dcsimg

Let’s Talk Wire Nuts

• This topic has 62 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

and always tape

This. I’ve seen wire nutted connections short out on the box a few times, all could have be solved with a little piece of tape.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There’s not a more sure sign that a non-electrician has been in there than electrical tape on wire nuts. Properly installed, there is absolutely no need for tape. No taping around the device either. All both really accomplish is insuring a nice nasty, gooey residue left for someone down the road.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is a great tip and I have saved it. One question?? Do you just shove the wires in or do you twist them first?

I do not pre-twist. Although some electricians will swear that it’s an absolute must, every box of wire nuts where I’ve ever taken the time to read the directions will state that you just twist them on. Most will add something like “pre-twisting is acceptable, but not required”. In fact, I’m holding a box of Buchanan B-Cap red wire nuts in my hand, and it says just that.

Almost every poor wire nut connection that I’ve ever had to remedy has been due to someone, without the skill, pre-twisting solid conductors. Especially if more than 2 solid conductors.

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.368 seconds