dcsimg

Lowe's just purchased Rona

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I think in Ontario at least, they should get rid of the Rona brand altogether. It’s not coveted at all like in Quebec. Phasing out the name in Quebec will likely take longer.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Same with lowes you can pick up sds bits at rental counter or pro desk.

Which Lowes has a rental desk? The one in Pickering doesn’t, I know that. I thought none of them in Canada did tool rentals.

The one in oshawa near highway 401 has a stephens rental right near the main entrance. It is where i picked up 2 new sds max bits. I may end up going there to pick up a few more, i still want a clay spade bit.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Rona has a strong presence in Quebec; Lowes does not. In some markets, Rona has a strong contractor base; again, Lowes does not. Access to those customers would have been difficult for Lowes to do without the acquisition.

Being Quebec based, big plus for Lowes in that respect. True about the contractor base being a much different bread than what Loews has.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

Which Lowes has a rental desk? The one in Pickering doesn’t, I know that. I thought none of them in Canada did tool rentals.

The one in oshawa near highway 401 has a stephens rental right near the main entrance. It is where i picked up 2 new sds max bits. I may end up going there to pick up a few more, i still want a clay spade bit.

HD would have had those ones as well. At my HD they are sold in the tool rental dept. I had them price match plus 10% against Atlas the ones they had in common with Atlas.

Best places I found were Mississauga Hardware, Atlas, and A.CA, depending which one you were looking for.

Dedicated tool rental stores often charge more for those things.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

HD would have had those ones as well. At my HD they are sold in the tool rental dept. I had them price match plus 10% against Atlas the ones they had in common with Atlas.

Best places I found were Mississauga Hardware, Atlas, and A.CA, depending which one you were looking for.

the price wasn’t bad at all, it ended up being slightly cheaper than amazon. However i do need to make it down to atlas sometime soon.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

HD price match is pretty easy when I tried it. Rona on the other hand is a major pain in the butt. I tried to match the Bosch miter saw stand with outils pierre berger (5 km away), and the manager tried everything to weasel out of it. He eventually pointed to a clause that basically says “everything we advertised about PM is BS and we can refuse because we say so”.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

HD price match is pretty easy when I tried it. Rona on the other hand is a major pain in the butt. I tried to match the Bosch miter saw stand with outils pierre berger (5 km away), and the manager tried everything to weasel out of it. He eventually pointed to a clause that basically says “everything we advertised about PM is BS and we can refuse because we say so”.

i didn’t have a problem with the two stores i talked to, must be just the maneger at each location. I’ve priced matched two stores, and both stores said yes just like that and i bought laminate at one and the keter at the other.

Doobie

the price wasn’t bad at all, it ended up being slightly cheaper than amazon. However i do need to make it down to atlas sometime soon.

I only go there when I have to. While I’m generally lucky with parking, that’s one of the unkowns I hate about going there aside from the general dislike of having to drive to downtown Toronto. I buy from them 95% of the time online or over the phone.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I only go there when I have to. While I’m generally lucky with parking, that’s one of the unkowns I hate about going there aside from the general dislike of having to drive to downtown Toronto. I buy from them 95% of the time online or over the phone.

I only go down there when i can combine other things i need to do around that area. I am going to head down there tomorrow as i have a few places i need to get to. do they have free shiping for you? or is it free shipping after a certain amount?

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

i didn’t have a problem with the two stores i talked to, must be just the maneger at each location. I’ve priced matched two stores, and both stores said yes just like that and i bought laminate at one and the keter at the other.

Possibly, pretty sure Rona is franchised so it’s owner dependent.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Possibly, pretty sure Rona is franchised so it’s owner dependent.

yes you are right, then that might make sense, maybe that one store had a miserly owner lol.

Doobie

I only go down there when i can combine other things i need to do around that area. I am going to head down there tomorrow as i have a few places i need to get to. do they have free shiping for you? or is it free shipping after a certain amount?

You have to go over a certain dollar amount like many places of this nature. Can’t recall what the amount is. It’s on their website.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING:

I just read that Lowes is closing all 4 Rona stores in Newfoundland. No warning, no reason given. One independently owned store in Labrador will remain open.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

OLD THREAD WARNING:

I just read that Lowes is closing all 4 Rona stores in Newfoundland. No warning, no reason given. One independently owned store in Labrador will remain open.

Twenty-seven stores here in Canada are being closed from what I just read. CP24 mentioned 3 of them specifically in the GTA.

Doesn’t surprise me actually. You knew with the Rona purchase that some would shutter at some point where they would figure they have overlap and in doing it at the same time as closing also a bunch of them in the US also per their announcement they avoid political blowback here in Canada.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Here is the list of stores that are closing. I believe that 31 are in Canada

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/lowes-closing-51-stores/

Even though they are under the same brand I hate to see the reduction in choice and competition.

Will

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.416 seconds