dcsimg

Learning tile

This topic contains 38 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Have fun with it, it’s always easy to find ( around here) a rental property or two to practice on and still make a few bucks

Update: tools are en route. I was talking to a family member, and he volunteered his bathroom to play with. It’s a secondary bathroom he never uses and won’t miss.

Got a week gap in work next week, so I’m diving in and taking my time.

He assured me that worse case scenario he will just hire a guy he knows to redo it from scratch, wow. Literally a no lose deal. So I’ll be starting a thread with tons of pics and questions.

Also been reading alot of material too that you guys pointed me too. Thanks so much!

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Update: tools are en route. I was talking to a family member, and he volunteered his bathroom to play with. It’s a secondary bathroom he never uses and won’t miss.

Got a week gap in work next week, so I’m diving in and taking my time.

He assured me that worse case scenario he will just hire a guy he knows to redo it from scratch, wow. Literally a no lose deal. So I’ll be starting a thread with tons of pics and questions.

Also been reading alot of material too that you guys pointed me too. Thanks so much!

Sounds like a nice opportunity for you to learn. And He might just get a newly remodeled bath. Win for both.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Schluter can send out a ton of stuff to you. I got a DVD from them that shows how to use or install just about all their products.

Kevin.

Stilla
    Pro

Always take the time to understand that when you are “finished,” someone else still has to finish their work. Ask lots of questions. If you are tiling around a ceiling light or plumbing fixtures, ask for the trim. I find that as a carpenter, my ability to widen openings in tile for plumbers and electricians with a file and a nail set, is a real talent. Sometimes I even pull out my hammer drill.

Sometimes i am asked to use my dexterity with caulk to hide a gap between trims and the tile work.

I am finding that metal tile edging is popular.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Well, shucks, I wished I’d been around earlier this week.

Congrats on the new project.

Here’s what I’ve got. Everyone else pretty much touched on all of the stuff I was gonna say.

Roger at FloorElf is great. Really good info.
    JohnBridge forum is excellent.
    Angus is a genius.
    I highly recommend Michael Byrne’s books.

I understand this is a Bosch forum, but still, millions of square feet of tile have been, and still are, laid, without a cross line laser. Neat, yes. Essential, NO. A tape measure, chalk line and some BarWalt straight edges will do as good a job.

Also, Bosch and DeWalt are not really pro-grade tile saws. Husqvarna and MK Diamond are far better tools.

I’ve read a ton on tile installation, and I’m glad for it, but one of my best experiences was the opportunity to work with probably the best tile contractor in my area on a big kitchen remodel. It was an excellent learning experience.

I have no problem working for free for a fellow contractor, if I have the time, if he’ll teach me something I want to know.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Also, Bosch and DeWalt are not really pro-grade tile saws. Husqvarna and MK Diamond are far better tools.

I looked at those, but with all the overwhelming online great reviews on the Dewalt, and I’m not a Dewalt fan, I went for the Dewalt. Aside from the belt driven Husq and some of the better line MK models for longevity, what else is the differences in your opinion. Not sayin’ this as a challenge in any manner. I just want to know from a pro.

Kevin.

I guess I will disagree…I have seen tons of pros using and loving the Dewalt tile saw. I would like to upgrade our 7″ MK sometime but not sure what I would go to next.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I looked at those, but with all the overwhelming online great reviews on the Dewalt, and I’m not a Dewalt fan, I went for the Dewalt. Aside from the belt driven Husq and some of the better line MK models for longevity, what else is the differences in your opinion. Not sayin’ this as a challenge in any manner. I just want to know from a pro.

Before trusting a review on the internet, I like to see what folks are using. You may be surprised.

New toys have arrived..

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Before trusting a review on the internet, I like to see what folks are using. You may be surprised.

I guess I will disagree…I have seen tons of pros using and loving the Dewalt tile saw. I would like to upgrade our 7″ MK sometime but not sure what I would go to next.

You know what sold me on the Dewalt? Largely the HD rentals tools dept. They’d been using them for years, and aside where one of their rentals needed new arbor bearings, they’d been in and out no probs with their semi-typical rental client abusers. They also had a big MK on a mobile stand that they said never goes out even with their known tile pro clients as it is too much of a Hercules to deal with.

If one wants to venture back into my old thread of my quest in getting a 10in tile saw, please do! Basically it boiled down to tons of great reviews; the fact that many of these saws were coming out of the same factory; and the value/cost to me superceded a much more heavier and expensive MK belt drive saw versus the Dewalt.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/wet-tile-saw-recommendations/

Kevin.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

New toys have arrived..

Congratulations, those are going to be great, and will last for a long time.
    Looks like my set up. , great little laser. Looking forward to seeing how you do, I’m sure you will be excellent.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

To be perfectly honest, I don’t know!

I looked at the DeWalt when it first came out, and I remember there being some concerns about it’s durability and water containment, and I ended up getting an MK.

I also asked my tile sub about the DeWalt, and he was very unenthusiastic about it, but this was almost 10 years ago, so maybe a lot has changed.

I don’t have my subscriptions to JLC or FHB anymore, so I seem to be a bit more out of the loop than I used to be. I should try to keep up a bit more!

Thanks for the update on that unit.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

If you haven’t done any tile work before, I would start with some bathroom floor tile then move on to a backsplash. Tile showers are really the pinnacle of it due to the waterproofing aspect, critical tolerances, the fact that it is directly in front of the customer’s face, and the consequences if something goes wrong.

There are a lot of things to learn like using the proper thinset, trowel, and consistency, back-buttering, setting in your grout color if possible, proper spacing leaving an 1/8″ gap to your tub to seal properly, using sanded caulk in all inside corners, figuring out your pattern, starting your first row level above the tub, etc.

Taking the time to make sure things are level and straight is critical. It will save you 10x the time and hassle in the long run. I did a floor job last week, it was a 30′ L-shaped hallway with a bedroom off either end and then another bedroom, bathroom, and 2 closets coming off of it. My helper was getting frustrated that I spent 2 hours on the layout getting everything straight, but that allowed us to set 1200′ in 2 days with zero problems or surprises.

Ridgid’s $300 7″ tile saw is really nice if you’re just getting started and don’t need to do stone or marble tiles. You’ll want a larger pro grade saw in the future but the smaller, lighter on is really nice to carry around and set up and tear down.

You’ll also need a chipping hammer and ideally a tuckpointing guard if you plan to do the demo work as well.

I am the in house carpenter at a large flooring store. I’m not a tile man, but I can offer a little advice.

The crews that we have use a nice high dollar tile cutter and a grinder for most of their work. They only pull out the wet saw for marble or tumble stone. They don’t use a laser. And, their work is top notch.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Angus on CT was a wealth of excellent knowledge and his posts are still available by search.

Angus is a tile wizard!!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Angus on CT was a wealth of excellent knowledge

Angus is a tile wizard!!!

Angus is a genius.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.060 seconds