dcsimg

Let’s Talk Wire Nuts

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    joesainz
    Keymaster
    Chicago, IL

I bet if you ask 10 different electricians about their favorite wire nuts, you would get 10 different responses. Personally, I love the 3M Performance Plus – they grip like a bear. Now we need 9 more electricians to share their favorites 🙂

BillTip
    Pro

To be honest I don’t really care too much. we tend to use the cheapeset though so I dunno

Joe,

As you know I’m a carpenter / remodel-er not an electrician but I do a fair share of removing or moving electrical wires, switches and outlets.

I have to admit I walk out to m truck to look at the box. I use Gardner Bender products because that what is sold locally at my lumberyard.

No issuers holding and I like to tape my wire nuts.
    Anyone else agree on the taping or is it overkill?

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

JimH
    Pro

i know some people who are very particular about their wire nuts but I am not that way. As long as it can get the job done correclty I will use anything

pgc555
    Pro
    Gilberts, Illinois

I like to tape the wire nuts also. i use a lot of strand wire and insures you don’t have just one stray strand sticking out of the connection. It only takes one to short or become a fire hazard

Wire Nuts are a Dime a Dozen (I wish), but I tend to prefer the ‘Tan’ colored ones that work for most wire sizes. But if you’re talking ‘Wire Connectors’, everyone needs to know about Gardner Bender’s PushGard connectors. They are a life saver when you find a wire that is too short in the box you’re working on. They can really get you out of a pinch. You can pigtail on a longer wire by simply press fitting the connector on the short stub. They lock on Tight!

Dfdc
    Pro

I have always called them Marettes no matter what the brand, might be a Canadian thing. They are all the same to me as long as they are the size needed. Those PushGard connectors look pretty sweet, I’ll definitely try to snag a box next time Im at the wholesaler

frym
    Pro

As long as they have wings I am usually happy.

Dfdc
    Pro

And i Do tape them as well

Dodge
    Pro

I like Ideal, they work great and with the wings are very easy to use

http://www.idealindustries.ca/products/prodSelect.php?prodId=WT54-1&div=0&l1=twist-on

Joss13
    Pro

I tend to use 3m wire nuts but if you soider the wires before using the wire nuts, the connection is stronger.

sohnc
    Pro

I have to say wire nuts are wire nuts not having had any issues with GB or Ideal. I haven’t come across pushgards before so thanks for the tip.

Depends on your location the Depot here carries Ideal,I always tape mine when I can reach them. Thanks Robert for the web site it will be a great help

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I’m a ‘wingman’ also and only tape in an exterior location.

IDEAL INDUSTRIES MAKES SOME REALLY
    GREAT WIRE NUTS. THEY HAVE SOME WITH
    THE SMOOTH GRIP TECHNOLOGY. I HAVE A
    BIG 100 COUNT. 3M ALSO HAS SONE GOOD
    ONES.

I use 3M cause they have a plant here w/a store & they are cheap. I like the wing as they are easier to use,for interior use I only tape things that move or vibrate such as a ceiling fan . Also gotta love push guards very handy when working on homes 150 – 200 years old !

Attachments:
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I use Ideal or GB, and always tape… 2 wraps around the wires and then up over the nut, and I fold the end. Makes it easier for the “next” guy to remove the tape if needed.

mark
    Pro
    Jackson, TN

@Craig,
    Just curious, but do you solder your twisted connections? Since twisting the wires together far past the connection will keep them from pulling apart, what would justify the need for soldering? I also tend to think that getting the wires hot enough to melt solder would melt the jacket also. I haven’t heard of anyone doing this, and is only why I ask.

Anywho, as far as twist connectors are concerned, I use 3M or Ideal, but mostly Ideal. I really haven’t felt the urge to tape any of the connections though. I’ll take my Klein’s and twist the connector a little farther than I could with with my fingers and have never had any issues. The Klein’s have to be used to remove the nuts as well.

I’m still leery of the push guards though. I still cut off the ones that come pre-installed with light fixtures and resort the the old fashioned twist connector.

As a remodeler I have little time using wire nuts – tell me why the wings are better… is it for grip?

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.663 seconds