mechanism. The one I have is a bit flakey and I need to watch it or the belt will track off center of the rollers.

You must have the same one as me. It’s touchy to get it tracking, and then without warning it just walks off.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

Have a 37″ drum sander at the cabinet shop I worked at. It’s a must have for building doors or wood tops. Also had a 120 x 6″ belt edge sander which was nice for straightening up edges before glueing.

@RonW. what brand is the drum 37″ drum sanders you have? They have powermatic 7.5hp at the local tool store used that I’m looking into getting.

No matter how good you think you are you there is always someone that is better, or can teach you something.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Have a 37″ drum sander at the cabinet shop I worked at. It’s a must have for building doors or wood tops. Also had a 120 x 6″ belt edge sander which was nice for straightening up edges before glueing.

ronw. what brand is the drum 37″ drum sanders you have? They have powermatic 7.5hp at the local tool store used that I’m looking into getting.

It’s an AEM 3 phase sander. I guess it close to 30 yrs old now.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

Thanks, Ron. This one is single phase, but that’s all I have anyway.

No matter how good you think you are you there is always someone that is better, or can teach you something.

@Dan, I have the Powermatic 25″ Drum Sander and use it all the time. It does a great job but definitely likes you to make light passes at a time and not be very aggressive.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

@dan, I have the Powermatic 25″ Drum Sander and use it all the time. It does a great job but definitely likes you to make light passes at a time and not be very aggressive.

that’s good to know. Does it want to burn the wood, or actually bog down the sander?

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

What is a light pass? 1/32″, or 1/4?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

No where near a 1/4! You’d be better of making a couple.passes with a planer if you need to remove that much! Drum sanders typically remove between 1/64th and 1/32nd.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

I was kidding with the quarter. I had a steel city that I could get a heavy 32nd out of, however sometimes it would gum up and start burning the piece. How hard is it to contain the dust?

I was kidding with the quarter. I had a steel city that I could get a heavy 32nd out of, however sometimes it would gum up and start burning the piece. How hard is it to contain the dust?

I look to remove the 1/64 to 1/32 that Jon mentions. It has 2 dust ports above the drums that I hook to one hose with a “Y” adapter. It is not a perfect system and some dust comes off on the roller belt and some comes out of the backside. The majority is captured though.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

Ok. Hopefully I’ll be good then. I have a whole shop cyclone so it should have enough cfm.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

The big AEM will take 1/8 off per pass with some 50 grit paper. lol Not really what the machine is designed to do though.

Ron

Dan wrote:

The big AEM will take 1/8 off per pass with some 50 grit paper. lol Not really what the machine is designed to do though.

Wow, that would be a lot of material at once. I wouldn’t think the sandpaper would like that kind of heat buildup let alone how the wood reacts. Did you do that often @RonW?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Dan wrote:

Wow, that would be a lot of material at once. I wouldn’t think the sandpaper would like that kind of heat buildup let alone how the wood reacts. Did you do that often ronw?

No it was more of an accident when it would happen. But it sure would do it.

Ron

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

That is a lot of material. I guess the 50 grit really helped.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

Bringing home the addition to the shop.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Pictures or it didnt happen

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Man we need pics. Did you end up getting the Powermatic?

Ron

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sounds exciting. New tools.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.022 seconds