dcsimg

Ladder Safety

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Spam!

I read somewhere once that something like 65% of falls greater than 15′ result in death. I remember when the largest builder in my hometown fell when getting onto the ladder from the flat roof of the local car dealership, not even 15 feet, and died.

It’s no womder the manufacturers have safety stickers plastered all over them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Spam!

I read somewhere once that something like 65% of falls greater than 15′ result in death. I remember when the largest builder in my hometown fell when getting onto the ladder from the flat roof of the local car dealership, not even 15 feet, and died.

It’s no womder the manufacturers have safety stickers plastered all over them.

Yeah with statistics like that makes you rethink ladder safety.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s crazy, when I stop and think about just the guys that I know, or know of, that have been seriously hurt. I also knew a young painter that was electrocuted fireman-carrying an aluminum and hit primary wires. His poor mother was the nurse that had to admit him, not knowing it was her son until he arrived, already gone.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve been told in ladder classes that most job site accidents happen off of ladders.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve been told in ladder classes that most job site accidents happen off of ladders.

I believe it. I’ve had a few close calls myself, generally related to a ladder slipping or rocking around unexpectedly.

Just a couple of months ago, I had an extension ladder slide as I stepped off of the roof onto it. Thankfully, I have an old towel wrapped on the top of each of the rails….which stuck out far enough to catch the gutter on the way down. If not for that, I would have fallen about 12 feet and potentially further as there was a sharp hill about 5 feet back from where the ladder was sitting.

Needless to say, I took a 15 minute breather after that little mishap…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

I’m real fussy when it comes to ladder safety. I fell off one roof high when I was younger and almost died. Has kept me alert about ladder use ever since.

I bought some scaffolding a few years ago to replace working off a ladder where possible. Money well spent so far.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I bought some scaffolding a few years ago to replace working off a ladder where possible. Money well spent so far.

Scaffolding sure makes the work go faster once you get it set up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I always use a bungee cord to attach my ladder to the gutter so it cannot slide. On steeper roofs I will often attach my ladder stand-off so the stand off rests on the roof instead of the ladder leaning on the gutter. I also use ladder extensions – makes stepping off and on a ladder from a roof much safer. You step through the extensions onto the ladder instead of stepping around the side. Here is a link to the ones I have…https://www.homedepot.com/p/Guardian-Fall-Protection-Safe-T-Ladder-Extension-System-10800/203191566?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-Pro-PLA%7c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzfrTBRC_ARIsAJ5ps0s3GoXael37TYHe6yaPqMcgREZwCDywj_lsSywsaIVqaftBPzuXP5waAjTkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIHnyfHSm9kCFRVBDAod5hULXg

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I believe it. I’ve had a few close calls myself, generally related to a ladder slipping or rocking around unexpectedly.

Just a couple of months ago, I had an extension ladder slide as I stepped off of the roof onto it. Thankfully, I have an old towel wrapped on the top of each of the rails….which stuck out far enough to catch the gutter on the way down. If not for that, I would have fallen about 12 feet and potentially further as there was a sharp hill about 5 feet back from where the ladder was sitting.

Needless to say, I took a 15 minute breather after that little mishap…

We out here get a lot of working time on military bases. The feds love safety. We go through a lot of ladder classes. It may seem silly but ladder safety is all funn&games till you’re on your back looking at the sky and hoping you’re okay.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

We get really precautious with ladders and I read the safety warnings with new guys. We rent aerial equipment when possible but if we have to use extension ladders we always anchor the feet and shim to plumb the ladder for left and right. We also temporarily fasten the top of extension ladders when we can. Standoff’s are great. I’ve see to many people nearly kick out the feet by putting too much pressure on the 3’ above an eave so we also only let a guy go up or down if there’s a spotter footing or standing on the bottom rung.

j

Doobie

Scaffolding sure makes the work go faster once you get it set up.

They sure do. Saves your feet big time.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What about ladder walking?

Do you do it?? Yea or nei???

Doobie

I always use a bungee cord to attach my ladder to the gutter so it cannot slide. On steeper roofs I will often attach my ladder stand-off so the stand off rests on the roof instead of the ladder leaning on the gutter. I also use ladder extensions – makes stepping off and on a ladder from a roof much safer. You step through the extensions onto the ladder instead of stepping around the side. Here is a link to the ones I have…https://www.homedepot.com/p/Guardian-Fall-Protection-Safe-T-Ladder-Extension-System-10800/203191566?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-Pro-PLA%7c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzfrTBRC_ARIsAJ5ps0s3GoXael37TYHe6yaPqMcgREZwCDywj_lsSywsaIVqaftBPzuXP5waAjTkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIHnyfHSm9kCFRVBDAod5hULXg

I like that. It’s pricey up here though at $270. I might try to build an add-on like that though. I have an idea using metal conduit I might try.

Doobie

I gotta try that.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have a stabilizer but I still don’t have a leveler.
    Got to look for one instead of using 2X and shims.

Do you do it?? Yea or nei???

Grew up in the boonies on a small island with no electricity other than a few solar panels with limited energy, when I was young I spent so much time mastering different feats of balance on moving objects whether rolling, bouncing, swinging, waving, or a combination of the lot. Pretty sure I could pull this off no problem, at the same time my mind is already racing for ideas on how to string wire through those joist’s in a smarter way. Idea’s are popping up but I keep reverting back to what I’m used to as a better option > 2 ladders with a plank between them(or scaffolding). Nevertheless the seed is planted now and I’m gonna be randomly trying to think of a better more versatile way. But Yei, I’d ladder walk.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

But Yei, I’d ladder walk.

I do it all the time

I do it all the time

I’ve been resisting to ask this one but, how do you get those emoji’s?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I do it all the time

I’ve been resisting to ask this one but, how do you get those emoji’s?

It’s hard to do on a phone but I use a PC and here’s the thread on it..
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/the-official-emotions-thread/

It’s hard to do on a phone but I use a PC and here’s the thread on it..
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/the-official-emotions-thread/

Nice, funny to see that your basically the OG of them here. On topic of there being a thread for that already, what’s the best way to “search” function the forums? All I know is I think I’m doing it wrong.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.793 seconds