dcsimg

Kreg, Domino or both?

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Have never really used dowels, so I can’t comment on that.

The Domino in my opinion is a gamechanger when it comes to joinery.

I’ve just some really neat things done with the Mafell. It can do a 32mm system, and indexes of it’s previous hole etc. Like the old DF500.

As for the Domino being a game changer, I absolutely agree. It allows me to do things in my shop that I would have never attempted or done so quickly.

seems like it is approximately the same price. It’ll be cheaper in the long run for dowels though.

I am thinking I might make a jig of sorts for on top of my MFB. Maybe using these:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Would something like these be further help in keeping things at a right angle or not really?

http://www.amazon.com/JEVONS-TOOL-COMPANY-3D-Squares/dp/B0036B0WNK

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

seems like it is approximately the same price. It’ll be cheaper in the long run for dowels though.

That was my thinking as well. It is REALLY surprising how fast the domino tenons add up. I bought a bunch of them on the last discount from Festool and I should have bought twice as many.

the dowels are cheap and easy to find. And the indexing would be great for cabinet boxes and top glue ups that is generally over kill for the 500. And dowels are pretty darn strong too.

Would something like these be further help in keeping things at a right angle or not really?

I don’t really have an issue with keeping the pieces at right angle, it’s more trying to hang on to everything at once o0ver the edge of the bench. The weight of the clamp lifts the pieces, the vertical piece isn’t supported by anything etc.

I think a simple T jig with some of those bessey toggle clamps will work.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

since you haven’t bought one yet look hard at the Mafell DD40P Duo-dowel as well.

IF I was to to do it again I would go Mafell DD40P and the Festool 700.

I think that gives you the best option and with the Senaca adapter for the 700 it makes it very versatile.

I just checked out the DD40P it’s a nice joiner . The push pins that sit next to the bits really make it fast and efficient . Watched the whole video that was on YouTube.

Always willing to learn .

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That Mafell dual dowler is a sweet looking setup (just googled it). I really like it. Thanks for bringing into the game.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That Mafell dual dowler is a sweet looking setup (just googled it). I really like it. Thanks for bringing into the game.

It does look slick. Triton makes a dual dowler also.

http://www.tritontools.com/en-AU/Model/TDJ600

I have a Triton router mounted in my router table and I’ve been very happy with it. I would expect the same quality from the dowel machine.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

<P>That Mafell dual dowler is a sweet looking setup (just googled it). I really like it. Thanks for bringing into the game.</P>

<P>It does look slick. Triton makes a dual dowler also. </P>
    <P>http://www.tritontools.com/en-AU/Model/TDJ600</P>
    <P>I have a Triton router mounted in my router table and I’ve been very happy with it. I would expect the same quality from the dowel machine. </P>

I didnt know Triton made a doweler. I can tell ya that Mafell looks sweet but it makes my DF500 look like a play toy for cost!

I have a Triton router mounted in my router table and I’ve been very happy with it. I would expect the same quality from the dowel machine.

I am really disappointed by the quality of my Triton jawhorse, but I got the cheaper end model on super clearance. It has still made me more hesitant about Triton as a brand though (especially due to their lack of customer service).

Though that dual doweler looks like a nice alternative.

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I am really disappointed by the quality of my Triton jawhorse, but I got the cheaper end model on super clearance. It has still made me more hesitant about Triton as a brand though (especially due to their lack of customer service).

There track saw was also rated in some reviews as a lower end tool compaired to the others if I recall correctly. So you haven’t gotten any customer service for your horse yet huh?

redwood
    Pro

There track saw was also rated in some reviews as a lower end tool compaired to the others if I recall correctly. So you haven’t gotten any customer service for your horse yet huh?

Adam, @asevereid bought the Triton Track saw a while back, but he has been silent on it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Jon P.
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@supimeister

Do you mean a Rockwell Jawhorse? Or does Triton also use that name?

Jon P.
    Instagram

Doobie

My impression with Triton is that when they came to NA they still had made in Oz stuff, but they went offshore and it went downhill since.

Sorry, it is not a true jawhorse, but it is a triton “jawhorse” I think my model is called the SJA200 super jaws.

It is hardly super.

John S

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sorry, it is not a true jawhorse, but it is a triton “jawhorse” I think my model is called the SJA200 super jaws.

It is hardly super.

I just looked it up…sure does resemble the Jawhorse. Too bad it isn’t any good…

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.542 seconds