dcsimg

Lighting – upgrades, discussion, LED and new technology

This topic contains 44 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  wbembrid 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Author

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I may try out the strip lighting as my shop could use more light. Also help with cost hydro bill.

There a lot of choices out there for strip lighting @gtokley.
    I picked up a 25′ length a couple years ago off eBay to use in my small indoor greenhouse. They work great.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I may try out the strip lighting as my shop could use more light. Also help with cost hydro bill.

I picked up a 25′ length a couple years ago off eBay to use in my small indoor greenhouse. They work great.

This is what I was thinking about doing. Good hear they work great.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

I wouldn’t have thought it would work for a greenhouse… as grow lights, or just to see?

CB
    Pro

Will someone with strip lighting please post a picture or two of the installation and how the light looks?

Also, are there any thermal issues, as far as mounting strip lighting to the bottom of a truss chord / ceiling joist?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Will someone with strip lighting please post a picture or two of the installation and how the light looks?

Also, are there any thermal issues, as far as mounting strip lighting to the bottom of a truss chord / ceiling joist?

This video might shed some light on the issue (lol). Covers installation and features.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Loks to me in the stores anyway where LEDs are replacing the CFLs. Used to be a whole range of CFL choices but gradually more LEDs are taking up the shelf space.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have been switching to the LED whenever possible, even over the CFL’s it is a much better light. I am swapping my office out today with some i purchased a couple days ago.

The Information as you shared with us is really valuable and useful.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING:

Here’s an approach to shop lighting I haven’t seen before. We seem to be focused on replacing fluorescents with LED strip lights or fixtures.

Interesting numbers!

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Here’s an approach to shop lighting I haven’t seen before. We seem to be focused on replacing fluorescents with LED strip lights or fixtures.

Interesting numbers!

You are right people seem to think LED strips is a cheaper way to go. It was nice he add all the numbers to this video.

I know myself I thought about replacing my 4ft fluorescent tubes with led tubes. I think the price for 4 LED tubes $52.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I just added another two tube 4’ LED fixture to my shop on Fathers Day – it made a HUGE difference in the lighting in there. Along with that change I moved another one of my lights up a and toward the center of the shop about a foot, and that helped a bunch too. Amazing what a little bit more light can do!

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just added another two tube 4’ LED fixture to my shop on Fathers Day – it made a HUGE difference in the lighting in there.

LED lights are so much brighter and quieter than fluorescent lights, I am slowly changing all of mine over.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I just added another two tube 4’ LED fixture to my shop on Fathers Day – it made a HUGE difference in the lighting in there.

LED lights are so much brighter and quieter than fluorescent lights, I am slowly changing all of mine over.

So am I. But it’s a bit of a process working towards the last few.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Replacement LED bulbs to change over from T8’s are still about 12 bucks each. That’s 50 bucks for each fixture or 200 bucks for my shop. The light would be a lot better but the cost is still high.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Replacement LED bulbs to change over from T8’s are still about 12 bucks each. That’s 50 bucks for each fixture or 200 bucks for my shop. The light would be a lot better but the cost is still high.

So it’s just plug and play basically, I can keep the same cases for my florescent and just replaced the tubes?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

So it’s just plug and play basically, I can keep the same cases for my florescent and just replaced the tubes?

As far as I know, there are 2 types of replacement tubes; those that work with the ballast in place and those that require the ballast be removed. I haven’t gone far enough into it to know the difference in price or performance between the 2 but, yes you can retrofit existing fixtures.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve found plug and play, ballast compatible tubes for around $8 each here in WA but I know they’re subsidized by the state. Also, those Costco whole fixtures with two tubes each were only $20 this last weekend which is why I picked up another one. There are deals out there that are making things more cost effective, but I’m sure it varies a lot by location.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I just switched my desk lamp to LEDs.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Also, those Costco whole fixtures with two tubes each were only $20 this last weekend

That is a great price for an LED shoplight. I buy mine from SAM’s club made by Lights America. Brightest I have found.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I’ve found plug and play, ballast compatible tubes for around $8 each here in WA but I know they’re subsidized by the state. Also, those Costco whole fixtures with two tubes each were only $20 this last weekend which is why I picked up another one. There are deals out there that are making things more cost effective, but I’m sure it varies a lot by location.

That’s a killer price. The lowest here I have seen is still over $50 for the 2 tube fixture.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.059 seconds