dcsimg

Looking for ideas for left over Hardwood flooring

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Here are a couple of pictures of my first attempt at a frame from the leftovers, note I decided to put splines in at the corners with some other maple scrap I had. I think more contrast would be nice, but this was a first attempt so I used what I had.

Very nice. I see your spline cutting jig on the fence. Looks a lot like mine. Nicely done!!
    What was the final thickness you were able to achieve? I always wonder about using hardwood flooring since it’s generally 3/4 thick to begin with, so by the time you mill off the finish and the grooves, you’re at about 1/2 inch of usable lumber. Did you end up taking off the finish and milling the backside flat?

For this trial, I did almost nothing to the flooring, I kept the finish, and did not mill the back flat ( I don’t think the wall will care) I ripped the unfinished side of the groove off to form the rabbet that the picture will sit in. I will post a picture of the frame with the picture in it.

Will

Here are a couple of pictures of my first attempt at a frame from the leftovers, note I decided to put splines in at the corners with some other maple scrap I had. I think more contrast would be nice, but this was a first attempt so I used what I had.

Man that looks good!!! I love your joints, I don’t even know what they are called but looks like they will hold.

They are called splined miters, because they have a cross grain spline running through them, which in this case is the width of my Forrest WWII blade. Thanks @DirtyWhiteBoy.

Will

Finished frame with oil painting (done by my mother in law) in it.

Will

That turned out just great! I even keep pieces of wood that can be used as paint sticks. There is always a use for wood around the shop. You made fantastic use of yours!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Looks like a great use of the flooring @wbembrid – miters came out very nice.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Hey that looks great, both talented people you and your mother in law,
    What will you attempt next with the left over flooring.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Love the art work and the frame turned out awesome. Great use of leftover flooring.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow that really came out nice. Very nice way to repurpose left over hardwood flooring.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I have made end tables, picture frames, and you can even do things like made handles for things like patio doors, this way you get items in your house that match the floor.

KenW
    Pro

I know exactly what I would do with left over flooring, assuming they were long enough. Fish tank canopy/stand 🙂

I have made end tables, picture frames, and you can even do things like made handles for things like patio doors, this way you get items in your house that match the floor.

Funny that you brought up this thread just now. I was just bundling up an open box of maple flooring, and trying to decide if I should trash it or keep it for small pieces

Good ideas, I like the one about the patio door handles.

@KenW hey Ken long time, hope you are doing well,
    That’s a nice idea, I will pass it on to my nephew, he’s into aquariums, and is always looking for ideas.

KenW
    Pro

hey Ken long time, hope you are doing well

Yep, doing fine. Enjoying a nice day inside while the wintry weather outside goes away 🙂

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

he’s into aquariums,

I like aquariums too, I need to get one set up.. Do we have a aquarium thread???

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

he’s into aquariums,

I like aquariums too, I need to get one set up.. Do we have a aquarium thread???

Don’t think so. I know @KenW is into them.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

hey Ken long time, hope you are doing well

Yep, doing fine. Enjoying a nice day inside while the wintry weather outside goes away 🙂

Good to hear from you.
    Glad to see you are also doing well.

Yup can’t wait for the spring to come.

KenW
    Pro

Do we have a aquarium thread???

Not that I know of. Would be interesting to see other peoples visions in creating stands and canopies.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Do we have a aquarium thread???

Not that I know of. Would be interesting to see other peoples visions in creating stands and canopies.

When I was a kid I had a few 150gl tanks one with discus and another one with cichlids. I always built with 4×4 legs and 4×6 around the parameter.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Super job on the frame! Sorry I’m so late in getting back to this thread. Came out great. What a good use of material.

Clev08
    Pro

I have made nightstand tops with left over 6″ white oak flooring, and I have a lot more little pieces left over.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.584 seconds