dcsimg

Learning tile

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author

I am looking for books on tile installation. I am purchasing a dewalt 10 inch wet tile saw this week as my first tile tool (amongst many things).

Since I currently refinish/repair bathtubs, the next logical step is learning tile for bathroom remideling. I already have a mock tub in my garage all drywalled up to experiment with supplier samples, so I figure I will tear out the drywall and start practicing tile installations.

So what books should I get?

TCNA has great guidelines for proper tile installation specs and techniques.

Angus on CT was a wealth of excellent knowledge and his posts are still available by search.

Sal DiBlasi on youtube has very good videos. Tile is a lot about proper layout, pre-planning, and what looks good to the eye.

I agree that it can be a nice addition to your business model.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

@driftweed for any tile installation you need flat surface and level. With out installing anyyhing.make sure you measure your pieces on the wall or floor and decide where you wanna start your tile from. You Def need crossline laser. 100% invest on laser level before wetsaw.and should look into bosch tc10 wetsaw best wetsaw I used till today best table best power and torque. You can rely on that. But start with tile cutter first since tile cutter can cut lot of material rapidly. Wetsaw is for stone cutting like marble or granite. And you Def need a grinder. With continues diamond blade

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Check out the John Bridge forum for a deep look at some cool projects.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@AndyG is your man for info on tiling.

Here is a thread chalk full of great information, tips and tricks.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/tile-showers-and-tub-surrounds/

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

All good information. I keep a TCNA book to know what is called out for what situation. I also bought Tiling for Contractors from J Byrne he gives you an installers perspective and insight.

For me its good to know, I have decided I dont want to install tile. I wouldnt mind laying it but cleaning the joints and grouting suck. Plus cost wise its more practical and efficient to have 2 guys one cutting and mixing batches while one lays. Doing it all myself jacks up cost.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am looking for books on tile installation. I am purchasing a dewalt 10 inch wet tile saw this week as my first tile tool (amongst many things).

Since I currently refinish/repair bathtubs, the next logical step is learning tile for bathroom remideling. I already have a mock tub in my garage all drywalled up to experiment with supplier samples, so I figure I will tear out the drywall and start practicing tile installations.

have someone who knows tile come give you a hand learning. I know once I get around to it, i’ll have @58chev come by and show me how its done.

overanalize and 58chev gave you some great resources

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

have someone who knows tile come give you a hand learning. I know once I get around to it, i’ll have @58chev come by and show me how its done.

That makes sense to me. I find it much easier to learn from someone who knows. If not possible, try to find some videos of the process. Learning something like tile is hard to do by reading a book. It will never hurt to read a good book or two, but watching someone skilled do it will be at least as helpful as a book. This is coming from someone whose library card is the most used card in the wallet.

That makes sense to me. I find it much easier to learn from someone who knows. If not possible, try to find some videos of the process. Learning something like tile is hard to do by reading a book. It will never hurt to read a good book or two, but watching someone skilled do it will be at least as helpful as a book. This is coming from someone whose library card is the most used card in the wallet.

Agree that it is nice to have someone show how it is done. Also concerned with what they know. This is not meant with disrespect to anyone, but so much has and is changing that one persons view may limit what you know. That is a good start, but folks mentioned share their thoughts and methods on a regular basis, which gives an influx of ideas

Thanks for the links guys. I will definitely be watching and reading alot.

Doobie

One of the members here recently mentioned this book by Michael Byrnes as a great advanced book for tilling.

https://www.amazon.com/Tiling-Contractors-Michael-Byrne/dp/1928580440

Unfortunately, I think it is out of print andup here in Canada I cannot find it anywhere. I do already have anotherone of his books “Setting Tile”, but it is not nearly as comprehensive it seems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561580805/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1561580805&pd_rd_r=8G8Y4BZZDEG7MKW6597B&pd_rd_w=9Ayvg&pd_rd_wg=CNLc2&psc=1&refRID=8G8Y4BZZDEG7MKW6597B

Good tiling is not for amateurs. Prep, prep, prep! Plan, plan, plan, and make sure you are square and plumbl

am purchasing a dewalt 10 inch wet tile saw this week as my first tile tool

I bought that tile saw too after this thread in my search of one. Shamefully, I’ve yet to use it.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/wet-tile-saw-recommendations/

Your thread was what motivated me to look into purchasing one. However, I just cancelled the order and bought the following: Bosch GLL-2 self leveling crossline laser, Bosch High Performance 6 inch angle grinder, tile nippers, and a QEP 34 inch snap cutter. For now I will stay away from the thicker tile jobs, But will definitely be setting aside money from each job for the wet saw in the future.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Your thread was what motivated me to look into purchasing one. However, I just cancelled the order and bought the following: Bosch GLL-2 self leveling crossline laser, Bosch High Performance 6 inch angle grinder, tile nippers, and a QEP 34 inch snap cutter. For now I will stay away from the thicker tile jobs, But will definitely be setting aside money from each job for the wet saw in the future.

That was a wise choice from my experience.

I’ve thought about and considered getting a nice big tile saw, but between my beat up old snap cutter and my grinder, I’ve never found anything I couldn’t do.

redwood
    Pro

Here is another good site for tile work. Quite a character.

http://floorelf.com/

Laying tile is a art and a good job is not as easy as it looks. Takes lot’s of practice that you can’t learn out of a book unfortunately.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

@redwood is right, no matter how much you read or watch you really have to dive in and try it before you can really learn.

And don’t be afraid to try different spacing and leveling systems. Just because you watch a video and one looks good and you buy it, doesn’t mean that you should count the others out later on. They all have different applications in which they excel.

I’m still Learning tiling still to this day . Seems every year new tile sizes , materials , leveling systems and heating mats . I’m a big fan of MK tile saws . Most important thing is level , flat , square , plumb what every surface you tile on .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

I’m still Learning tiling still to this day . Seems every year new tile sizes , materials , leveling systems and heating mats . I’m a big fan of MK tile saws . Most important thing is level , flat , square , plumb what every surface you tile on .

Tile work for bathrooms is a never ending work of learning. Isn’t that one of its beauties?

I like skills that are never ending learning. Keeps the brain workin’ which is a good thing.

Tile work for bathrooms is a never ending work of learning. Isn’t that one of its beauties?

I like skills that are never ending learning. Keeps the brain workin’ which is a good thing.

Best waterproofing system is Wedi hands down it’s all I use on showers .

Always willing to learn .

Wow, congrats for branching out, many members gave you great idea and information already,

Like Skillman mentioned, still learning new tricks and methods,

I think the thing is not to try to rush the job, proper planning and layout is key to a good looking job,

Good luck, looking forward to seeing and hearing about your first go

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.324 seconds