dcsimg

Lowe's just purchased Rona

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

The acquisition of Rona by Lowes will be finalized by the end of May according to a new report.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/03/31/rona-shareholders-approve-32b-lowes-takeover.html

No word yet on what this will mean for consumers or employees but initial reports referred to Rona being allowed to run independently.

Allowing Rona to run independently? Not sure that is a good thing or not. The few that are near me really need an overhaul. One is a very small shop and the big one near me will be shutting its doors due to condo building going up in the area.

They are pathetic where I live so hopefully it gets better .Half the time they never have what I’m looking for .

Doobie

They built a huge Rona not far from me and closed it just a couple of years later. Just seemed ill planned. That’s one of the reasons I think they will axe a lot of their top head office people.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The acquisition of Rona by Lowes will be finalized by the end of May according to a new report.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/03/31/rona-shareholders-approve-32b-lowes-takeover.html

No word yet on what this will mean for consumers or employees but initial reports referred to Rona being allowed to run independently.

Allowing Rona to run independently? Not sure that is a good thing or not. The few that are near me really need an overhaul. One is a very small shop and the big one near me will be shutting its doors due to condo building going up in the area.

They are pathetic where I live so hopefully it gets better .Half the time they never have what I’m looking for .

That’s interesting. We are not that far apart and ours has a booming contractor business and not a badly stocked store for a small town.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

That’s interesting. We are not that far apart and ours has a booming contractor business and not a badly stocked store for a small town.

That actually doesn’t surprise me. They are so all over the map. That is something they need to streamline. Lowes will do that. Doubt Lowes wants to manage a host of oddball models under their banner for long that are all over the map.

Rona built themselves by acquisitions that they were loosey goosy with transforming into a unified brand or style. Lowes is not stupid. They will bite the bullet where they have to, but will ultimately meld it altogether.

I’m just waiting to read about the house cleaning firings in the Rona HO. That’s an area because of the aforementioned, that they will swipe clean in a hurry.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I agree ! They also cut glass in Listowel but they don’t do it anywhere around here .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The biggest changes you will see is in the brands they carry.

That really burns me up. Here both Lowes and HD carry the same brands. If you need something different you have to search all over to find it. You would think they would carry different brands and give the customer a choice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

That really burns me up. Here both Lowes and HD carry the same brands. If you need something different you have to search all over to find it. You would think they would carry different brands and give the customer a choice.

Tool wise I find in general they carry different brands.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

They built a huge Rona not far from me and closed it just a couple of years later. Just seemed ill planned. That’s one of the reasons I think they will axe a lot of their top head office people.

yah and now that place sells shoes. They even closed a few near me and left us with a really small store. I can definitely see them axing alot of the dead weight.

I am sure a lot of middle management people will be turfed. There will be tons of overlap that will have to be dealt with. As we used to say, “they will be walking down the road kicking stones and muttering to themselves” (the action of someone who just lost their job).

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Tool wise I find in general they carry different brands.

I would agree with that. There is some overlap (Dewalt) but generally speaking, the power tools are different at each box store. Hand tools have a bit more overlap, but there is still quite a bit of variation.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Yet here, HD does not sell Bosch but rents most Bosch SDS tools.
    Lowes and Rona both carry Bosch tools and others of course.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I wonder about what changes will happen to what stores. Rona has 2 different types of stores. The “corporate” stores, which only use Rona as a supplier. I would think they will all change to Lowes eventually (except in Quebec, which I hear will carry on with the Rona name).

Then there are the “independent” Rona stores which carry the Rona name, but they order from outside the corporate structure as well as from within. They are franchised differently.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

More that likely the corporate stores will change to Lowes. The independents are what will suffer.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yet here, HD does not sell Bosch but rents most Bosch SDS tools.
    Lowes and Rona both carry Bosch tools and others of course.

funny enough, at home depot you can buy the bits but behind the pro counter or at the rental portion of the depot. Same with lowes you can pick up sds bits at rental counter or pro desk.

Doobie

Same with lowes you can pick up sds bits at rental counter or pro desk.

Which Lowes has a rental desk? The one in Pickering doesn’t, I know that. I thought none of them in Canada did tool rentals.

So, I was in my local Rona store today and talking to one of the guys who was on a conference call today with head office. He was telling me that everything will stay the same for the foreseeable future. Rona will operate as Rona always has, with the same suppliers for the time being. Of course, they only took over as of today, so after they get looking at everything and seeing what is what, that may change. But for now, the status quo stands. Rona and Lowes are still competing entities.

Doobie

after they get looking at everything and seeing what is what, that may change.

You can bet on that. These things are always full of surprises after not too long once they take control with blah blah statements of how they never knew this or that when they looked at the books before buying it and now they have to now do all sorts of changes. It’s just a matter of time before poop hits the fan imo. Seen this show all to often.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Rona and Lowes are still competing entities.

What Lowe’s will do for now is use the Rona brand to increase their purchase in quantity to get bigger savings from the manufacturers, if the savings are not big enough then they “merge” the two companies and eliminate the overlap. The problem here is Rona and Lowes compete for the same customers, no real reason to have both brands.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Seeing as they just took over Rona, I would imagine the accountants will have to sift through a mountain of paper work and figure things out from there. Coming from an automotive background where companies succeeded when “car guys” were in charge, and took a nose dive when the bean counters were in charge, leads to a lot of speculation on what will happen.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Rona and Lowes are still competing entities.

What Lowe’s will do for now is use the Rona brand to increase their purchase in quantity to get bigger savings from the manufacturers, if the savings are not big enough then they “merge” the two companies and eliminate the overlap. The problem here is Rona and Lowes compete for the same customers, no real reason to have both brands.

Actually there are some basic differences, Bill, Rona has a strong presence in Quebec; Lowes does not. In some markets, Rona has a strong contractor base; again, Lowes does not. Access to those customers would have been difficult for Lowes to do without the acquisition.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.497 seconds