dcsimg

Knockdown Cutting Table

Viewing 20 posts - 601 through 620 (of 645 total)
  • Author

looks great!

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Found this thread following links from other threads, can’t remember where I started!
    A question for @overanalyze or anyone else who has built the design: do you think it would weaken the structure too much if the depth of the members was reduced by about 25%? I don’t need tremendous carrying capacity, more interested in light weight. Thanks.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

The table when cut really isn’t heavy at all. Because of the differnt sizes (Legs x 2, centers x 3, and sides x 2) it’s easy to grab a mix of any two of those and make two trips. Then if you just want a small table, you can always just make a small one that has a 4×4 footprint. Basicly just the legs and two of the centers.

So back to the question you asked @whitehill, what are you refering to as the members? The legs? Or reducing the overall width and height of every part by 25%? I don’t think it would really hinder much, but that is just my amature opinion.

sergey061478
    Blocked

This is awesome table! Does anyone have plans for it? I would love to see what it takes to make one. Thinking about building something like this myself. Please share the plans if yo have them.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

This is awesome table! Does anyone have plans for it? I would love to see what it takes to make one. Thinking about building something like this myself. Please share the plans if yo have them.

There are many people here with a copy of the plans.

I know this thread is 31 pages long, so I will help to keep you from reading them all. Send a PM to @overanylize and he will proivde you with the information on the plans. There is only a small charge for them and the work that OA put into them is well worth it.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

@svensshutters, I meant the depth of the pieces in the central part of the table, i.e., where the half-lap joints connect the pieces together.

Hi guys! Thanks for helping out @svensshutters! Like Sven said the table is not heavy at all. The individual components are not heavy at all, but it will hold plenty of weight.

If you want to shrink the dimensions you could probably do so without a great compromise of strength but it won’t save any material and it won’t save any negligible weight.

PM me and I can tell you how to get a set of plans.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Thanks to Sven and you, OA, for the replies. Tying to decide what to build for a cutting/assembly table, and will order plans from you if i decide to go this route. Very nice of you to share your design though your posts and plan availability 🙂

Thank you for reading the topic @whitehill! Obviously I am slightly biased, but it really is a versatile setup. We probably set ours up for a large workbench just as much as using it for the cutting table purpose. When we want the shop space back it gets taken apart and stored on a wall.

Andrew

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I still use mine all the time, not only for cutting, but also for assembly. I have a couple of scrap particle board pieces that I throw on it for a top, and it breaks down nicely for storage when not in use. It really is verstitile.

sergey061478
    Blocked

Thanks! I will kep that in mind.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Well I finally found the fault with OA Knockdown cutting table. Storage for the long rails. Well not storage exactly. The cutouts down the center work great for that. It’s temp storage while you go get you next sheet to cut down. I was doing lots of wort sheetign the garage and found it to be a PITA to find a spot for the 3200mm rail without taking it apart.

I figure a simple modification to the design will work nicely. I didnt get time to do this on this project but when I go to take down the table, I will be doing this upgrade.

A simple router slot on all the legs on both sides just like this?? What do you think? Should provide enough support and will easily hold the rail.

Untitled by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Untitled by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man that’s a long rail!!! It looks to be a pain in the butt to walk around it.

Doobie

A simple router slot on all the legs on both sides just like this?? What do you think?

I wonder if trying to negotiate it each time into so many slots would be a pain somehow. Does the whole structure tend to twist or get out of square when it is on slightly uneven surfaces? If it does, that could present other issues with lining up the rail into so kamy slots if they get out of line.

I’d be looking for a way to have it rest on two points of some kind of holders basically. Create some kind of J bracket that can easily be affixed and removed off of just two of the vertical supports. Something that uses those holes that are already there.

I think that your idea makes sense, Brad. If the slot was wide enough it would be easy to navigate. I know some folks route a cut-out in the middle of the field too that you can slide rails in and out, but it would not be as easy for the long rail.

Are you going to get the Aero-fix at some point?

Orange County, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I wonder if trying to negotiate it each time into so many slots would be a pain somehow. Does the whole structure tend to twist or get out of square when it is on slightly uneven surfaces? If it does, that could present other issues with lining up the rail into so kamy slots if they get out of line.

Good point. I was thinking more of a V maybe to help with that. It doesn’t twist and as long as the front side was large enough I think you would be OK.

Are you going to get the Aero-fix at some point?

Eventually, it’s on the list behind the jigsaw first. I’m still on the look out for a used jointer as well…

I just ordered a sleeve for the hose. That seems to be the biggest issue with my whole system. Catching a ridge on an edge.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Doobie

Here’s an idea for you. Two discs slot into the holes but they are screwed together with one screw set off center. The top circle can then be turned to lock the whole mechanism to the vertical leg stand.

The big flat piece would also need a strip of wood that would sit against the verical front edge of the leg stand to keep it in place also.

Does this make sense. I can’t draw, so these pics with scraps is about what you would do more or less.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I just thought of something as well… What if one could mount the track to the edges of the table, flush with the top, and then use the track clamps for holding stock?
    I really need to get around to building this thing… Right now I’ve got a similar assembly that sits on saw horses (due to storage constraints on the truck box).

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

Some good mods being discussed. @thedude306 the side slot is something I have thought about before and just haven’t tried. I never thought about an angle before…I like that. Honestly I only have a short rail and a long rail and the only time I have ever connected them has been in the field doing site mods to a floor or large cabinet.

How often do you use that length of track with the table?

Good thought on the clamping idea @asevereid. Not sure how well that woukd work. I think securing the track well enough to be able to secure the piece to the track might be an issue.

@Doobie
    I am not 100% clear on your idea…is it that you would use the existing holes somehow to make a larger slot on the edges?

Andrew

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

It is cool to be able to look at the setups that others have created. I seldom have the time to construct something as clever as what I see here. We usually will just cobble up something that suits our needs at the time. I can definitely see the value in making something that will last for years, and truly make things faster, easier, and more profitable.

Viewing 20 posts - 601 through 620 (of 645 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.318 seconds