dcsimg

Lowe's just purchased Rona

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

In a friendly takeover, Rona has been sold to Lowe’s. Lowe’s now has a presence in Quebec and an expanded foothold in the rest of Canada.
    What will this change mean for consumers in Canada? Any thoughts?
    The bigger Rona stores have a solid contractor base. Can Lowe’s keep those cients?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Awesome news, I really like Lowe’s so it will be interesting to see if they make any big changes.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Lowe’s in the US is not all that friendly towards contractors, at least not the ones near me. They seem to cater to more of the not-so-serious DIY crowd. I prefer Home Depot for most of my big box store purchases, or a more local hardware store or lumberyard. That said, if it’s solely a rebranding effort and the store inventory, knowledge base, and customer service don’t change it would probably be fine. This all needs a grain of salt since my sample size is small, and regional. Perhaps Lowe’s is much better in other parts of the US or internationally. Good luck!

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

In my area the larger Rona’s have been closing down in favour of opening smaller hardware type Rona stores.
    I wonder how this will affect those smaller stores and will they rebrand the name?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

In my area the larger Rona’s have been closing down in favour of opening smaller hardware type Rona stores.
    I wonder how this will affect those smaller stores and will they rebrand the name?

The Rona in my neighbourhood is a small one … I seldom use it.

I will give my BIL a call today; he manages the warehouse in a large Rona. Maybe he will have some thoughts.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

The Rona in my neighbourhood is a small one … I seldom use it.

@smallerstick,
    You should know this area….

Royal York and Dundas, there is a large Rona w/lumberyard there that is scheduled to be torn down and a proposed Condo development is to move in.

Shame as some of the weekly sales at Rona are better than the other two big box stores.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I’ve seen in the past a lot of tools, accessories, sold by Lowe’s only. Hopefully I’ll see them on Rona’s shelters too.

In a friendly takeover, Rona has been sold to Lowe’s. Lowe’s now has a presence in Quebec and an expanded foothold in the rest of Canada.
    What will this change mean for consumers in Canada? Any thoughts?
    The bigger Rona stores have a solid contractor base. Can Lowe’s keep those cients?

That’s good news for us here in Quebec, I hope, but I’m sure we don’t still get hosed for pricing,
    At least I am hoping it brings in new and a wider range of products.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick,
    You should know this area….

Royal York and Dundas, there is a large Rona w/lumberyard there that is scheduled to be torn down and a proposed Condo development is to move in.

I don’t recall a Rona in that part of town; condos don’t surprise me, though. I probably wouldn’t recognize the old neighbourhood.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

It’s too bad that we’ll lose a Canadian provider but Rona really doesn’t provide a lot I need, at least the location I go to. Lowes was actually planning on opening up next door – I guess that won’t happen now.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I like Lowes and I am sure you will do ok with them. My problem is that there very few places to shop anymore. I always liked the smaller mom and pop owned stores. It just seems all the big stores now have a monopoly on things.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I don’t have a Lowe’s near by so we have to travel about an hour to get to one. But we like to send customers there rather than Home Depot for light fixtures and things like that.

I find that Home Depot is a little more on the professional side while Lowe’s is a little more on the home owner/weekend warrior side. I still prefer to stay away from either one though as they do not hold a candle to our local yard as far as knowledge and service.

Just something to think about for our frosty friends up north.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I find that Home Depot is a little more on the professional side while Lowe’s is a little more on the home owner/weekend warrior side. I still prefer to stay away from either one though as they do not hold a candle to our local yard as far as knowledge and service.

Agree with this sentiment. I always wondered if it was true elsewhere or just around me.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I just read that this morning , I wont miss rona , they suck 🙂
    I think Lowes has a lot more Bosch tools too.

Our local Rona is OK….just OK. I doubt much will change in the small town stores except the sign for a while. Perhaps better pricing will follow? I also wonder about the independent Rona stores (like Goderich) who are able to buy outside of what the corporate stores can. The Goderich store has all kinds of artsy stuff including Richelieu hardware.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I am wondering if it will provide more competition here in Atlantic Canada (particularly NB) as there are not very many Rona stores now, but with Lowe’s purchase they would have a strong presence in Quebec.

Will

Doobie

I just read that this morning , I wont miss rona , they suck :-)

I agree. Rona was awful. I like Lowes. Nice having an alternative to HD at times.

Saw this one coming a mile away. Looks like they appeased the Quebec gov by situating their head office in Quebec. Peladeau is already trying to unravel this. He’s such a wanker seperatist.

Lowe’s in the US is not all that friendly towards contractors, at least not the ones near me. They seem to cater to more of the not-so-serious DIY crowd. I prefer Home Depot for most of my big box store purchases, or a more local hardware store or lumberyard. That said, if it’s solely a rebranding effort and the store inventory, knowledge base, and customer service don’t change it would probably be fine. This all needs a grain of salt since my sample size is small, and regional. Perhaps Lowe’s is much better in other parts of the US or internationally. Good luck!

It really comes down to the pro staff at each location . Some have retired contractors work there . Which helps for sure with ordering and product discussion .

Always willing to learn .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Lowe’s in the US is not all that friendly towards contractors,

I agree 100%. Lowes is convenient. And that the only thing they have going for them IMO. Aside from a small selection of Bosch, the bulk of their tools are junk. I shop elsewhere whenever possible.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I just read that this morning , I wont miss rona , they suck :-)

I agree. Rona was awful. I like Lowes. Nice having an alternative to HD at times.

Saw this one coming a mile away. Looks like they appeased the Quebec gov by situating their head office in Quebec. Peladeau is already trying to unravel this. He’s such a wanker seperatist.

Our Rona was way over priced and half the time you had to order things in because they wouldn’t stock them , Their service out in the yard was horrible too .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.422 seconds