dcsimg

Lowe's just purchased Rona

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I just read that this morning , I wont miss rona , they suck :-)
    I think Lowes has a lot more Bosch tools too.

I agree. Rona was awful. I like Lowes. Nice having an alternative to HD at times.

Saw this one coming a mile away. Looks like they appeased the Quebec gov by situating their head office in Quebec. Peladeau is already trying to unravel this. He’s such a wanker seperatist.

Our Rona was way over priced and half the time you had to order things in because they wouldn’t stock them , Their service out in the yard was horrible too .

They had a big Rona not too far from me they built and abandoned about 2 years in. I only went there once before they had their liquidation sale. That first time didn’t impress me either. When I went to the liquidation sale which was a month old at the time when they were about to close, I couldn’t believe the lack of discounting they had on the stuff remaining. They just never impressed me at all.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Rona’s selection has really dwindled over the years – they do carry Bosch stuff which is good, Home Depot has only a bit. Last week I was near Rona and went in looking for a bag of R40 attic insulation, they don’t stock it in any brand or flavor, anything over R12 you have to go to another location across town. I would hope that Lowes would at least carry this type of stuff, unfortunately the Home Depot is about a 25min drive each way for me so I’m actually looking forward to Lowes opening.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

rona was the only place that carried pretty much the whole bosch line where home depot only had the sanders and that was it. Lowes had a bit more but Rona really represented. Rona also had the best deals when there were deals to be had. I am always leery when there are less retailers trying for our business. I mean look at what happened the day Target left Canada, walmart stopped free shipping and raised the minimum for shipping.

Doobie

The only Rona so called locations I liked were the Millwork stores they bought out in our area years ago. They pretty well kept them intact and still carry the specialty items and products that are hard to find elsewhere.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Latest I have after speaking with my BIL is “short term and medium term; no changes”. The Rona name will stay for the foreseeable future.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

My best one is Reno Depot usually.

Rona sucks
    HD rarely has what I want, and rarely at good prices

Bought a lot from Lowes online. Dunno if they will have better than Rona, but wont be worse. How could it be?

They can even keep the rona brand for all I care, if I can do ship to store in Quebec

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Guess I’m spoiled with a dozen or so sawmills, Lee Valley, Millbank Country hardware and Lincoln Smith within a half hour from home; I really don’t need anything from the big box stores. Home Hardware and TSC for the odds and ends and I’m good.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

IMO, Lowes is just so-so as a supplier for contractors. I have one real close to the office so I stop there a lot because it is convenient. Their contractor desk is marginal at best and the managers just make excuses for not getting things correct. They are so bound by meeting payroll, that if you ask for a load to be pulled for pickup, and give plenty of notice, you can almost bet it will not be ready.

As for the Kobalt line, I am not at impressed with the quality.

They do have a small sampling of Bosch tools and accessories.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

IMO, Lowes is just so-so as a supplier for contractors. I have one real close to the office so I stop there a lot because it is convenient. Their contractor desk is marginal at best and the managers just make excuses for not getting things correct. They are so bound by meeting payroll, that if you ask for a load to be pulled for pickup, and give plenty of notice, you can almost bet it will not be ready.

As for the Kobalt line, I am not at impressed with the quality.

They do have a small sampling of Bosch tools and accessories.

I know that, for a number of Rona stores, contractor sales are given priority. Early or late pickups, deliveries and after hours service is all normal business. Not all stores are managed like that, but there are some. Maybe some of that will spill over to Lowes.

Oh yeah, and Lowes will need to learn French.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i just heard about this about 4 hours ago.. very interesting since originally lowes attempted to buy Pierceys which was a locally owned lumber company which had 4 stores. Pierceys turned them down 11 years ago. then 8 years ago Rona bought out Pierceys.. When they orginally came here Rona left the pierceys name on their stoers but opened a huge big box location… that only lasted 6 years before shutting down do to lack of business but the small locations remained only with new signage.

as for contractor sales. the good thing that rona did was they kept all the staff at pierceys because they knew all their contractors.. hopefully lowes does the same thing here..

home depot sucks for contractor sales here.. no discounts no custom order items… the other big box is Kents which is owned by Irving.. their terrible to deal with. pricing sucks too

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

In a friendly takeover, Rona has been sold to Lowe’s. Lowe’s now has a presence in Quebec and an expanded foothold in the rest of Canada.
    What will this change mean for consumers in Canada? Any thoughts?
    The bigger Rona stores have a solid contractor base. Can Lowe’s keep those cients?

That’s good news for us here in Quebec, I hope, but I’m sure we don’t still get hosed for pricing,
    At least I am hoping it brings in new and a wider range of products.

Maybe not, depends on how they do it we may have to pay PST on mail order from Lowe’s now, 10% price hike.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i just heard about this about 4 hours ago.. very interesting since originally lowes attempted to buy Pierceys which was a locally owned lumber company which had 4 stores. Pierceys turned them down 11 years ago. then 8 years ago Rona bought out Pierceys.. When they orginally came here Rona left the pierceys name on their stoers but opened a huge big box location… that only lasted 6 years before shutting down do to lack of business but the small locations remained only with new signage.

as for contractor sales. the good thing that rona did was they kept all the staff at pierceys because they knew all their contractors.. hopefully lowes does the same thing here..

home depot sucks for contractor sales here.. no discounts no custom order items… the other big box is Kents which is owned by Irving.. their terrible to deal with. pricing sucks too

my only beef with the local rona small stores is how they have their lumber bays set up.. at pierceys the lumber was kept outdoors.. and all lumber was organized by size. all 2×4 in one isle.. then 2×6… the small rona’s have everything sorted by lenght.. if you want pt 2x6x8 its in first isle.. 2nc isle is 10’s and 12’s… 3rd isle is 14′.

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Now I will have a place to wear my Jimmie Johnson 5X Nascar Championship Lowes Chevrolet jacket.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

home depot sucks for contractor sales here.

It’s the opposite here, HD gets all the GC and I don’t know Lowes stays open with nobody in their stores.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

It’s the opposite here, HD gets all the GC and I don’t know Lowes stays open with nobody in their stores.

I’ve probably only been in Rona a few times otherwise it has always been HD or a local store/supplier

A Working Pro since 2004

yellaD
    Pro

Rona originated in Que, so it’s got strong loyalty there. Lowe’s made a smart move to start a venture into there as it is a different market vs Ontario for sure. HD stocks are still double, and CT is triple Lowe’s, so as a whole they have a ways to go. Rona’s expansion plans into the rest of Can was a major flop.

Doobie

HD stocks are still double, and CT is triple Lowe’s, so as a whole they have a ways to go. Rona’s expansion plans into the rest of Can was a major flop.

That has nothing to do with how they stack up against each other.

Apple stock is worth way more for example. It is down about 40% since last year and still dropping. You don’t judge the quality or the potential for growth of a stock just because its stock share price is higher as being better than another stock with a lower share price, nor is it’s share price an indication of the size of a company insofar as its size and overall value is concerned.

Doobie

I read somewhere some years back that Lowes was the second largest seller of appliances in the US. That may explain a few things as to how they have a different strength and focus versus their competitors.

My question is, how much does appliance sales represent of their overall sales and their generation of profits attributable to appliance sales. That would paint a bigger picture knowing that maybe.

It was only when Lowes first came to Canada that HD started selling appliances in their Canadian stores. HD knew that in continuing to not be selling apliances would only lead female shoppers along with their husbands into the arms of their biggest competitor.

Both these companies are pretty smart. I don’t always like everything they do, but I do like them both for different reasons respectively. Rona on the other hand left a lot to be desired imo. Good riddance Rona! Hope Mr Peladeau is having fits in his sleep over it right now.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Oh yeah, and Lowes will need to learn French.

And that’s where the fun begins. LOL

The company I work for was taken over by a Quebec company and have over the years replaced the top exec’s with French Speaking Canadians.

Lowes has mentioned that they are going to “try their best” to maintain the Rona staff. Guess we’ll see how long that lasts.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Lowes exec on the news last night. He was saying, when questioned about job losses, that until the sale is approved they will not be working on an “integration” plan.

Interesting choice of words.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.410 seconds