dcsimg

Let's talk track saws

This topic contains 225 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 226 total)
  • Author

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Who makes a decent quality track saw without an insane price tag? Does skil make a track saw?

amulder
    Pro
    London, ON

It’s mainly DeWalt and Makita, isn’t it?

There’s a lot of Festool love out there, but I have seen at least a few Youtube videos of people who were happy with their DeWalt.

ps: here’s a review of them I found: https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/tools/track-saws
    (it’s a few years old though, I think.)

www.wordsnwood.com

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

Our cabinetmaker has both a makita and a festool. He likes the festool and his guys like the makita. Seems to be preference for them. I was thinking of buying a tracksaw for the odd side job.

Can’t help with the cheap saws . I have Festools newer track saw model . Got it with the CT Midi . Could not be anymore happy with it . Got it with a 55″ rail And four clamps . Here is a picture of it when I first bought it .

Attachments:

Always willing to learn .

Tons of older threads on this exact question. Top of the line would be Mafell followed by Festool. Festool would be the most common answer. Makita would be third. Dewalt next. Then there are a few others out there, Triton, Bosch, Grizzly.

We have the TS55 and have been very happy. After listening to others I wouldn’t hesitate to look at the Makita.

Of course after Brad purchased his Mafell I really liked the features and design of that unit…but it comes at a steep cost.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Festool has 3 models now including a cordless version. That does look interesting. Based on the earlier threads, it sounds like the Makita tracks received higher ranking. Unless you want the Mafell, you can’t go wrong with either Festool or Makita.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

Tons of older threads on this exact question. Top of the line would be Mafell followed by Festool. Festool would be the most common answer. Makita would be third. Dewalt next. Then there are a few others out there, Triton, Bosch, Grizzly.

We have the TS55 and have been very happy. After listening to others I wouldn’t hesitate to look at the Makita.

Of course after Brad purchased his Mafell I really liked the features and design of that unit…but it comes at a steep cost.

Mafell is the top line ? I thought it is the same line with Festool. However, Festool isn’t that famous though.

Mafell is the top line ? I thought it is the same line with Festool. However, Festool isn’t that famous though.

Overseas Mafell is quite the top grade tool line. I am not saying Festool isn’t, but Mafell has some very nice equipment and is quite a bit more expensive. @thedude306 can chime in on his thoughts on them.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

If you have the 18v Bosch circ saw, you could get the track for it from Amazon.uk for a cheaper track-saw-ish option

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/track-for-bosch-18v-saw/

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like my Makita and got it on sale for 340.00$ with a 55″ track. I use it a lot and it has the same if not more power than the festool over prices track saw. I’ve use it side by side with the festool.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Both companies make nice products. IMO Mafell makes better task orientated tools. The festool “system” gets mushy. (trying to do/be too many things) I also hold the makita in high regard for a jobsite saw.

It’s all about what you need and how you intend to use it. My Mafell will never be a production/jobsite saw. It’s going to build a house and all it’s contents. I wanted the best available option, and at the time that was the KSS400 and the MT55. Both excel at different tasks.

The big one for me was the tracks and the connection system. Sounds silly to base a saw purchase on that but now after a year of use (or maybe less I guess) I am glad I did. The FSN tracks make the saw. 1600mm max lengths are all you need. Add as many of them together as you want. Perfectly aligned every time. Simple and robust.

The reality (for me anyways) is the saw is just a saw. Yup, the fit and finish are top quality. The motors are powerful. The features are simple and intuitive (blade change, depth stop, scoring feature etc) but I would take any old saw on the FSN tracks. I yearn for a 18V cordless bosch that fits on the track and cuts 2x material. I will most likely try and make my own base plate so I can do just that.

Oh, the DC on the Mafell saws are nice too. Like REALLY nice. I can’t comment on the others, but DC is becoming a big issues for me so it’s a nice feature.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I like my Makita and got it on sale for 340.00$ with a 55″ track. I use it a lot and it has the same if not more power than the festool over prices track saw. I’ve use it side by side with the festool.

@dirtywhiteboy Thanks for being the first to post a price, I was almost afraid to ask, that sounds very reasonable. Did that cost include the tracks? Also, sorry for bringing up an old topic but I figured we could use a bit of actual tool talk here.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have the Makita and couldn’t be more happy with it. While it wasn’t cheap, there are others that cost quite a bit more. A few “knock offs” have been popping, but if you are buying a track saw, you are buying a precision tool. There is nothing about a cheapo that says “precision” to me.

A Google search for comparisons and reviews will result in many people saying the three most popular models in the U.S. are all good saws. The Festool is usually the winner followed by Makita then Dewalt.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

@dirtywhiteboy Thanks for being the first to post a price, I was almost afraid to ask, that sounds very reasonable. Did that cost include the tracks? Also, sorry for bringing up an old topic but I figured we could use a bit of actual tool talk here.

Price from a Canadian supplier is $500 with 55″ track.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I paid $329 for my Makita with a 55″ track. I bought a set of F clamps ($20-25) at the same time. Since then, I bought a 118″ track (only paid for the 55″ due to a shipping error from Makita to my lumber yard and a set of connectors ( you need 2 sets to connect tracks. No idea why they aren’t sold that way!).

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Festool has 3 models now including a cordless version. That does look interesting. Based on the earlier threads, it sounds like the Makita tracks received higher ranking. Unless you want the Mafell, you can’t go wrong with either Festool or Makita.

There really pushing the cordless saw in a marketing campaign . I see a lot of guy buying the bag and using it on the cord saws . The newer saw has a lock bump on hose port over the old one which just door type hose down to track saw base .

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

How do the top three compare for making plunge cuts?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I paid $329 for my Makita with a 55″ track.

Dam that’s 11 bucks cheaper than mine and I got mine on sale. Was that a sale price?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

You guys got a good deal on your Makitas. I got mine for $375 at the end of last year when they had $25 off special.

How do the top three compare for making plunge cuts?

I’ve did it a few times with new saw blades . Had a project and really loved the stops on my track saw So I did not over cut . Plus the marks on the side of my Festool to help with the plunge .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 226 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.528 seconds