dcsimg

Ladder Safety

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Dan I was building a playhouse for my granddaughters .It is 10’x 12′.
    It has 12 hips , 12 valleys and 13 windows .I built the shed in my house and then put it together once it was outside .

woodman_412

Wow, that’s quite the playhouse John! It looks great! I better not let my daughter see the pics…she might want one too when she gets older 🙂

Dan

danpattison.com

Sooo cool John!

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Thanks guys .During the summer the kids go out there and watch tv and it has a pull out bed for them to sleep on weekends . During the winter I use it to store my bbq and a few other things .

Remove from service any ladder that is unsafe. Whenever possible, only use a ladder with someone nearby (I’ve been stranded on the roof before, so I know), make sure there is proper footing for you and the ladder, don’t carry anything unmanageable up or down the ladder, never use the top 2 or 3 rungs, depending on the type of ladder, watch for power lines.

You ever see guys on a tall step ladder walk it across the floor? Most notably electricians who are too lazy to get down and move the ladder.

One of my first construction memories is climbing a 6′ step ladder with one foot in the sand. Guess where I landed?

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

4 years ago i was working off of a imitation little giant ladder.. canadian tire cheap version. the thing collapsed on me. i landed sideways across it. it hte process i snapped my speed square in two and bruised 3 ribs.. had a bruise the shape of my square on my torso for 2 weeks

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

I’ve never seen someone walk a ladder across the floor. How do you go about doing that?(not that I’m going to try it)

That would hurt Jeff. Was it a plastic speed square or metal?

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

aluminum. as for the ladder walk, its kinda awkward to do. i do it occasionally its sort of a rocking action to do it..really hard on the ladder though.. if i do it. its only on a concrete floor or the rough floors

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Oh yea… the step ladder shuffle 🙂 Have to rock the ladder to get one foot off then twist and shift your weight to get it to plant in a different place, and repeat to get the other leg off…. and just keep repeating… and I’m sure it’s a bit hard on the ladder

woodman_412

Sounds like a cool trick but not something that’s going to win the safety award of the year for sure. I enjoy the fact that most of my work doesn’t involve ladders. I’m not afraid of heights but it’s always nice to be standing on solid ground given the option.

Dan

danpattison.com

msw1978
    Pro
    Vienna, MO

For added safety there are two items I like to use:
    Ladder Levelers
    Ladder Stabilizer

I use these when possible as it adds that added comfort.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

For added safety there are two items I like to use:<br>
    Ladder Levelers<br>
    Ladder Stabilizer

I use these when possible as it adds that added comfort.

The ladder levelers are a must, every ladder I have has them. Much easier than trying to shim up a ladder leg with jobsite scrap.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The ladder levelers are a must, every ladder I have has them. Much easier than trying to shim up a ladder leg with jobsite scrap.

I agree the levelers are a must!

Hmmm… I think a lot of you guys would freak out to see how I use ladders, walking the ladders us very common, sometimes I’ll hook joists with my arms and grab the ladder with my feet and swing 6′ and set the ladder back down while dangling from the deck joists, setting up uneven is a regular occurrence but I always do it safely… I’ve had the LG style ladders on such uneven terrain that 1 side is fully extended and 1 side is fully collapsed and I still had to have someone hold it.

My worst ladder accident was an extension ladder bottom coming out on me while framing, slid down a 18′ tall wall till it hit a window sill 2′ off the floor.

But with all that being said, I often tell my employees “don’t ever do what I do on a ladder”

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Leg levelers are a definite must. I hate working on ladders, and any little thing that gives me a little more comfort is good in my book.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

walking the ladders us very common

Isn’t ladder walking the only way to do it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Spam!

I read somewhere once that something like 65% of falls greater than 15′ result in death. I remember when the largest builder in my hometown fell when getting onto the ladder from the flat roof of the local car dealership, not even 15 feet, and died.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@ChadM @jponto07 Spam alert…..

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@chadm @jponto07 Spam alert…..

Got it! Thanks!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.337 seconds