dcsimg

Let's talk track saws

This topic contains 225 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 226 total)
  • Author

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

How do the top three compare for making plunge cuts?

I’ve did it a few times with new saw blades . Had a project and really loved the stops on my track saw So I did not over cut . Plus the marks on the side of my Festool to help with the plunge .

Aright, seems like the Festool is the winner.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I paid $329 for my Makita with a 55″ track.

Dam that’s 11 bucks cheaper than mine and I got mine on sale. Was that a sale price?

I don’t think so, but maybe. It was probably 2 1/2 years ago. They are $400 on Amazon now. I think it was less than what I paid when it was released.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

How do the top three compare for making plunge cuts?

I’ve did it a few times with new saw blades . Had a project and really loved the stops on my track saw So I did not over cut . Plus the marks on the side of my Festool to help with the plunge .

@rylim

That’s a little short sighted! I’ve used both and prefer my Makita. There isn’t anything wrong with the Festool, but all things considered (price) the Makita is just as good and quite a bit cheaper. Accessories are less as well.

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What? Why? How did you come up with that? It must be the green color.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

What? Why? How did you come up with that? It must be the green color.

He’s handing out trophies a little early I think. I’d say the Festool and Makita are equal…but one costs quite a bit more.

Jon P.
    Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

What’s the cost difference between the festool and makita? I know I could look at list prices for the festool, but I’m sure some of you guys are getting some type of discount.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I just saw a used festool listed, he wanted $800, said it was $900 new with tax, that was in bc. I’ll pass, i’ve had great luck with makita tools and will buy that, track saw is getting pretty high up on my ‘to buy’ list after hearing from you guys that use them

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What’s the cost difference between the festool and makita? I know I could look at list prices for the festool, but I’m sure some of you guys are getting some type of discount.

From what nobody get a discount on the mean green. There are a handful of team riders and those guys are across the street.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

From what nobody get a discount on the mean green. There are a handful of team riders and those guys are across the street.

Dirty is right. I’ve been looking at the prices and there is no real discounts. Amazon’s prices are about the same as Woodcraft and sometimes they are more expensive. I think someone posted they have refurbished Festool sales but I can’t remember where.

Doobie

I just saw a used festool listed, he wanted $800, said it was $900 new with tax, that was in bc. I’ll pass, i’ve had great luck with makita tools and will buy that, track saw is getting pretty high up on my ‘to buy’ list after hearing from you guys that use them

That’s a bit steep. I wouldn’t pay that much even on Festool for a used item.

I think someone posted they have refurbished Festool sales but I can’t remember where.

They have nationwide Festool refurb sales every so often in the US. In Canada, they do it differently.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The mafell does one thing non of the other ones do. With one button you can send that track saw across the material autonomously. For safety and ease of use you can’t beat that.

Woodworkers Journal has a good review comparing the tracksaws on their site. Here is the link: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/track-saw-review/

If you want to skip the article, here is their conclusion:

Our “Track Star” Picks

This time out, Makita’s SP6000J1 deserves “Best Value” kudos. It cuts exceptionally well at a price far below some others. And for “Best Bet,” Festool wins by a nose over the more costly but equally proficient Mafell. The TS 55 offers solid cutting performance and superior dust control in a user-friendly tool.

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

The mafell does one thing non of the other ones do. With one button you can send that track saw across the material autonomously. For safety and ease of use you can’t beat that.

Reminds me of the cutting torch track welders use. Set the speed and let it go. That’s pretty cool.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

IMO, unless you are a serious user, the Makita should suite you well. we probably use ours every week or 2 and it is really handy when we need it. It was in the $400 range with 2 – 55″ tracks, I also got track connectors and clamps. I wanted the two tracks for breaking down 8′ material, but I did not feel that I needed a 120″ track just for that. It was a lot more money than the extra 55 with connectors. If I were using it for crosscutting sheets and ripping sheets on a regular basis, I would have gone with the longer track to save time switching.

My guys love the saw and in a lot of cases it will help them do more accurate work and save time also. Where we have found it the most useful is when working alone breaking down sheet goods and for cutting down doors if needed to clear carpet.

If you have the 18v Bosch circ saw, you could get the track for it from Amazon.uk for a cheaper track-saw-ish option

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/track-for-bosch-18v-saw/

If you have the 18v Bosch circ saw, you could get the track for it from Amazon.uk for a cheaper track-saw-ish option

Has anyone done this though? How does it compare to the ones designed as Track saws?

Doobie

I probably would have went with Makita myself, but the little lip they have in their track to keep the saw from tipping made it that other Festool stuff I wanted to integrate later would not work.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Does the Makita come with a case/bag?

Does the Makita come with a case/bag?

The Makita comes in a Makita Systainer. It’s like the Tanos Systainer Classic. Nice case. FYI, the Makita track saw is made in the UK.

Doobie

I’m surprised there are not more brands that haven’t come out with their own track saw system. They’re becoming quite common nowadays.

RyanF
    Pro

Very happy with the Bosch. Included 48 tooth blade is excellent. Rails connect dead straight and easily. Cuts quality is amazing, and the dust collection is great hooked to a Festool ct48. Spent about $500 for everything pictured.

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 226 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.611 seconds