dcsimg

Lava stone tile questions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’ll preface by saying this is side work for me but I’ve done a lot of stuff for this job in the past and care about it’s final results. My other job is on hold for 3 weeks, vacation time? I’m in Hawaii, my life is a vacation and I’d rather go soak in more knowledge. So I called up some of the homies.

Today was the first day back for me and we got rained out due to that hurricane Henry passing by us, but hey I’ll take a rain out over hurricane damage any day obviously https://www.smileysapp.com/gif-emoji/coffee.gif (EDIT: teach me more about successfully posting emogi’s)

So right now the pool guys are setting these lava stone tiles around the pool edges and stairs themselves to ensure their pools quality. The tile guys are doing the deck tiles. The tile guys have had tiles pop off on them so far, the pool guys haven’t. Important differences I gathered were that the pool guys use more expensive mud, wait till after grouting to seal the tiles, and only seal the top surface. The tile guys are using Versabond thinset and do a single coat of sealer on both front and back as well as all sides of the tiles before setting the tiles, and a follow up coat after grouting.

I asked questions to both parties and read the manufacturers suggestions for the sealer but I don’t know the tiles manufacturer source at this time. The sealer instructs doing 2 generous coats with a 60 minute gap between. In my mind sealing the the backs and sides creates easy fail points if moisture reaches the bonding point and due to how porous these lava rock tiles are (some have 1/4″ holes connecting both sides), moisture is 100% guaranteed and the tiles will get rain at a pace of the world record holding location for rain fall in the world.

I’ve spent the last hour searching the internet for info but found nothing really, personally I heavily lean towards the pool guys method here but I’m working with the tile guys. Any info or links I can read up on the subject will be greatly appreciated, cheers guys.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

due to that hurricane Henry passing by us,

Hector was his her name. I’m not up on lava tiles but we had large surf on the south shore today from Hector.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Yea you’re right it’s name was Hector. Trust me I suck with names.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yea you’re right it’s name was Hector. Trust me I suck with names.

We all got lucky with that storm.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.348 seconds