dcsimg

Knives – Kiridashi's

This topic contains 110 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  r-ice 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 111 total)
  • Author

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Okay I just started 2 new kiridashis and since the other one I have to heat treat is also 154 cm. That is what i am going to use.

The First step is choosing what steel you want, I choose 154 cm because it is a stainless steel for regular users. I normally will choose carbon steel if the end user will take meticulous care of it. 154cm is very similar to ATS 34. I also choose this out of all the other stainless for it’s edge retention abilities.

I love my HF small band saw to split apart the 2 inch wide steel in to 1 x 5 and I will make these kiri’s longer. I do the rough cuts on the bandsaw and will close in with the belt grinder. I may do a video on the grinding process.

This is going to be a must watch. I know there must be enless combinations of metals and thickness, but are there some basic standards that you stick to

staker
    Pro

This is a good thread. Would like to learn the process. I have some old planer blades, I wonder how the would work.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

It would be great if you would be able to post a video here.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

This is going to be a must watch. I know there must be enless combinations of metals and thickness, but are there some basic standards that you stick to

It depends on which application the final knife is for. Kitchen knives I tend to make them thinner, camp knives I make them thicker. Carbon steel for kitchen knives, stainless for people who won’t care for them . I’ve got some thin 1084 for a pair of steak knives coming up after the kiridashis.

@staker I am sure I can do planer blades on my belt grinder
    @rylim I’ll see if I can get a part video of the grinding process.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Subscribed!
    This will be very interesting.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Cool r-ice! I really want to learn how to do something like this. I like working with metals. I’m going to be following this thread. Thanks!

Jummul
    Pro

following đŸ™‚

KenW
    Pro

What is the use of knives such as these?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

kiridashi’s are really a woodworkers knife. I use them to mark the wood, leaves a better mark than a pencil. sort of like what I did in the photo, I also use them on everything as it is so sharp and pointy.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

A video on the heat treating process would be cool too. What do you use? An electric furnace? A friend of mine is a blacksmith – I love going to his shop.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@chadm
    that one is harder, i’d have to figure out how to put everything in frame for the heat treating. I have a kiln with a timer/heater attached to it. so I can set in exactly how long i want each heat time to be at. I’ve done some blacksmithing but i’d have to wait till I bought acreage as I doubt my neighbours would be to happy with me pounding steel all day.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Okay here is a short video. I tried first to use my cell phone to record it, and that didn’t work as I couldn’t transfer the video over. The file was too large. I then used the gopro but I need to find a better position for it and better set up for my water cooling bucket. I was going to put the whole 15 mins on but half of it is my head ducking in and out of frame to cool the metal down. So this is all you get for now.

kiridashi’s are really a woodworkers knife. I use them to mark the wood, leaves a better mark than a pencil. sort of like what I did in the photo, I also use them on everything as it is so sharp and pointy.

Never knew that. They must be incredibly sharp. Do they hold and edge well?

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Really kewl. Felt like a true newb reading your post. Subscribed

A Working Pro since 2004

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Never knew that. They must be incredibly sharp. Do they hold and edge well?

Oh yah they hold the edge pretty well, as well as can be for stainless steel. The best edge retention is always carbon steel but if not wiped down after each use it will rust. Although rust can always sand off, so its not really a big deal. Just aesthetics

KenW
    Pro

Oh.. was thinking they were a weapon of some kind. Or a tool used in some kind of activity like climbing.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

r-ice man when did you start learning to make these Japanese knives? Was this something passed down to you??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Great start video @r-ice. Like the other which you are cutting the paper. Is that sanding setup homemade? Looks really nicely made. Cannot wait til I can see more updates.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

r-ice man when did you start learning to make these Japanese knives? Was this something passed down to you??

I was always interested in making things and blacksmithing. I went and took a short course on blacksmithing to learn the basics and also to further my knife making knowledge. I like tools and knives so I made it a priority to learn how to do what I want to do. I still have lots to learn.

Great start video @r-ice. Like the other which you are cutting the paper. Is that sanding setup homemade? Looks really nicely made. Cannot wait til I can see more updates.

The grinder was made by someone else as I don’t have a welder. I want to learn to weld and I would like to buy a welder but I just got a truck sooooo no toys for a while except for my lathe. I should put a photo of my new metal lathe up. It will help me with making pins and pens and hopefully flashlights.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.041 seconds