dcsimg

Lathe Market

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    RyanF
    Pro

I know there are some pretty experienced woodworking guys on here.

Anybody have an idea what something like this is worth (yes, i know it’s whatever someone is willing to pay)? I know the market is very small.

Going to sell it on Craigslist for a family member and throw in the wood turning set which i dont think has ever been used. Not sure what a good starting point is.

Any ideas?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

My guess is that you would be lucky to get a couple hundred bucks for it. Looking on our local Craig’s List, they do not go for a whole lot unless they are the full cast iron type. That one looks nice and clean and well cared for. The variable speed is a nice feature also. Good luck and I hope you do better.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I think Kurt is pretty much on the money. It looks like it wasn’t even used. I always say start out a little high and you can come down if you have to.

Perhaps there is a woodturning club nearby where you might find a buyer or get a feel on pricing. I would say if you could get $250-300 for it, it would not be a bad deal.

Doobie

I have what is the older all cast iron version of that Craftsman Lathe. It’s a good starter lathe for somebody. I think Kurt had it spot on with his comments. Two to three hundred bucks. Any parts needed in the future are probably tuff to get for anybody buying it. The chisels look like a very basic beginner set.

Here’s a suggestion, go find a store that specializes in supplies for lathes. They’re few, but they are out there. They may be able to give you some guidance or any associations in your area that you may find some help with selling it.

RyanF
    Pro

Put it on for $350 and got $300. From listing to pickup was about 18 hours. In hindsight i probably couldve done better. Guess i underestimated the lathe market! But if you had told me before i posted that i was going to get $300 and have a really easy experience, i wouldve done it in a heartbeat so i cant complain.

Thanks, guys.

Put it on for $350 and got $300. From listing to pickup was about 18 hours. In hindsight i probably couldve done better. Guess i underestimated the lathe market! But if you had told me before i posted that i was going to get $300 and have a really easy experience, i wouldve done it in a heartbeat so i cant complain.

Thanks, guys.

Congrats, I too often get sellers remorse when things sell quickly, but on the other hand I do not like to hassle of selling stuff; so I think I should just be happy with what I get. That and re-invest the money into a new toy – I mean tool 🙂

Will

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Great job, there is something to be said about having it gone in a hurry. less headaches and answering calls.

Doobie

Put it on for $350 and got $300.

I think you did well on it. Congrats!

WOW – impressed that you were able to get so much for it to be honest. For a small, benchtop lathe, that is an excellent price that you got.

I’m assuming that you are in the USA and that was $300USD that you received for it???

I picked up the lathe pictured, which has a 12″ swing, and 33.5″ bed length for $265CDN. The lathe costs $599CDN brand new, so taking the exchange rate into consideration, and the size difference, which will limit what you can turn on the lathe, then you did very well.

Attachments:
    Doobie

I picked up the lathe pictured, which has a 12″ swing, and 33.5″ bed length for $265CDN. The lathe costs $599CDN brand

I think it may be like mine I bought 15 years ago at Sears, but his is a more recent version.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

$300 sounds about right. I think you did well. The Craftsman stuff from that era (looked like 2003 based on the badge) was still a pretty solid brand. Their quality has faltered a bit since then, but it’s a clean machine there. Depends on the market you’re in too. Glad you were able to get it sold.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, guys.

You did really well on that sale! Congrrats. It sure helped that it was in such good condition, too.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

WOW – impressed that you were able to get so much for it to be honest. For a small, benchtop lathe, that is an excellent price that you got.

I’m assuming that you are in the USA and that was $300USD that you received for it???

I picked up the lathe pictured, which has a 12″ swing, and 33.5″ bed length for $265CDN. The lathe costs $599CDN brand new, so taking the exchange rate into consideration, and the size difference, which will limit what you can turn on the lathe, then you did very well.

I was just thinking the same, the smaller bench top ones don’t sell as well in our area. I know the larger ones sell quick as I had bought one and before I could put it together another person contacted the original guy asking to buy it and the price was right so off it went.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I think you did well. Maybe you could have got more or maybe the buyer needed it and cheaper than new. I think it worked out for both of you.

RyanF
    Pro

Thanks everyone.

@geordie99
    @r-ice

It’s a benchtop version, but i wouldnt call it small. It’s 38″. I think a lot of the entry benchtop ones are in the 16″ range. It actually weighs more than the one in this picture.

It was kind of cool to sell it if for no other reason than i learned a thing or two about lathes. Seems like it’d be fun to tinker around on sometimes. Maybe i can find a good used one on Craigslist someday.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Congrats on the sale.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Lathe Market’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.214 seconds