dcsimg

LVT Flooring. Your thoughts?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have long been a fan of hard surface flooring like ceramic, porcelain, and stone tile and wood flooring. I have especially advocated the use of tile in bath areas…recently though I have had the opportunity to install LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile) in a few bath remodels and I have to say that I am impressed by the product – it installs fast and looks great – much nicer than the vinyl of even 10 years ago.. Have any others worked much with this type of flooring? If so, what are your thoughts?

Shameless Plug – I have a full article about LVT on my blog if anyone is interested…lol

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I’ve used this before, are you talking about the tiles you glue down? We recently installed some vinyl plank flooring that locks together, in a bathroom. Seems like a good floor to me.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’ve used it, and personally I’m not a huge fan.

In my own home I installed it as per manufacturer instructions and it has buckled and cracked. I used it in my kitchen/ office since my wife didn’t want tile, and it was the right rustic look and watertight for the kitchen.

The tongue and grooves have literally cracked off as if it was cheap plastic left in the sun for years. Not what I expected for the price I paid, and nothing that they would do for me even with the product being only about a year old.

Otherwise I’ve used it amd had good results, but still find it a pain to lock the planks together and find that the t&g damages easily.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

We put down Permastone in my folks’house several years ago, the 16″ tiles that glue down. They’ve held up very well.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I’ve used this before, are you talking about the tiles you glue down? We recently installed some vinyl plank flooring that locks together, in a bathroom. Seems like a good floor to me.

Yeah I am talking about the vinyl planks or tiles that get glued down. There are floating LVT floors on the market but I am not a fan.

@WoodsConstruction
    I do not care for how the t&g LVT goes together either…they are a pain and damage to easily. The LVT I prefer are the tiles that get spaced for grout. No t&g to fool with.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I’ve never seen glue down tiles you grout…what would be the advantages over regular tile? The Permastone I’ve used has grout lines in it.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

definitely seems like a odd product,, i cant wrap my head arounbd glue down vinyl that gets grout… how is the product compatibility between the grout and vinyl

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I did it it was 6 inch by 36 inch. It was about 1/4 thick.but wasn’t glue down it was locking into eachother. It looked just like tile that had wood look to it. Very was your to install fleaxable.but I don’t like about the vinyl products since I am doing so much tile vinyl looks cheap in my eyes

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have used it but I am not a big fan. I prefer the solid surface like tile, wood or laminate. The LVT or LVP (plank) seems a lot more expensive than Laminates and equal or higher than Ceramic. I am not a fan of Laminates in bathrooms.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Ah ok I totally forgot about the kind that glues down and gets grout.

Years ago before I knew much about anything I threw it down in my parents basement bathroom. It seems like a decent product, especially since I probably didn’t do it properly at that point in time lol

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

We have used it but I am not a big fan. I prefer the solid surface like tile, wood or laminate. The LVT or LVP (plank) seems a lot more expensive than Laminates and equal or higher than Ceramic. I am not a fan of Laminates in bathrooms.

I much prefer solid surface flooring also and I do agree that some of the LVT/LVP are cost comparable to ceramic but a lower labor burden helps to make up the difference. That bit of a difference helps on projects with tight budgets.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Clev08
    Pro

I’ve installed the locking tongue and grove plank before but never the glue and grout style. Seems weird to me that you can grout vinyl. I wouldn’t be against it though as it is easier on the knees that ceramic.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I much prefer solid surface flooring also and I do agree that some of the LVT/LVP are cost comparable to ceramic but a lower labor burden helps to make up the difference. That bit of a difference helps on projects with tight budgets.

I have not used LVT but might take a look at it when the time comes to replace the old vinyl tile in my laundry room.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I do like LVT tile. Put some down in the Ford place a couple years ago. Much nicer look when finished.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

keko
    Pro

vinyl has come a long way I’m a fan.

olzo55
    Pro

old post but thought I’d add to it.

LVT has temperature limitations especially the floating style. 85* seems to be a common limit. No direct sun as it causes the material to expand and seams to open.

Also, I wouldn’t use it in a basement. The vinyl traps any moisture rising from a concrete slab. Check Allure flooring problems concerning that issue.

Otherwise, above grade in certain places, it’s great.

old post but thought I’d add to it.

LVT has temperature limitations especially the floating style. 85* seems to be a common limit. No direct sun as it causes the material to expand and seams to open.

Also, I wouldn’t use it in a basement. The vinyl traps any moisture rising from a concrete slab. Check Allure flooring problems concerning that issue.

Otherwise, above grade in certain places, it’s great.

I’ve had good success installing VCT right on slabs .

Always willing to learn .

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i dont think ive installed vct but i have done a few vinyl plank floors.. goes down super fast.. only issue ive had is keeping narrow ripped strips for closer row to stay locked. the keep popping apart as i put the next piece down.

the idea of it is great for basements as it wont get moldy or rot at all. but like as stated in direct sunlight id be curious how well it holds up

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

i dont think ive installed vct but i have done a few vinyl plank floors.. goes down super fast.. only issue ive had is keeping narrow ripped strips for closer row to stay locked. the keep popping apart as i put the next piece down.

the idea of it is great for basements as it wont get moldy or rot at all. but like as stated in direct sunlight id be curious how well it holds up

Jeff what brand did you use that you had a lock problem on those VCT planks .

Always willing to learn .

Recently I have designed my workshop floor with epoxy. This was recommended by my relatives from “Cisneros Decorative Concrete Company “ Epoxy floors reliable and durable surface for commercial, warehouse and industrial building.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.572 seconds