dcsimg

Machine Sanders (drum, disc, etc)

This topic contains 94 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 95 total)
  • Author

Not sure if this should go in woodworking thread or here, but I was curious what people thought of some of the various machine sanders available – do you guys consider them more of a specialty machine or are they an essential in the shop? Of course, the type of work you do determines a lot, but for general woodworking (and perhaps more specifically, furniture).

Heard really good things about this drum sander… If only money and space were limitless 🙂
    http://www.supermaxtools.com/products-sanders/wood-supermax-19-38-drum-sander/

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

You’ve got the money, you just need the space.

We have a wood shop that charges VERY reasonable for use of their drum sander. They can do a 54″ table top for $25.

I always have the hankering for that rigid spindle/belt combo unit. Not often needed but for inside corners I don’t know what else you would use. Even on my table saw sleds, I wish I had it instead of running the edge of the ROS over the inside curves.

I had a spindle insert for my old drill press but I won’t use one on my new press. I don’t think the side load of using a sanding spindle is good for the press that was designed for downward pressure.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Have a 37″ drum sander at the cabinet shop I worked at. It’s a must have for building doors or wood tops. Also had a 120 x 6″ belt edge sander which was nice for straightening up edges before glueing.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I have a Powermatic 25″ Dual Drum sander. It is great for flattening face frames, panels, surfacing highly figured wood,and other flattening chores. It would be great to have a 37″ model like RonW has. That extra foot is very nice but not essential. Also have a 6″ x 89″ belt sander by Jet and a couple of small benchtop models including a spindle sander. Each one has its uses and solves a sanding need. To answer you question John, these sanders are very useful for making furniture.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Don’t do a lot of furniture or cabinet work but for metal work and belt/disc sander comes in handy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

It would be nice to have but I don’t have any.

Anonymous

Did ya wear yerself out sanding those Cornholes LOL? I like any kind of power sander and these would be really nice to have. I’m still planning on making a spindle sander out of my little bench top drill press, I’ve already turned the entire head upside down on the mast. I used to use it for spinning bowling balls. So the next step is to put the table above the head and I’ll have it

Did ya wear yerself out sanding those Cornholes LOL?

haha oh yeah, it was pretty rigorous 😉

I am always intrigued by the different machines some guys find as necessary for their shop vs. others (even within the same line of work). Sounds like I should be looking for a way to have space for a drum, belt, and oscillating sander 🙂

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a jet 16 / 32 that I really like. I was surprised how well the overlap matches when sanding something over 16 “

Sounds like I should be looking for a way to have space for a drum, belt, and oscillating sander

The advice I got from a friend in the furniture refinishing/making business was to get a drum sander if I could afford one. I wouldn’t regret the decision and I haven’t. It is the most expensive acquisition of the sanders but it is amongst the most used.

The advice I got from a friend in the furniture refinishing/making business was to get a drum sander if I could afford one.

Ah, the list of tools to buy continues to grow :\ I think I am still going to hold off on larger machinery until I settle down into a different place (preferably buy a house in next few years) and can deal with having a larger shop area / at least not be in a really tough basement to get things down the stairs

John S

No way would you even want to get something like that down stairs. Especially if there was a turn in the staircase. Way too heavy! Probably the same applies to all kinds of shop equipment. Find a place where you can use the garage as your shop. Carrying stuff up and down stairs is a real bummer especially as you age.

Especially if there was a turn in the staircase.

This is my reality unfortunately, hence why I am always about being mobile and small for the future (for now). There probably aren’t any smaller models of these sanders worth buying now, are there? Some of the oscillating sanders don’t look too huge, but still, my shop is already quite cramped

John S

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

@supimeister I have the small Ryobi OSS. I don’t use it daily and I doubt it would tolerate daily use, but it does what it’s supposed to when I need it

Some of the oscillating sanders don’t look too huge, but still, my shop is already quite cramped

Checkout the Rigid benchtop sander – it is both a belt sander and a spindle sander. I think it would work well for you with the limited space. It is easy on the budget too. Brad was talking about one of these too. It was one of the first purchases I made when I started my shop.

Oh wow that does look like a really good option for something to start out with. Especially considering its size. It would at least give me a better idea of what to expect from that sort of machine before jumping off the deep end

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Oscillating-Edge-Belt-Spindle-Sander-EB4424/100061671

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It does look like a nice little machine. I have been trying to catch it on sale. Gets decent reviews. Some units are supposed to vibrate more then others.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I would like a drum sander for real thin solid wood pieces.

A luthier I visited had a home made one and it would handle 1/8 inch stock. Hand fed.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

personally sanding is my most hated task of woodworking so having all the sander options available makes things easier

staker
    Pro

I would like to have a 25″ belt sander someday.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.854 seconds