dcsimg

Laundry Chute

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I am thinking about installing a laundry chute in our new place. I don’t think it will be that hard. I am looking for ideas or plans to make this job easier. I don’t plan on doing this right away.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

I am thinking about installing a laundry chute in our new place. I don’t think it will be that hard. I am looking for ideas or plans to make this job easier. I don’t plan on doing this right away.

Those are pretty cool , if your laundry room is in the basement , and your chute is on the main floor , especially if you don’t have a finished basement , this should be fairly easy enough ,

I’m sure they have plenty of plans on the web , just have to find what would work best for you.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Those are pretty cool , if your laundry room is in the basement , and your chute is on the main floor , especially if you don’t have a finished basement , this should be fairly easy enough ,

I’m sure they have plenty of plans on the web , just have to find what would work best for you.

Yes I think they are pretty cool also. My grandparent house had laundry chute installed when it was built in the 60’s.
    My place has 3 levels including the basement. Our home is a backsplit. I don’t expect it to be as easy as you think. But I don’t think it should be very hard to do either.
    I really haven’t found many plans online either. This why I reached out too forum members.

Greg

Doobie

I thought about doing one years ago and abandoned the idea.

One thing I felt was better was to have the inner walls smooth and not the roughness of unfinished plywood.

Yes I think they are pretty cool also. My grandparent house had laundry chute installed when it was built in the 60’s.

My place has 3 levels including the basement. Our home is a backsplit. I don’t expect it to be as easy as you think. But I don’t think it should be very hard to do either.

I really haven’t found many plans online either. This why I reached out too forum members.

It depends on what floor you will start the chute , and where the laundry room is , typically it should be on top of one and other ,
    Where is the laundry room located , and what place were you thinking about putting the chute in ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I thought about doing one years ago and abandoned the idea.

One thing I felt was better was to have the inner walls smooth and not the roughness of unfinished plywood.

Yes I will make the inner walls smooth. I not sure if I would use plywood for this reason.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

It depends on what floor you will start the chute , and where the laundry room is , typically it should be on top of one and other ,

Where is the laundry room located , and what place were you thinking about putting the chute in ,

I am planning on putting it at the end of the hallway outside the master bedroom. This is the 3rd floor of the house. This area is above the laundry room.

Greg

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Duct work works very well for chutes. We had one at our last house that we built new. It emptied into a cabinet at the bottom. Make sure to make it deeper that the 3″ minimum if you can. Ours ended up 5 1/2″ deep, and nothing ever got hung up.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Duct work works very well for chutes. We had one at our last house that we built new. It emptied into a cabinet at the bottom. Make sure to make it deeper that the 3″ minimum if you can. Ours ended up 5 1/2″ deep, and nothing ever got hung up.

I did some more searching online today and I did see duct was used for laundry chutes.

I am not sure what you mean by deeper by then the 3″ minimum?

Greg

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Typically, the chute fits inside of a 2×4 wall, thereby limiting the depth to 3 1/2″. Not sure on how you are building yours, but making it deeper will help keep the clothes from getting hung up.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Typically, the chute fits inside of a 2×4 wall, thereby limiting the depth to 3 1/2″. Not sure on how you are building yours, but making it deeper will help keep the clothes from getting hung up.

Thanks for clearing this up. I understand what your saying now. I am planning on making it bigger 3 1/2 inches. I just need to see how I can do.

Greg

Another option is you can use melanie board , that should help with the clothes sliding , as long as you don’t have any sharp edges , same thing with ductwork , just have to watch it near corners or if you want ends ,
    I personally would make it larger than the 2×4 if possible ,

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Great toy for the kids to get to the basement in a hurry. Perhaps a big pad on the floor at the bottom…lol.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Another option is you can use melanie board , that should help with the clothes sliding , as long as you don’t have any sharp edges , same thing with ductwork , just have to watch it near corners or if you want ends ,

I personally would make it larger than the 2×4 if possible ,

I was thinking about using Melamine for laundry chute. The plan is too make bigger the 2 x 4.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Great toy for the kids to get to the basement in a hurry. Perhaps a big pad on the floor at the bottom…lol.

I would have to make a pretty big chute to fit my girls in now. I am sure the would have love something this when they were younger. LOL!!!

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

yes if it’s just for clothes or is it also for human where they typically escape from invaders from entering the chute in James Bond movies and slide all the way down and land into a container full of clothes and blankets. If so you need to make a 90 degree turn at the bottom and the objects will land into a cart where you wheel them to the washing machine.

Will it also move up? Once you are done with laundry and the clothes folded or hung, are you going to carry them back up to the rooms? Or will you put it inside the chute and a pulley system will get it to the destination floor for retrieval? I think I saw one on Addams Family. But then again, they have a white gloved butler who carries laundry up and down.

If you need to wash pillows, blankets, comforters, and other big items will you use the chute too?

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Will it also move up?

That would be more of a dumb waiter idea….and a good one it is too! Add a low speed, high torque motor and a pully system and away you go.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Will it also move up?

No!
    The plan is to get the dirty clothes to the laundry room while saving trips up and down the stairs.

Once you are done with laundry and the clothes folded or hung, are you going to carry them back up to the rooms?

Yes.

Or will you put it inside the chute and a pulley system will get it to the destination floor for retrieval?

This would be nice. I have no plans of doing this.

Greg

Doobie

Hey, don’t laugh, we used to slide down both laundry shoots in my friends house when we were 5-6 years old. It wasn’t a straight drop though. Had dog legged curves in it and as Brian previously mentioned it had that cheapo brown 3/8ths inch thick melamine flex board on its inner walls.

Could only do it when parents weren’t around in the house and in the backyard or late at nite on sleep overs when my friend’s parents were asleep or I was over and they were playing cards downstairs getting tipsy with my parents and others.

All good fun except one time when my friend’s older sister thought she’d prank us and remove the pile of laundry on the bottom of one of them and my friend’s younger brother broke his ankle.

Will it also move up?

That would be more of a dumb waiter idea….and a good one it is too! Add a low speed, high torque motor and a pully system and away you go.

LMAO , that is a running joke in our house , that’s what I call myself ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.349 seconds