dcsimg

Lumber Liquidators in the news again

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I got an email from JLC this morning about Lumber Liquidators and their formaldehyde usage in some if their flooring products. While this was news a while back, it seems that they have tried (poorly) to save their image by sending out test kits to anyone who purchased the tainted flooring.

Apparently the test kits aren’t adequate and aren’t giving good results.

http://www.jlconline.com/flooring/lumber-liquidators-in-more-hot-water_o.aspx?dfpzone=home&utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=jump&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=JLCNL_041215&day=2015-04-12

I’ve never used LL, and probably never will. Anyone else?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Interesting. Never would have even thought about this being an issue. I am considering adding hardwood to my upstairs, so something to consider.

Orange County, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Not good for LL and any pro who installed any of their flooring. Law suits suck up everybody the guy who sold it, the guy who installed it. Just the way it is. Not good for LL that their kits are sub-standard either. My prediction look for LL to seek bankruptcy protection.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Thatkid
    Pro

It’s not good and I think lumber liquidators will prolly end up going out of business . We have a couple houses we did with floors from them and they actually are realy nice looking but the ho are all just like crap we don’t want formaldehyde in our house.

I’m trying to rember but doesn’t some plywood have formaldehyde in it?

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I don’t think anyone ever mentioned on the BTP that they are connected with organized crime, illegal logging in Russia and other Countries and responsible for critically endangered tiger habitat and forests in the RFE. Of course while making a huge profit. I hope they go under fast!

A Working Pro since 2004

Never used them and now never will. They give business a bad name.

I also just read the same e-mail I received from jlc . Seems its a down high fight for them .

Always willing to learn .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t think they are available in Canada so I don’t have to worry about them. I do want to redo my floors.

KenW
    Pro

Is nuts to think about how some companies use dangerous methods to make their products. I wonder what percentage this represents of all the shoddy companies doing these things versus the ones we know of.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think anyone ever mentioned on the BTP that they are connected with organized crime, illegal logging in Russia and other Countries and responsible for critically endangered tiger habitat and forests in the RFE. Of course while making a huge profit. I hope they go under fast!

Holy crap I never heard that before but I’m not surprised, I had a feeling there was something wrong with that company with all the constant annoying tv advertisements you’d see, And with their prices.

staker
    Pro

The formaldehyde usage in the flooring is probably not the only product that has it, kitchen cabinets,furniture ect. The stuff that comes out of these countries is not up to the same standards that we have in or manufacturing processes.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

all i can say is that this news cant spread fast enough

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Holy crap I never heard that before but I’m not surprised, I had a feeling there was something wrong with that company with all the constant annoying tv advertisements you’d see, And with their prices.

Yeah, we all know here on BTP that going cheap or buying stuff at a cost that seems to good to be true, that there is going to be some problem or another.

A Working Pro since 2004

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Has anyone tested the flooring that HD and Lowes sells?
    I never bought from LL .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It’s not good and I think lumber liquidators will prolly end up going out of business . We have a couple houses we did with floors from them and they actually are realy nice looking but the ho are all just like crap we don’t want formaldehyde in our house.

I’m trying to rember but doesn’t some plywood have formaldehyde in it?

I believe the flooring and plywood were both coming out of China.

Is nuts to think about how some companies use dangerous methods to make their products. I wonder what percentage this represents of all the shoddy companies doing these things versus the ones we know of.

It really makes me wonder Who is responsible. Did LL just purchase a bunch of tainted product accidentally or did they commission the production of that product and not work to ensure its quality.

Either way, LL owns the junk and is stuck with the problems that come with it.

Jon P.
    Instagram

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

This will keep me away from doing business with LL. bad business practices will bite you in the but sooner or later.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

KenW
    Pro

This will keep me away from doing business with LL. bad business practices will bite you in the but sooner or later.

Totally agree. I’ve seen some rather shadily built cabinets and wonder how they even still held together.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Places like LL etc exist because price is king. What some people fail to realize is that in most cases a lower price means a lower quality product. Most people figure everything is the same and the difference in price is the profit the company is making. Same with the trades, customer has 2 bids, they will pick the lowest price but expect the work and materials of the higher priced bid figuring the only difference in the two prices was the amount of profit being made by the higher priced company.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

It is too bad to hear stuff like this. At least we don’t have to worry about dealing with them up here in Canada.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Places like LL etc exist because price is king. What some people fail to realize is that in most cases a lower price means a lower quality product. Most people figure everything is the same and the difference in price is the profit the company is making. Same with the trades, customer has 2 bids, they will pick the lowest price but expect the work and materials of the higher priced bid figuring the only difference in the two prices was the amount of profit being made by the higher priced company.

Isn’t that the truth. Too often customers are comparing apples and oranges and they think everything is the same. The problem here is that many bids just say ” repair/fix this…” And don’t detail the specific materials. Looking at two bids like this doesn’t show the difference between the companies or bids…just the price.

FWIW, I don’t detail any specifics on a bid unless a specific item/ brand is requested or agreed upon. Showing all of you cards just gives the HO line items to knit pick about.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.520 seconds