dcsimg

Kitchen Remodel

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

ended up getting ourseleves our dishwasher

We have 2 dishwashers in our house. Both are well over 50 years old…lol.

Congrats on the purchase and the progress. It is so nice when you get a big step done and when tearing apart turns around into rebuilding. Progress is a great motivator.

Thanks, although, we haven’t even started the year out process…

That’s the next step, actually. We have a baby shower my wife is hosting this coming weekend and then, after that, we’ll stary the demo. But we needed to get the cabinets refinished before any of that so that the paint has a good long time to cure before we start installing it and bumping it around and everything.

So this coming Sunday we will be moving the utility room doorway into our mud room and sealing off the current doorway. I can’t tell you how nervous/ excited I am for that! It’ll really be committing us and start the clock ticking to push us to get the work done.

A major reno like yours is always a scary thing to start but sounds like you have everything under control so far.

My wife likes to ask “what’s the worst that can happen”?

Haha, well, we haven’t actually demoed anything yet, so I guess the worst that could happen would be we start to get into it and realized we’ve made a huge mistake, that we won’t be able to make the new wall patch match up with the old lath and plaster plus eons of wall paper, and it looks like $h!7 and then we have to redo everything with our non-existent budget…but I’m hoping it doesn’t come to that, LOL!

Charlie

Instagram

Today was a big day for us on this project – we went to Lowes to take advantage of the memorial weekend sales and ended up getting ourseleves our dishwasher, along with all the paint for the cabinets. Then we went home and sprayed them all – primer and then topcoat (although we need to let them sit a little longer with the top coat before we flip the doors to paint the other side).

Nice, still a good bunch of work accomplished.

Will

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Today was a big day for us on this project – we went to Lowes to take advantage of the memorial weekend sales and ended up getting ourseleves our dishwasher, along with all the paint for the cabinets. Then we went home and sprayed them all – primer and then topcoat (although we need to let them sit a little longer with the top coat before we flip the doors to paint the other side).

I feel pretty good about it – and now the second side’s topcoat is on and everything is dry and just hardening now.

This morning I got all the hinges washed and mounted to the doors, the drawer fronts reinstalled, and spray painted two metal shelves that go to the lazy Susan. All we had for metal spray paint on hand was gold, but that’ll be a fun little surprise for the girls, haha! With all the bronze hinges it won’t stick out too bad either, and much nicer than the original murky/ tan/ pink that it was (the rust spots are covered up too!)

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I feel pretty good about it – and now the second side’s topcoat is on and everything is dry and just hardening now.

This morning I got all the hinges washed and mounted to the doors, the drawer fronts reinstalled, and spray painted two metal shelves that go to the lazy Susan. All we had for metal spray paint on hand was gold, but that’ll be a fun little surprise for the girls, haha! With all the bronze hinges it won’t stick out too bad either, and much nicer than the original murky/ tan/ pink that it was (the rust spots are covered up too!)

Having the cabinets finished ready to go is a big help. That will put you way ahead in the game and make installation so much easier.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Having the cabinets finished ready to go is a big help. That will put you way ahead in the game and make installation so much easier.

That’s our hope. That, and we were told to give the paint the maximum amount of time to fully cure before installing them so that it could be as hardened as possible to avoid scratching or chipping them.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Lots of progress on that job. Going to be really nice with the new finish. What brand is the DW?

It’s a fridgedaire like our stove.

Sounds like you got some deals. A dishwasher is plus. I know my wife would love here. Our place is too small.

Does your cupboards have place for the dishwasher?

Also looks like you had nice day spraying out side.

It’s funny, the house had a dishwasher when we moved in, but we tore it out to move the stove over. But we’ll be putting in all new cabinets so we’ll make the space for one.

Sounds like you should have never tore out the old dishwasher.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s our hope. That, and we were told to give the paint the maximum amount of time to fully cure before installing them so that it could be as hardened as possible to avoid scratching or chipping them.

Hopefully the install will go smooth and you can get the cabs in without damage.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looking good Charlie, I’m sure you can get it done, you might run into a roadblock here and there, but I’m positive that you will get it done,
    Good idea in the prior post to let them dry for a good period of time.
    Nice update.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Here’s hoping @smallerstick!

Thanks for the vote of confidence @boschmanbrian, I think you’re right, but it’s always most daunting staring down the barrel at the beginning, knowing that a lot of work lies ahead.

@gtokley
    I wish we hadn’t needed to, but the way the kitchen was laid out was so weird that we felt we had to. Originally all the cabinets and sink/ dishwasher were on one side of the house and the refrigerator and stove we on the other, about twenty feet away from each other, and taking up the only space where a dining table could be without sticking it in one of the bedrooms, lol! So we’ve slowly reworked the space to make it so the kitchen is all in one space, and this finally attempt should solve the problem once and for all.

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Sounds like you have it well thought out. I hope you don’t have any surprises.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Now that all the cabinets are painted, today it was time to start the first round of demolition in preparation to move the doorway to our utility room that is currently in our kitchen, around the corner so that we can use that wall to move our fridge to and make more space for cabinets and counter top.

I started cutting through what looks like cedar siding (that space is so weird) and through to a wall that must have been an addition, because the 2×4’s were put in sideways…

But the new opening is going to be just perfect – the washer and dryer can fit out if we need them to, and it won’t impact the current plumbing (janky exposed copper pipes and an exposed cast iron pipe for the drain) I’ll just need to move one outlet that serves the washer.

We thought about taking out the entire wall so we could have the washer and dryer new to each other on the floor, but moving all that plumbing would just be too big of an issue, so they’ll just stay how they are and we’ll rearrange around them. The top is really small, so there’s not much space anyway. I think it’s 6’x6’.

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Now that all the cabinets are painted, today it was time to start the first round of demolition

Nice progress, nice the project is turning out like you want it to.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Now that all the cabinets are painted, today it was time to start the first round of demolition in preparation to move the doorway to our utility room that is currently in our kitchen, around the corner so that we can use that wall to move our fridge to and make more space for cabinets and counter top.

I started cutting through what looks like cedar siding (that space is so weird) and through to a wall that must have been an addition, because the 2×4’s were put in sideways…

But the new opening is going to be just perfect – the washer and dryer can fit out if we need them to, and it won’t impact the current plumbing (janky exposed copper pipes and an exposed cast iron pipe for the drain) I’ll just need to move one outlet that serves the washer.

We thought about taking out the entire wall so we could have the washer and dryer new to each other on the floor, but moving all that plumbing would just be too big of an issue, so they’ll just stay how they are and we’ll rearrange around them. The top is really small, so there’s not much space anyway. I think it’s 6’x6’.

Looks like it’s coming along nicely, good to hear about not having to move plumbing and drains.
    Thanks for the update,

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

And we have an opening! It still needs a lot of clean up around the edges, but I can actually walk through where there used to be a solid wall now. The hardest part will be evening out all the edges since I had to cut through from both sides to bridge the width. But for now, we have more progress!

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

And we have an opening! It still needs a lot of clean up around the edges, but I can actually walk through where there used to be a solid wall now. The hardest part will be evening out all the edges since I had to cut through from both sides to bridge the width. But for now, we have more progress!

Looks like you making good progress. Thanks for the update.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Cutting the hole is a big step. lots of anxiety during that process. Looking good!

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Cutting the hole is a big step. lots of anxiety during that process. Looking good!

Thanks, I’m still working on it (no time to do anything yesterday) but I think I have my method figured out to cut the stud evenly from both sides. I’m having to rip down the center of one and here’s my set up. I’m measuring off the side of the stud to find my line – I think it’ll work. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I think tonight the plan is to move the one outlet that was in what is now the doorway so that we have our washer back online Gagarin and then hopefully, if that doesn’t take the whole night (working in my crawl space is such a time suck!) then I’m hoping to be able to rip that stud, pull out the other one and chop the baseplate so that there’s no trip hazard left in the doorway. That’ll be everything out of the way in there and I’ll be able to start rebuilding the trim.

Charlie

Instagram

Looks like a nice set up with the home made track saw guide, you seem to have a good idea of getting it done,
    Nice progress Charlie

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Looks like a nice set up with the home made track saw guide, you seem to have a good idea of getting it done,
    Nice progress Charlie

You know, that thing has made all the difference! I’ve never gotten such a clean demo ed edge before – and it’s making it so I can line everything up even coming from both sides. And since it’s homemade, I don’t feel any hesitation to just screw t into the wall wherever I need it to be. 100% my favorite and most useful “jig” I’ve ever made.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Thanks, I’m still working on it (no time to do anything yesterday) but I think I have my method figured out to cut the stud evenly from both sides. I’m having to rip down the center of one and here’s my set up. I’m measuring off the side of the stud to find my line – I think it’ll work. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I think tonight the plan is to move the one outlet that was in what is now the doorway so that we have our washer back online Gagarin and then hopefully, if that doesn’t take the whole night (working in my crawl space is such a time suck!) then I’m hoping to be able to rip that stud, pull out the other one and chop the baseplate so that there’s no trip hazard left in the doorway. That’ll be everything out of the way in there and I’ll be able to start rebuilding the trim.

Sure makes things easier with nice clean edge.

Nice progress Charlie

You know, that thing has made all the difference! I’ve never gotten such a clean demo ed edge before – and it’s making it so I can line everything up even coming from both sides. And since it’s homemade, I don’t feel any hesitation to just screw t into the wall wherever I need it to be. 100% my favorite and most useful “jig” I’ve ever made.

It shouldn’t hurt it by screwing to the wall. Great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.381 seconds