dcsimg

Ladder Safety

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author

What are your top 3 ladder safety tips? What do you always teach or show the new guy?

Here’s mine:

1. A rigid ladder should be leaned against a vertical wall or other structure at an angle of about fifteen degrees.

2. The base of a long ladder should be anchored

3. When using an extension ladder against the eave of a home there should be a minimum of 3 rungs over the top of the roof.

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

all good tips.. the angle of the ladder is considered more of a 4:1 ratio though here

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

One that I learned the hard way from experience is not to put the base of the ladder on ice. When I was a kid I was helping my dad when our garage was being built and he had set up the ladder at the back of it to get in and out of the second story. He sent me down to get something and when I started down the bottom of the ladder came out and down I went with the ladder. Didn’t break anything but I couldn’t walk on my leg for about a week. We didn’t have any problems going up the ladder when it was on ice but coming down was a different story.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ladder saftey is a big deal. my friend who did teh coffer ceiling work i posted in another thread had a ladder kick out on him 3 1/2 years ago.. he fell 18 ft and landed sideways on it.. breaking both his 7th vertabrae and his tailbone.. collopsing one lung in teh process. he was off work for 15 months, he cant do any heavy lifting.. cold weather gives him quite a bit of grief and so do wet days. since that happend im more conscious of ladder safety

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

mark
    Pro
    Jackson, TN

One of my biggest concerns, is that before climbing an opened step ladder, they need to make sure all 4 feet are on the ground.

Also, never leave an extension ladder unattended and extended on a blustery day.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I find that using the proper size ladder for different jobs help prevent accidents .I have about 7 different types of ladders and if I have to get up over 30 ft I have scaffolding that I use .I feel much safer on a platform when you get up that high .

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Good tips ! I only had one close call with a ladder. An older wooden extension ladder, I was only about 8 ft up when a rung broke ! I didn’t fall, but I took that ladder down and I sawed it into kindling !
    I have another tip, use shims/blocking to make sure the ladder is perpendicular. If not the ladder will tend to walk to the downhill side the higher you climb.

woodman_412

Shims and blocks are a great one Charles! Sometimes it’s tempting to just go up the ladder when it’s not quite perfectly level or stable but it’s always worth the time to shim it up. I did that a lot when I built my shop, the ground was pretty uneven so I had blocks of wood that I kept around the site just for that purpose.

Dan

danpattison.com

All good tips. Make sure all rivets and rungs are in
    place. Make it is not broken. Inspect before leech use.
    Use the right ladder for the job you are trying to
    Complete.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I see John mention working up high. Does height “bother” anyone else ? Never bothered me… I changed this sheave/axle when I was a Steelworker. No harness or safety line, just scooted myself out there and got the job done. Young, dumb and fearless ! I don’t think I would do that today

Attachments:
    cranbrook2
    Pro

I am good for 30 – 40 ft after that my legs get a little wobbly :-)I don,t mind falling it is hitting the ground that I hate 🙂

woodman_412

I don’t mind heights but I don’t love them either. I don’t think you would find me where you pointed to in the picture Charles…not really my cup of tea! Like you said John, it’s the sudden stop at the bottom that is the concerning part.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Since I work alone most of the time, I bought this ladder about 4 years ago, Its a great ladder for me. Aluminum makes it easy to transport by myself and the adjustable legs work great.
    http://us.wernerco.com/view/Products/Climbing-Equipment/Extension-Ladders/D1800-2EQ/D1828-2EQ

cranbrook2
    Pro

Although I am not crazy about heights I love buying ladders for some reason . The way I look at it is if you need to get a job done that is high up half the battle is getting up there .I always wait until they are on sale too .
    This is the ladder I use the most .It can go into 11 different positions .It folds up to 4 ft and extends to 16 ft . It is great if you don,t have a truck to haul it .

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

LOL @ John… yup it’s that sudden stop that hurts

I do alot of house exterior house painting and I always make sure my ladders tied off before I start working if possible.

woodman_412

John, those are great ladders, they are so versatile. What are you building in the pic that you posted?

I have one of these ladders and I find it works very well for just about everything I do.

http://www.vulcanladderusa.com/17-Multi-Task-Ladder_ES-17T11G1.html

Dan

danpattison.com

oh Charles… I would’ve peed my pants at that height with nothing keeping me tied down. Man, bravo. I get 10′ up and I start to cry for mommy.

Do you guys ever have somebody holding the ladder for you? Sometimes I ask my lovely bride to, rather than making it level

John S

woodman_412

I’ve gotten my wife to hold the ladder lots of times for me too when I’m working around home. Usually if I’m working somewhere else there isn’t anybody to hold it for me so I take extra steps to make sure that it’s secure.

Dan

danpattison.com

Great tips guys – sometimes we get complacent out there. Let’s continue to be safe and sahare these tip

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.327 seconds