dcsimg

Leaky Bath tub

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Ok I believe I have a leaky bath tub. I have two problems one is the I am not really sure where it is leaking and number I can’t get contractor replace it right away. He is coming to look at this week. When I talk to I didn’t know the tub was leaking. I thought I the gasket on the toilet was leaking. While checking out the toilet I notice some rust on the tub near the over flow.

I need to do a quick fix to stop the leak and as this bathtub is used by tenants in the upstairs. I found that JB Welds makes epoxy putty for these type of repairs.

https://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy-putty-sticks/products/waterweld-epoxy-puttyapartment.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would not be using JB weld on the overflow!

There ought to be a rubber gasket behind the metal cover. The gasket smashes between the plastic pipe and the back side of the tub.

Its possible that it is out of place…check that it is lined up properly before trying to JB weld anything.

Since you arent’ sure where the water is coming from…check the tub drain/ plumbing below the tub.

The overflow can’t leak unless the tub is filled up to that height. Plug the tub drain, turn on the water and fill it up a few inches…pull the drain and see if it still leaks. If so, it’s definitely not the overflow.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I would not be using JB weld on the overflow!

There ought to be a rubber gasket behind the metal cover. The gasket smashes between the plastic pipe and the back side of the tub.

Its possible that it is out of place…check that it is lined up properly before trying to JB weld anything.

Since you arent’ sure where the water is coming from…check the tub drain/ plumbing below the tub.

The overflow can’t leak unless the tub is filled up to that height. Plug the tub drain, turn on the water and fill it up a few inches…pull the drain and see if it still leaks. If so, it’s definitely not the overflow.

I did think of the gasket at overflow. It very well could be it. I will pick up a new one tomorrow. It doesn’t seem to be a bad leak. It is hard to see the drain. I will take a closer look tomorrow.

The tub gets 3x times a day 7 days for last 4 months. Before that it wasn’t used for awhile.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have found quite a few tubs leaking when they took a shower and the water would get behind the plate behind the faucet valve and or the overflow. A quick seal with some silicone fixed them up fast. I guess proper fix would be a new gasket. If it is the drain leaking it is usually a rusted thru metal drain pipe.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Plug drain and fill a bit, shut off. If you pull the plug and it leaks then its the drain leaking.

Turn on the shower then look for a leak, see nothing then aim the shower on the wall. Most of the time its the tile/tub joint being battered and need sealant

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I agree, most tub leaks near the drain are the overflow. Do you have a hatch on the wall behind it?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Another common leak is the connection between the pipe and the tub spout especially those with a pop up diverter.

The leak could happen at the actual threaded or slip connection or when the diverter knob is being pulled and that piece that blocks the flow to the spout and sends it up to the shower could wear out and either way you have water seeping on the outside of the pipe inside the spout body. If where the pipe penetrates the wall is sealed and caulked it would run down the tiles, but if that opening is not sealed water would get back in there & drip down.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Jon said exactly about the overflow,
    If the gasket is not installed properly, that’s one area, it could also be loose,

What type of material is the drain? I don’t know the age of the house, is it plastic I presume, sometimes they can have a small Crack or defects,
    If it’s cast or steel, might be rusted,
    Or could be around the joints,

And also like Ron mentioned, depending on how the tiling and membrane was done behind the tile, could be from the faucet or filling water spout.

Good luck with that, looking forward to hearing what you find.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

All kinds of jumping to conclusions here. I never see waste drains leak unless they are chronically clogged without clearing. Which happens with shower hair then snaking through the overflow

So in my experience those gaskets will hold up well until someone screws with them. Then an old gasket will leak.

By the looks of the picture, the whole thing is either dirty or old.

Is this a 3 stem bath valve? The valve stems could be dripping straight down when turned on or the gasket on the Hot stem melted to deterioration and is a steady drip.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have found quite a few tubs leaking when they took a shower and the water would get behind the plate behind the faucet valve and or the overflow. A quick seal with some silicone fixed them up fast

It looks like the leak was caused by water getting behind the faucet. I took it it off and put some silicone behind and stuck it back on. I also replaced the the overflow gasket as I had bought it.

I waited til my tenant came home from work. Before did any repairs. It turns he was having a shower I when in the bedroom too see if was leaking. It wasn’t long and water was dripping.

o you have a hatch on the wall behind it?

No there is no hatch.

Is this a 3 stem bath valve? The valve stems could be dripping straight down when turned on or the gasket on the Hot stem melted to deterioration and is a steady drip

No the shower is turned on by a plunger on the faucet.

I also did some trouble shooting and the shower head is removable. I used it with low pressure and sprayed areas to find leaks as I had my wife on the speaker phone.

I would like to thank every for there suggestions. I didn’t sleep well last night thinking about this. I could get my brain to quit trying fix the problem.

The timing of this leak sucks as we had put aside for some other things. They say things happen for reason.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.576 seconds