dcsimg

Learning Sketch Up

This topic contains 21 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kyle kswiss 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Greg
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

This year I am going to make another attempt to learn Sketch up. I have some many ideas I would like to put on paper. But sketching with pencil & paper is not the fasts way for me doing this. So I was thinking if I get a chance to sit in from of the computer I could do a little bit each time in Sketch up. Yes I know there is tutorials to watch. Just wonder how you forum members did to learn Sketch up?

Thanks

Greg

Profile photo of Tom
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I am not a pro by any means and I never spent time doing tutorials but I can do quite a bit on SU.

Just messing around with it. A lot of it becomes understanding the planning or layers. Even if you know how to do something or what does what if you forget something after a bunch of layers it can be a pain.
    Use tutorials as you go for specific tasks you get frustrated with. Otherwise it’s information overload.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Profile photo of Bailey
    MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I agree with TopNotch. Use the tutorials when you can’t figure out how to do something in a reasonable amount of time. They are helpful but I prefer to learn it by messing around. One thing I’ll say is that it’s helpful to stick with it for a while. I spent a few months working with Sketchup for 15-20 mins each day. This was very helpful for me for remembering how to do things. I had previously tried to learn it to use for a job at a time, and I’d forget how to do things.
    One other point is that it’s a long learning curve. You’ll probably never know how to do everything instantaneously with Sketchup, so don’t be shy with using your tutorials even after you feel like you know what you’re doing. Good luck!

Profile photo of Chad
    ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I primarily learned Sketchup through trial and error – I messed around with it until I got the hang of it. I would look up tutorials on how to do specific tasks, fast forward to the part I wanted, and went back to messing around until I figured it out.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

Profile photo of Greg
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I am not a pro by any means and I never spent time doing tutorials but I can do quite a bit on SU.

Just messing around with it. A lot of it becomes understanding the planning or layers. Even if you know how to do something or what does what if you forget something after a bunch of layers it can be a pain.
    Use tutorials as you go for specific tasks you get frustrated with. Otherwise it’s information overload.

Yes I watched tutorials and can be information overload.

I agree with TopNotch. Use the tutorials when you can’t figure out how to do something in a reasonable amount of time. They are helpful but I prefer to learn it by messing around. One thing I’ll say is that it’s helpful to stick with it for a while. I spent a few months working with Sketchup for 15-20 mins each day. This was very helpful for me for remembering how to do things. I had previously tried to learn it to use for a job at a time, and I’d forget how to do things.
    One other point is that it’s a long learning curve. You’ll probably never know how to do everything instantaneously with Sketchup, so don’t be shy with using your tutorials even after you feel like you know what you’re doing. Good luck!

Yes I think I will try using Sketch up for 15 to 20 minutes a day.

I primarily learned Sketchup through trial and error – I messed around with it until I got the hang of it. I would look up tutorials on how to do specific tasks, fast forward to the part I wanted, and went back to messing around until I figured it out.

Learning stuff by trial & error is how normal figure stuff out. I really want learn Sketch up. I think it can be very helpful to me.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Greg

Profile photo of Alex
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’ve been thinking of taking another crack at learning SU. Winter seems like the best time for me to try again since I’m a little slower on jobs.

Last time I watched tutorials and just got way too overwhelmed and confused lol.

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’ve been thinking of taking another crack at learning SU. Winter seems like the best time for me to try again since I’m a little slower on jobs.

Last time I watched tutorials and just got way too overwhelmed and confused lol.

I really need to give it another try. I’m sure with some use it could become a great resource to have. Like you I was confused and got frustrated so I gave up.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Profile photo of Kyle
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Does anyone ever use fusion 360 or solidworks?

Profile photo of Greg
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Well this what I was thinking to give try over the winter. I find tutorials are good. But go by to fast. Plus alot pausing & rewinding.

I just I learn it this time.

Greg

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Like a lot of you, I have messed around with SU a few times. I’m a pencil and paper guy but SU has many features to enhance the design process.

I do need to give it another shot.

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of Greg
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I would like do some pencil & paper too. I have got away from it. I learnt Blue print reading in College. We had to make small blueprints. I was pretty good at it and liked doing it. But it has been so long since I have done it I forget how.

Greg

Profile photo of Pat
    DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

I’d really like to take another try at SU. My first try was fun, doing a layout for my new kitchen. But I don’t know what happened after that. I just lost my way in the program. Gonna download the 2017 and see if it’s more user-friendly.

Pat

Profile photo of Greg
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have heard that Sketch Up 8 is the better one to use.

Greg

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@kswiss
    I dabbled with Solidworks, what seems like a lifetime ago.
    I’m like Peter a pencil and paper kinda guy.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Blocked
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No , buy it sounds like a good idea for a thread,, you could tell us all about it. My son likes Rhino 3D.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Check out Jay Bates’ channel. As well as lots of good woodworking stuff, he has done a series of videos on how he uses Sketchup to design his projects.

It’s real world stuff and he has some great techniques that I would have never found just by trial and error.

https://jayscustomcreations.com/sketchup/

Cheers

Simon

Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@couplands

Welcome to BTP! Please stop by our introductions thread and tell us about yourself!

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourself-v3-0/page/38/

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I don’t use SU often, so when I do open it up, I have to go through the tutorials all over again. It’s one of those things that if you are using it all the time, you learn and remember easy ways to do things. Jay has some good info on his site and also a download for the earlier version of it. One thing to remember is that if you open up the file in a newer version, an older version may not run it again.

A link to one of the tutorials I use.

http://www.harwoodpodcast.com/sketchup/sketchup-1-the-sketchup-interface.html

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Profile photo of Bailey
    MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Plus alot pausing & rewinding.

One trick I just learned about Youtube (where a lot of the SU tutorials are) is that you can press the K key on your keyboard to pause/play, the J button jumps back 10 seconds, and the L key jumps forward 10 seconds. This has been immensely helpful with tutorial-type videos when you miss something, but getting the slider to just the right place is a challenge, especially with a long video. Hope that helps a little!!

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Plus alot pausing & rewinding.

One trick I just learned about Youtube (where a lot of the SU tutorials are) is that you can press the K key on your keyboard to pause/play, the J button jumps back 10 seconds, and the L key jumps forward 10 seconds. This has been immensely helpful with tutorial-type videos when you miss something, but getting the slider to just the right place is a challenge, especially with a long video. Hope that helps a little!!

Thank you so much for sharing that one! What a huge time saver.

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.171 seconds