dcsimg

Lego or Meccano or ?????

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Sven’s very cool lego in his 1A L-boxx got me thinking, how many of you guys in the trades played with lego as kids.

I had a HUGE collection. I actually am getting my M&D to bring it too me this weekend as I completely forgot about it. Lots has been lost over the year (I’m 40) but there’s still plenty.

I also had an old skool meccano set but it’s long gone.

I wonder if it had anything to do with why I like to build things now?

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Yeah, I had Legos, Lincoln Logs, and an Erector set. I would also always get in trouble for damming up the creek with rocks and fallen tree branches…..

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I had Legos and an erector set. They sure were not what they are today. Still have both somewhere. My 10 year old daughter really likes the newer lego sets..

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Legos all day! And now with my son I play mega blocks often lol

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder if it had anything to do with why I like to build things now?

I too had Legos and an erector set, I don’t think it had anything to do with what you do today. It just shows that building was in our blood as young kids too, I really think it’s something we’re born with……I remember one of my all time favorite models, I had many but this one was a clear see through real turning V-8 engine. The block was clear and the pistons rods valves and other internals were blue if I remember right. Think I was about 10 when I built that. It was VERY educational

I had (and still have) a ton of legos. My daughters have some of the Lego “Friends” kits (they’re girl themes) and also use some of my old legos too.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I would play with Legos for hours. I still have a tub that my kids play with. Hell I still have all my G.I. Joes in a box tucked away. lol

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Hell I still have all my G.I. Joes in a box tucked away. lol

Is that the full size dolls or the little plastic crap. I had the full size dolls. Those where fun 🙂

Brad T

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I wasn’t to into Lego’s, but I played with an erector set a bunch.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Hell I still have all my G.I. Joes in a box tucked away. lol

Is that the full size dolls or the little plastic crap. I had the full size dolls. Those where fun :-)

They were just discontinuing the full size (Barbie size) when I was getting into them. They are a little over 30 years old and have held up. Had to replace the little O-ring that held the body to the legs on a few a couple times.

No Lego’s for me, after my time so to speak. Grandson has a ton. I had Erector set, Lincoln logs, and Lionel trains. Oh yeah, HO race cars too.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I forgot about Lincoln logs. Spent a lot of days messing around with them.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I forgot about Lincoln logs. Spent a lot of days messing around with them.

Yea I built me plenty with Lincoln logs too. Just the thought makes me want to buy some to play with lol.

Had the erector set. Hours and hours of time spent on it.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Same few here. Legos, Lincoln logs & erector set.
    I remember green planks or something with the Lincoln logs. Maybe roof.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

What’s a Meccano?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

meccano is like an erector set. It might be british I haven’t googled it. I think I actually had both.

Brad T

We had legos, lincoln logs, k’nex, duplos, and playmobiles (yeah, I’m so young I had playmobiles… haha) They are all at my parents house still for when we had kids which I now have. One day my kids will be playing with them.

redwood
    Pro

I’m with Lon, legos came later. My son’s had a ton of lego’s though and I got my fill through them.

I had lincoln logs and the erector sets, but mostly I just played outside. Southern Calif. at the time.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

We had legos, lincoln logs, k’nex, duplos, and playmobiles (yeah, I’m so young I had playmobiles… haha) They are all at my parents house still for when we had kids which I now have. One day my kids will be playing with them.

haha you aren’t alone in being young enough for playmobiles 🙂 but I mostly played with legos and lincoln logs growing up. One of my friends with kids has all sorts of super intense lego sets with very specific building plans and themes – star wars, a fire station, etc… I don’t recall lego sets being so specific growing up?

Anyways, the latest Lego movie kinda made it a point to say that (for kids) it isn’t about creating the perfect imitation of what the set intends, but about being creative and having fun along the way.

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.519 seconds