dcsimg

Knot's on the job thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I’m beginning to learn a few knots like the bowline, half hitch, and crows nest thinking they will be very valuable in certain situations. What knots have come in handy for you in your career and in what ways?

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Trucker’s hitch is a must; clove hitch, sheet bend are useful as well.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I use a bowline the most, occasionally a half hitch and a timber hitch. I don’t know many, something I ought to look into. Ratchet straps are less complicated.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

I was in Scouts as a kid and don’t know my knots well at all. Flunked that badge I suppose. I really should learn a few more than I already use.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

In my fire training there were four knots we needed to learn – bowline, clove hitch, half hitch and figure eight (plus figure 8 on a bite). Figure 8 is a super strong knot, and real easy to learn. Good for any kind of tool lifting because it won’t come undone. Also it’s the standard for safety harnesses – in rock climbing at least, and I’m assuming on job sites as well.

Here’s a great How-to by REI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+tie+a+figure+8+knot&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS782US782&oq=how+to+tie+a+figure&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.6047j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

Charlie

Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

This one seems even simpler, and possibly the “strongest” knot…I thought that was the figure 8, but this is what the internet said, lol. Although, I guess it depends on what you’re using the knot for too.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/

And here’s another site too – lots of cool how-to videos and the last knot is something I’ve wanted to know forever! I always tie things down and that last step when you have everything tightened but then need to tighten the knot always makes the whole thing go slack again. Thanks for bringing this up, I’m learning a bunch I wanted to know anyway just by doing a little research, lol.

https://gizmodo.com/how-to-tie-the-only-five-knots-youll-ever-need-1696628878

Charlie

Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Bowline and reef knot are most common for what I do. I used to tie my boots with a reef knot, never had to tie them again through the day. Now I wear boots with no laces.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m beginning to learn a few knots like the bowline, half hitch, and crows nest thinking they will be very valuable in certain situations. What knots have come in handy for you in your career and in what ways?

These are all knots I learned as a kid and being an avid sailor I had to know a lot of knots for the rigging.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

These are all knots I learned as a kid and being an avid sailor I had to know a lot of knots for the rigging.

What’s your point DWB? Ok so as a kid you learned the knots I mentioned, do you use any at work? You had to learn a lot of knots for sailing, why not mention a few?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use the square knot and bowline all the time on the job. Easy knots that really hold well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Kind of a lost art now with plastic rope that you just hold in a flame to keep it from unwinding but I learned to splice rope as a kid. Back splice to secure the end of a rope and eye splice to create a loop in the end. Very simple to do once you have the hang of it and very useful when dealing with natural fibres. You can splice plastic, too, but it’s not as easy to work with. The end result is a really neat, clean way to manage ropes and the more you use spliced ropes, the tighter the splices become.

@dirtywhiteboy I’m sure you learned a couple of basic splices when you were sailing.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Kind of a lost art now with plastic rope that you just hold in a flame to keep it from unwinding but I learned to splice rope as a kid. Back splice to secure the end of a rope and eye splice to create a loop in the end. Very simple to do once you have the hang of it and very useful when dealing with natural fibres. You can splice plastic, too, but it’s not as easy to work with. The end result is a really neat, clean way to manage ropes and the more you use spliced ropes, the tighter the splices become.

@dirtywhiteboy I’m sure you learned a couple of basic splices when you were sailing.

I worked in the warehouse for a roofing company a few years in college and they had me braiding loops into the ends of some of their wire cables. I had forgotten about that – but that was a fun and useful skill to have. Just unbraid into two sections, make a loop out of them and then rebraid along the loops and pinch off the ends with cable ties. Quick, easy, and really nice to have.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What’s your point DWB? Ok so as a kid you learned the knots I mentioned, do you use any at work? You had to learn a lot of knots for sailing, why not mention a few?

My point is simple,,”These are all knots I learned as a kid and being an avid sailor I had to know a lot of knots for the rigging.”
    No I don’t use many knots at work with ratchet straps and travelers I just don’t use a lot of rope at work.
    I guess my favorite knot is one my granny taught me. It is called the granny knot and it my be my most used knot.

Oh edit,,, then there are all the fishing knots. I can’t even remember what they are called but i know a bunch on them.

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Here is the Essential Craftsman going over the basic knots.

Dirty

Here is the Essential Craftsman going over the basic knots.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/mbMEG7OVfpg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ width=”770″ height=”433″></iframe></figure>

I actually watched that video this morning already, made me think of this thread and @Smallerstick mentioning the truckers hitch. Essential Craftsmen didn’t seem to like the truckers hitch as much as other knots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.605 seconds