dcsimg

Lighting – upgrades, discussion, LED and new technology

This topic contains 27 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  richardandrews 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

It’s come up a few times and on different threads so I thought I’d put it under one thread here, but there are lots of people on BTP that have a ton of good ideas and experience about how to get better lighting either on the job or in your shop. So anyone who wants to talk about it – here’s a space to do it! I just recently added one LED fixture to my random lighting assortment in my shop and it’s added so much light! And for a shop with only one, mostly obscured window, that means a lot to me.

Charlie

Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

It’s come up a few times and on different threads so I thought I’d put it under one thread here, but there are lots of people on BTP that have a ton of good ideas and experience about how to get better lighting either on the job or in your shop. So anyone who wants to talk about it – here’s a space to do it! I just recently added one LED fixture to my random lighting assortment in my shop and it’s added so much light! And for a shop with only one, mostly obscured window, that means a lot to me.

You should fully automate your lighting if your looking for a real upgrade. I think I’m going to start working on some home automation stuff with the extra raspberry Pi that I have.

What manufacture did you pick for that new led fixture you installed .

Always willing to learn .

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@skillman I’m not sure of the manufacturer, I picked up one of the fixtures on sale at Costco – Feit brand. We just got a new Costco up here in Bellingham (supposed to be the most highly trafficked in the US, or so I’ve heard) so we hadn’t gone in a bit, but a few people on BTP were talking about what a good deal they were, so when we went in to do some Christmas shopping, I got the ok to grab one.

Attachments:

Charlie

Instagram

@skillman I’m not sure of the manufacturer, I picked up one of the fixtures on sale at Costco – Feit brand. We just got a new Costco up here in Bellingham (supposed to be the most highly trafficked in the US, or so I’ve heard) so we hadn’t gone in a bit, but a few people on BTP were talking about what a good deal they were, so when we went in to do some Christmas shopping, I got the ok to grab one.

Okay thanks for sharing with us . I don’t have a Costco by me just a BJ’s Wholesale .

Always willing to learn .

Okay thanks for sharing with us . I don’t have a Costco by me just a BJ’s Wholesale .

they are also available online. they ship it for $4.99
    Online they have a 2-pack for $40 – 3700 lumens, same specs than the ones in the store.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sams Club also has a very good LED light from Lights America that has 6500 lumens. They are very bright.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Mine that I just installed is from TSC; 5500 Lumens, regular $120CDN, on sale before Christmas for $60 (that’s about $45US)

Colour is good compared to fluorescent and cold starting doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Mine that I just installed is from TSC; 5500 Lumens, regular $120CDN, on sale before Christmas for $60 (that’s about $45US)

Colour is good compared to fluorescent and cold starting doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Thanks @cmeyer25 for the dedicated thread, I definitely will be following to pick up info,

@smallerstick that’s a very decent price Peter, the pictures seemed to make a big difference in your shop.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Sams Club also has a very good LED light from Lights America that has 6500 lumens. They are very bright.

I have not seen those Bill. The lights I got from Sams were 4500 lumens. I’m very happy with the light output.

Attachments:

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Thanks @cmeyer25 for the dedicated thread, I definitely will be following to pick up info,

@smallerstick that’s a very decent price Peter, the pictures seemed to make a big difference in your shop.

Thanks, Brian, they do make a really big difference. The lights that came with the place are recycled institutional units with 4 – T8 bulbs in each. They are adequate for area lighting but not for task lighting, at least not for someone my age lol. I have another one of those LED lights over my workbench as well. Those seem to be the 2 areas that I do most of my hand work.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I am in the process of slowly changing my lights to LED.

The shop lights that Costco sell up here are $45 but they sell 4′ LED replacement bulbs that can be placed in any 4′ fixture to replace T12’s and T8’s.

Over the last couple of years I changed all my ballasts to electronic T8 style and swapped all the bulbs.
    Now I’m working on swapping out the bulbs, sold at my local Costco for $20 for two which is cheaper than purchasing the complete fixture.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I installed some can replacements from HD that I got on black Friday. the light improvement was great and they were only 6 bucks each of which the utility will pay half of that. Next time I find a deal like that I will pick some more up. it is a great light improvement. Energy savings, it is not a significant improvement over the CFL I am replacing them with.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m impressed by those specs @ronw, what is the cost and color of your Sams Club lights? 40W and 4500 lumber vs my 42W and only 3700 lumens makes me think it must be an even brighter white, which I’m not 100% sure I’d like. I’ve been working in a much warmer temp environment (which I didn’t ralize until installing the new light – whew! What a difference, especially when getting in there first thing in the morning!) and it’s been a bit of an adjustment waking up to that bright light. But I think the trade off is worth it to have better visibility. Have you worked in different light temps? Do you have a preference?

Charlie

Instagram

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’m impressed by those specs ronw, what is the cost and color of your Sams Club lights? 40W and 4500 lumber vs my 42W and only 3700 lumens makes me think it must be an even brighter white, which I’m not 100% sure I’d like. I’ve been working in a much warmer temp environment (which I didn’t ralize until installing the new light – whew! What a difference, especially when getting in there first thing in the morning!) and it’s been a bit of an adjustment waking up to that bright light. But I think the trade off is worth it to have better visibility. Have you worked in different light temps? Do you have a preference?

They are more expensive than the Costco lights are. At the time I paid around $36 each for them. Then they went two for $60. Now they might be a little cheaper. IDK.

Ron

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Lower watts, higher lumens…eventually it pays for itself right? Thanks for the info @ronw

Charlie

Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Lower watts, higher lumens…eventually it pays for itself right? Thanks for the info @ronw

you just gotta watch the colour value of the light, i don’t like the sterile white, much prefer the standard daylight leds.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Lower watts, higher lumens…eventually it pays for itself right? Thanks for the info ronw

Doubt it will make much difference. At the time they were the best deal around. Now I would buy the Costco light’s. $20 a light is going to be tough to beat.

Ron

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Here is a new take on shop light retrofit. I like the bandsaw task lighting especially. Its toward the end of the video.

...... Winston Churchill

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I may try out the strip lighting as my shop could use more light. Also help with cost hydro bill.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.716 seconds