dcsimg

Let’s Talk Wire Nuts

• This topic has 62 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Gotta have the wings

Favorite “wire nut”: Buchanan (or whatever they are now) “B-cap”. The yellow and red each take the widest range of conductors: yellow: 2 #22 to 3 #12; red: 2 #18 to 5 #12. They also twist on faster due to they spring design. The 3M two color (High Performance?) are very good also.

There is no reason to tape any decent wirenut, whether using solid or stranded wire, if it’s properly applied. I always twist the wires into a secure splice before putting on the wirenut (splice should be mechanically and electrically secure without the connector). The only place that I know of where you must tape the wirenut is the NYC Transit system (subway): it’s in their spec.

No reason to solder the wires first: that’s what the wirenuts are for. Solder and tape went out with the horse car

More than you ever wanted to hear about wire nuts?

I’m with Rob – why the wings?

John S

Wings give you just a little extra grip for tightning them… if you’ve got sweat or wirelube on your fingers (from pulling through conduit), a little extra grip can go a long way.

Wingnuts are awesome. Especially if you use wire nuts daily .

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I love the Ideal push type connectors. I really like the “sureness” of pushing each wire into the connector. I prefer Ideal because they are the ones the places I frequent for supplies carry. I am not an electrician but end up moving switches, or replacing lights and ceiling fans.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I have moved to only using the tan wire nuts. I don’t mess around with sized nuts unless there is a space issue in the box. As far as the brand I actually don’t know, just know what they look like.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I went and looked up what I use and they are the tan Ideals. Does anyone use a nut driver to crank down their wire nuts.

gotshokd666
    Pro
    Lakewood, New Jersey

There is no reason to tape any decent wirenut, whether using solid or stranded wire, if it’s properly applied. I always twist the wires into a secure splice before putting on the wirenut (splice should be mechanically and electrically secure without the connector).

No reason to solder the wires first: that’s what the wirenuts are for. Solder and tape went out with the horse car

THIS!

C – welcome to BTP! Are you an electrician by chance? Welcome!

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Welcome C

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The Gardner Bender PushGard connectors look to be a good solution. As far as wire nuts go, I like the Wing Guards.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I don’t buy the push connectors like the Gardner Bender PushGard connectors but when I am installing high quality cans they have them built in and they make install a breeze. I will often price the more expensive cans into a job so that I can speed up the install.

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Jason, have you ever had any instances where the push-type connectors fail? I’ve heard that they are not as good/safe to use as regular wire nuts. Just wanting another opinion.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Matt, knock on wood I have not had any fail. The plastic they use on them doesn’t seem as forgiving as a wire nut. I have about a dozen fixtures / cans in my house that use the push connector system and I have not had any issues. They are tough to use with old junky wire, if someone tired to use them in that case I could see failure being an issue.

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Right. I see. That makes sense, How about the stab-in connectors on outlets? Are you fond of those?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I love the stab in connectors in outlets, after I wrote the last post I was thinking about editing it to compare the two. A stab in connector only works well with newer romex wire. If you try to jam in old strand wire you are going to be plum out of luck.

I think the stab in connector is much faster safer.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I just saw this topic and it is ironic that today I was replacing photo eyes in outdoor lights and i bought these cheap wire nuts and they were giving me tons of problems. off to grainger tomorrow to get the best of the best..whatever those may be

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I love the stab in connectors in outlets, after I wrote the last post I was thinking about editing it to compare the two. A stab in connector only works well with newer romex wire. If you try to jam in old strand wire you are going to be plum out of luck.

I think the stab in connector is much faster safer.

That’s really interesting! When I did my garage last year the advice I had was that the stab-ins were ‘flaky’ and meant more for ‘DIYers’ and was advised to stay away from them. I don’t recall if the ones I had were equipped but I definitely didn’t use them. Might have been some misguided advice I got on that.

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Matt, that’s what I’d always heard, too, so that’s what I’d ask. I guess the choice varies by person. It does make me feel better when I tighten the screw down on the wire; I physically see and feel how tight the screw is and see the wire wrapping further around the screw. Like I said, I guess it’s a personal opinion.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.513 seconds