dcsimg

Lawn & Garden Equipment

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

How come there isn’t a dedicated subforum for lawn & garden equipment? Corded, gas, or battery powered?

CB
    Spectator

How come there isn’t a dedicated subforum for lawn & garden equipment? Corded, gas, or battery powered?

Because this forum is called “Be The Pro”, not “Mow Blow & Go”.

But seriously, you may be right… in that it could be time to add that component to the talk about mix… especially with the emergence of battery powered outdoor power equipment. I haven’t paid this much attention to Lawn & Garden equipment since I invested in a trio of Honda lawnmowers 20 years ago, for property maintenance, at some staggering 4 figure sum, but the mowers are still in use today.

Recently, I invested in battery powered OPE. After reviewing all the options, Makita emerged as far above and away the superior choice for my exact needs… which was to have cross compatibility between construction tool batteries and OPE batteries, and more importantly, to have the right balance of features, power, and weight with each OPE tool I was interested in switching over to cordless batteries… ditching the gas, oil, and/or plug in the wall tether.

No more dragging around my 100 foot long 10 ga power cords, because with ethanol now in all the gas supply, and with ethanol free fuel in a can costing $24 to $35 a gallon, and with my time being more valuable to me whistling Dixie than rebuilding another Walbro carburetor, I had already switched weedwacker, hedge trimmer, and chainsaw to plug in power.

But last month, I pulled the plug… before I cut the cord in the bushes while actually using the plug in the wall tools. I bought the Makita LXT chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and split shaft power head string trimmer, and could not be happier.

I ran the chainsaw for 2 hours yesterday, and consumed only one bar of a 6ah battery. There is absolutely no need for a power cord, no need for mixing ethanol free gas with oil, trying to remember which tool takes 40:1 vs 50:1. I’m so done with that. The crew laborers still use the gas / oil powered equipment, and that’s fine with me. But when I pick one up to work, it will be battery baby, all the way.

Makita had some features and characteristic in their OPE that Milwaukee and DeWalt (and of course Bosch) didn’t have. Before making the switch to Makita late last year, I had looked at the “What’s Next” tool announcements that Makita had teased, and saw a photo of this little 10″ top handle chainsaw. It had me at hello. It’s like having a Jinsu knife. It seriously slices and dices. There is no going back.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I ran the chainsaw for 2 hours yesterday, and consumed only one bar of a 6ah battery.

That’s amazing the chainsaw only dropped one bar with 2 hours of run time, and my Bosch angle grinder with fully charged 6.3ah CORE battery could not make over ten cuts of 5/8″ rebars.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

By the way, Elon Musk of Tesla said (not sure if he’s serious or not) that Tesla will be making an electric blower.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

By the way, Elon Musk of Tesla said (not sure if he’s serious or not) that Tesla will be making an electric blower.

What the heck a leaf blower from Tesla?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

because with ethanol now in all the gas supply,

You can still get gas with no ethanol in it at some gas stations.

Go here:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

At the bottom click your state or province and it will give you a list by cities. Sometimes the map part doesn’t work, but they may have it fixed.

I use Shell V-Power for my equipment.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

They do have the upper hand on battery technology and I am particular curious about the “quiet” aspect. But it could be a joke.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

They do have the upper hand on battery technology and I am particular curious about the “quiet” aspect. But it could be a joke.

Maybe they will team up with Dyson! (yes, that WAS a joke)

CB
    Spectator

I don’t follow Tesla, but it would not surprise me in the least if Elon Mosk was dead serious about developing a quiet leaf blower.

California, where Tesla is based, and in particular the well moneyed bedroom communities surrounding Silicon Valley, has an appreciable number of municipalities that have passed local ordinances outlawing leaf blowers.

Not all lawn and garden equipment. Just leaf blowers in particular. The muni codes restricting, or even outright banning the use of leaf blowers vary from city to city, but noise pollution has been repeatedly cited as the principal reason for the ban.

Elon Mosk like has several homes in several communities, and perhaps one or more of the cities he has homes in has already passed some restrictions on leaf blowers.

Every successful entrepreneur’s motto is to find a need and fill it.

CB
    Spectator

because with ethanol now in all the gas supply,

You can still get gas with no ethanol in it at some gas stations.

Go here:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

At the bottom click your state or province and it will give you a list by cities. Sometimes the map part doesn’t work, but they may have it fixed.

I use Shell V-Power for my equipment.

Thanks for the link.

I’m located near several of the largest fuel refineries in the state, as well as within an hours drive from Sears Point Raceway, but after checking your link, did not find any fuel depot within an hours drive that sold ethanol free gas. The closest station was 91 miles away. Obviously not worth the time and fuel spent on the trip to get a gallon of corn free gas for garden equipment.

CB
    Spectator

I ran the chainsaw for 2 hours yesterday, and consumed only one bar of a 6ah battery.

That’s amazing the chainsaw only dropped one bar with 2 hours of run time, and my Bosch angle grinder with fully charged 6.3ah CORE battery could not make over ten cuts of 5/8″ rebars.

That’s the beauty of battery operated chainsaws, and even plug in electric chainsaws for that matter. They are not always running. They only run during the act of actually cutting. Then they stop consuming power.

So all the time spent lowering the branch that was cut, locating the next branch to be cut, and rigging the rope to prevent that branch from falling, there is no idling. The saw is off. The beauty with batteries is that there is no wondering if it will restart again when needed.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I don’t follow Tesla, but it would not surprise me in the least if Elon Mosk was dead serious about developing a quiet leaf blower.

California, where Tesla is based, and in particular the well moneyed bedroom communities surrounding Silicon Valley, has an appreciable number of municipalities that have passed local ordinances outlawing leaf blowers.

Not all lawn and garden equipment. Just leaf blowers in particular. The muni codes restricting, or even outright banning the use of leaf blowers vary from city to city, but noise pollution has been repeatedly cited as the principal reason for the ban.

I hate them. The leaf blowers that is.
    The most noisier, annoying mofo I’ve ever heard.
    OK, I exaggerated a bit. They are making top 3 anyway.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

May be they do not have an outdoor equipment sub-forum is because Bosch lawn and garden equipment is not available for sale in NA?

I see all kinds of lawn tools by Bosch in green colors in UK and Germany.

CB
    Spectator

May be they do not have an outdoor equipment sub-forum is because Bosch lawn and garden equipment is not available for sale in NA?

I see all kinds of lawn tools by Bosch in green colors in UK and Germany.

There is even Bosch in blue (sounds like Rhapsody in Blue), denoting their professional product line, as distinct from Bosch’s green colored light duty product line.

Here’s a Bosch blue brush cutter:

And here is the GFR42 action:

Apparently there are two models:

CB
    Spectator

Bosch 36v lawn mower in blue…

Bosch 36v lawn mower in blue…

They are very nice , have you seen the power station looks pretty cool
    Those mowers look like top notch

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

They do make quiet ones…..it’s called a rake. They’ve been working well for years….lol

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I love battery operated lawn tools. Always hated getting the string trimmer and blowers started. They use such a tiny amount of gas that there is always some left at seasons end that goes bad. So nice to be able to just grab the trimmer and start trimming. Less noise, no smell, and never gets hot.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

They do make quiet ones…..it’s called a rake. They’ve been working well for years….lol

I know. I have 3 of them.
    You have to tell that to my neighbors. That rake thing is not invented yet for them.

I know. I have 3 of them.
    You have to tell that to my neighbors. That rake thing is not invented yet for them.

Haha yeah , my neighbor is good with his friggin blower especially on a beautiful Saturday afternoon , nothing like that noise and smell of exhaust /gas

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.263 seconds