dcsimg

large ga finish nailers

This topic contains 65 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Jpg-woodworking 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • Author

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

for some reason recently at work it seems that we have been only using 2″ 18 ga nails for all of are trim work – bace board and casing and it works well. dose any one els use 18ga for this? also what would you use a 15ga for I’m thinking go getting one but am un shure what it would get used. Thanks!

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have used 18GA on trim and baseboard. I have a 16GA but have only used that on the starting row and ending row of 3/4 hardwood flooring.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I had no 18ga gun at the time when I installed baseboards and trim in my house so I did all that with the FNS250-16 (16ga finish nailer) and 2″ nails.
    My guess is for the 15ga nailer…its an angled one correct? for jobs / areas which you can’t reach with a normal nailer…then the angled 15ga comes handy.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

My boss just bought us a 15 gauge angle nailer. I needed it for brick mold. It worked great. Leaves a little bigger nail hole .
    I needed the 2 1/2 inch nails. I like it so much I may go buy my own!

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

We always use a combo of 15 and 18. Never use 16. There is quite a big difference from 16 to 15. The 15 hold so much better.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I always use a 15 for attaching to the wall. I love my Bostitch smart point angled finish gun, much improved from the past. I use a brad gun with 1″ or 1 1/4″ brads for small ends wood to wood connections like casing to jambs or miter returns.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have an old Senco SNI 15 ga that I use on occasion. Easier to use than a big framing nailer and better holding power than 18 ga.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

My boss just bought us a 15 gauge angle nailer. I needed it for brick mold. It worked great. Leaves a little bigger nail hole .
    I needed the 2 1/2 inch nails. I like it so much I may go buy my own!

I like my Hitachi 15 gauge angled gun. I use it a lot for door installs and cabinet work.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I use 18 gauge for baseboards, it was what was suggested to me at the time and what @58chev lent me at the time heh. works great.

Clev08
    Pro

We use 15 and 18 gauge guns. Larger nails for door installs and outside of casing, smaller nails on the inside that go into the window jamb

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I use 18 gauge for baseboards, it was what was suggested to me at the time and what @58chev lent me at the time heh. works great.

Did you mean to say 15 gauge? 18 seems small for baseboard to me.

I have a 15 gauge Hitachi, but seem to use a mix of 18 and 16 more on regular trim. I do like to use the 15 on things like interior doors, and tight corners.

Doobie
    Pro

I have all the sizes of nailers including a 23g pinner. While I tend to do most trim with my 18G Paslode, I do use other ones depending on what it is I’m doing also. It’s all a judgement call as I go along.

I think a better way to look at it is . What is you trim material thickness as well as its width to find your size gauge .

Always willing to learn .

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I think a better way to look at it is . What is you trim material thickness as well as its width to find your size gauge .

Yes, that’s what I do, and this also determines the length of nails also.

I have a 18 and 16 no 15 gauge 🙁

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

We use 15 and 18 gauge guns. Larger nails for door installs and outside of casing, smaller nails on the inside that go into the window jamb

Best way to do it imo. Especially when installing wide and thick casing

Did you mean to say 15 gauge? 18 seems small for baseboard to me.

I have a 15 gauge Hitachi, but seem to use a mix of 18 and 16 more on regular trim. I do like to use the 15 on things like interior doors, and tight corners.

A lot of interior doors I do I will tack them in place with the 15gauge then set it with some hand drive 10d or 12d finish nails. It holds the door in place great. I only do this when setting something like a solid oak door or something

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Yes, that’s what I do, and this also determines the length of nails also.

I have a 18 and 16 no 15 gauge :(

Exactly. You aren’t going to shoot a 15 through a 1/4″ piece of trim.

I use my 15ga Senco for all kinds of things. Base, casing (thick parts), crown, doors…Everything exterior. The holding power is awesome and mine leaves a hole exactly the size if the nail head.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have a Bostitch 15ga smart point that I use for interior doors and trimming.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have both Bostich and Hitachi 15GA guns. we use them mainly for starting rows of hardwood flooring and the finishing rows and hanging doors. WE hang the door with the 15 GA then install the long screws into the hinges. Rarely do we trim with 15 GA. That is All 18GA and a few 23 GA pins. We have also used the 15GA for some exterior trim boards.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i use 18 gauge for casings, 1/4 round and crown molding or other small applied moldings, i use 16 gauge for baseboard, cleats for built ins, hanging doors and setting window ledges and jamb extensions

i do use 15 gauge but its kept for exterior use as the nails are stronger at resisting seasonal movement of wood trims

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

hang the door with the 15 GA then install the long screws into the hinges.

I hang doors the same way. I mostly use 18 and 16 gauge (18 most often) for trim – along with pins. The 15 gauge is saved for exterior stuff and the very occasional beefy trim. The last interior trim I used the 15 gauge on was 8″ Red Oak crown…the stuff weighed a ton so I went with the bigger nails and PL to make sure it stayed in place.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.445 seconds