dcsimg

large ga finish nailers

This topic contains 65 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Jpg-woodworking 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Its really surprising to see how many people dont use 15 gauge for most things. I just thought that it was the norm for putting up a lot of interior stuff.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

15ga I use mostly to set prehung doors, I also prefer it for thicker outdoor trim, brick mold hardie etc

16ga for any full 3/4 trim, casework, flooring, stairs

18ga for basic trim and casing, closet shelving or anywhere i can get away with it due to the smaller hole

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i have used 15 gauge in the past for hanging doors, ive considered doing so again but the cost differential between 16 and 15 gauge nails is pretty big, i glue most of my trim anyway so holding power isnt a huge deal

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Clev08
    Pro

i have used 15 gauge in the past for hanging doors, ive considered doing so again but the cost differential between 16 and 15 gauge nails is pretty big, i glue most of my trim anyway so holding power isnt a huge deal

I use the smaller nailer for casing corners and I use a shorter nail, it just needs to hold till the glue dries. But for doors and brickmold I always use a 15. The toughest thing for me is picking out witch two M18 Fuel nailers to pick because I’m not buying three of them.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

lol the new fuel guns look pretty sweet, i did some reviews for milwaukee about 3 years ago might see if theyll send me the 16 gauge to review for the canadian group

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Its really surprising to see how many people dont use 15 gauge for most things. I just thought that it was the norm for putting up a lot of interior stuff.

I definitely prefer to use my 15ga when its practical. I feel like the holding power of my 18 gauge is about 10% of what the 15 has.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

I think i will invest an a 15 ga I’m thinking of getting a referbed one from big sky tool.cm i need a new 18 ga as well

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@clev08 @jkirk I definitely plan on picking up the 15 and 18 gauge fuel nail guns unless they just completely dont live up to the hype. I would love to ditch the compressor for trim.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@clev08 @jkirk I definitely plan on picking up the 15 and 18 gauge fuel nail guns unless they just completely dont live up to the hype. I would love to ditch the compressor for trim.

If ditching the compressor is your goal, have you considered any of the other options? Senco has battery gun, or even Paslode?

Jon P.
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have used sencos gun and it’s not a replacement for air and I like pasalodes but I don’t like buying cartridges all the time plus the last time I checked I don’t think pasalode makes a 15gauge gun which is a must. @jponto07

Ian@RHWoodworking
    Pro
    Lakeville, MN

How do you get the base to follow a wall tightly with an 18 gauge. Some times I’ll only use 18 if it is a small pice that I have glued. But most of the time anything into sheet rock is 15ga. And on square 3/4 headers all 15ga. I know the first fuel I’m getting is 18 then 15. I don’t know what I’d need the 16 for other than my tool addiction. It’s not strong enough for most stuff and too big of a hole for nailing into jamb material.

Trim carpenter at R.H. Woodworking out of Lakeville,MN. Specializing in Finnish carpentry and cabinet installation.

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

How do you get the base to follow a wall tightly with an 18 gauge. Some times I’ll only use 18 if it is a small pice that I have glued. But most of the time anything into sheet rock is 15ga. And on square 3/4 headers all 15ga. I know the first fuel I’m getting is 18 then 15. I don’t know what I’d need the 16 for other than my tool addiction. It’s not strong enough for most stuff and too big of a hole for nailing into jamb material.

an 18a with 2″ nails in to a stud will could 1/2″ thick bace tight to the wall. or at lest it has for me

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

an 18a with 2″ nails in to a stud will could 1/2″ thick bace tight to the wall. or at lest it has for me

I use 18ga. for base all the time too, it has never fallen off before the caulk went on.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If ditching the compressor is your goal, have you considered any of the other options? Senco has battery gun, or even Paslode?

i’ve been trying to do some research in this area. However i find some of the cordless guns are a bit on the heavier side, i guess that is the trade off

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I use 18ga. for base all the time too, it has never fallen off before the caulk went on.

I have not had a problem with the 18ga holding as long as you hit the studs.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

For me to go cordless it wouldn’t be for production when I’m trimming full out day after day. Just for at the end of jobs when there’s missing bits and pieces here and there… I hate having to round up a compressor and run hoses for 5 to 15 pcs of trim or for exterior trim work like azec

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

For me to go cordless it wouldn’t be for production when I’m trimming full out day after day. Just for at the end of jobs when there’s missing bits and pieces here and there… I hate having to round up a compressor and run hoses for 5 to 15 pcs of trim or for exterior trim work like azec

would you not think the cordless could handle the day in and day out trim jobs? or is it slow, when i do see the ryobi and ridgid ones they seem to have half a sec lag between nails.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I only use 16 gauge for trim , 18 gauge is too thin for me .

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

would you not think the cordless could handle the day in and day out trim jobs? or is it slow, when i do see the ryobi and ridgid ones they seem to have half a sec lag between nails.

Suppposedly the new m18 guns have no lag in them and I think they said on a slim pack 2ah it will drive like 1000 nails. So we will see, they will say lots of things to sell products. We will have to wait another month.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m my experience, the bead of caulking that you would run at the top edge of paint grade base does more holding than the nails. That’s not to say that they nails arent’t doing anything, but that the caulking is really going the extra mile to keep the base tight to the wall.

Hitting the studs with an 18ga is generally enough. If you are having issues with the trim not conforming to the wall, perhaps the issue goes back to poor framing? Walls that are not straight and flat will be more difficult to install trim on.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.537 seconds