dcsimg

Kitchen Remodel

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Well, we jumped today! We’ve been wanting to remodel our kitchen for years (since we bought the house really) and we’ve already done a lot to it from how it was originally. But this year we were finally planning to move forward with the (hopefully) final stage and replace all the cabinets and counter top. We were going to go with an IKEA kitchen (I know – but it’s the nicest we can afford) but today we were looking at our local ReStore (they sell old furniture, building materials, doors, windows, tools, AND full cabinet sets that get donated) and we saw a full cabinet set that would work perfectly in our space! For $400! And after a 15% discount and some in store credit, we walked away with an old set of 12 plywood and oak(?) cabinets!

We’ll be repainting them all white over the next few weeks (months?) and then doing some demo and reworking of our space (need to relocate a doorway on one end of the kitchen and knock down the rest of the wall on the other side) and then start building it all back in!

We’re so excited – were going to have a dish washer again(‘ (finally! It’s been 8 years!) and a garbage disposal too! So I’ll be posting bit by bit as we make progress but I’m excited to share this with you all.

Here’s where we are right now, and then the load of cabinets coming home today.

Charlie

Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

Glad you are starting another project! Did you find the cabinets at a Habitat for Humanity restore? I like to frequent the one here, they almost always have two or three sets of old cabinet sets. Hopefully you have a Bosch laser to set your cabinets nice and level!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice find on the cabinets. Price sounds good too.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

@cmeyer25 nice Charlie, looking forward to seeing the project,
    I like those doors and casings,
    Love the height chart,
    Good thread you started.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Congrats on the good score. We did the same thing a few years back and glad we did. The price of a new kitchen was just staggering so we shopped at the Restore, too.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Glad you are starting another project! Did you find the cabinets at a Habitat for Humanity restore? I like to frequent the one here, they almost always have two or three sets of old cabinet sets. Hopefully you have a Bosch laser to set your cabinets nice and level!

I found them at another place called the ReStore, but it’s not affiliated with H4H. Its similar in how it operates though – people donate used building materials/ fixtures/ tools/ furniture etc and they resell them. It’s a great local operation and I’ve found lots of good stuff there over the years. It’s really nice too, because they give you store credit if you donate anything (25% of what they think they can sell it for).

I don’t have my own laser, but I did buy one for work that should be perfect for this and I plan to use it when we do the installation. It’s the GLL30, which isn’t super powerful, but for our 11×7 kitchen, it will be great.

Charlie

Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses is what I have heard. The kitchen is probably the hardest to do, particularly if you are living in the house at the time. When it’s done it is so worth it though. We got our lower cabinets at H4H ReStore, but they were flat pack, brand new ones that had never been used at 80% off. We took 3 days going through them to get the ones we needed in the finish we wanted. They had Maple, Oak and White and we wanted the maple. By the time we were done, they were asking us where to find things and what they had….lol.

Good luck and have fun with the job. I have not doubt it will look great when you’re done.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses is what I have heard. The kitchen is probably the hardest to do, particularly if you are living in the house at the time. When it’s done it is so worth it though. We got our lower cabinets at H4H ReStore, but they were flat pack, brand new ones that had never been used at 80% off. We took 3 days going through them to get the ones we needed in the finish we wanted. They had Maple, Oak and White and we wanted the maple. By the time we were done, they were asking us where to find things and what they had….lol.

Good luck and have fun with the job. I have not doubt it will look great when you’re done.

Our kitchen had been the biggest source of frustration in our house, so we’re really looking forward to making it better. The house has no dining room and the kitchen was split up with the fridge and range on one side and the cabinets, sink, and counter top on the other so we’re trying to consolidate everything to one side so we can use the other side as a dining space.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Good luck on the remodel.. this one will nice to watch the progress on.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well, we jumped today! We’ve been wanting to remodel our kitchen for years

Congrats on finally starting your project. Looking forward to following this one.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Congrats on finding a set of cupboards that fit your needs and budget. Look forward to following this thread.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

How old is the house? I like the trim around the doors which has me guessing about 80 years old or so.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

How old is the house? I like the trim around the doors which has me guessing about 80 years old or so.

It was built in 1912 I believe. It’s an old house and has likely been added on to a few times and we’re doing our best to bring it into the 21st century 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Going to be a fun project I’m sure, looking forward to following along with the progress!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It was built in 1912 I believe. It’s an old house and has likely been added on to a few times and we’re doing our best to bring it into the 21st century

Pretty good eye there JDO, you nailed the time period from the trim.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

It was built in 1912 I believe. It’s an old house and has likely been added on to a few times and we’re doing our best to bring it into the 21st century

I liked the era as far as home styles went. They were more individual looking as you went down a street. There just seemed to be more put into making a house look nice inside and out. Now, the lack of insulation in the walls and windows is another matter all together…lol. There are a lot of those homes in southern Ontario.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I liked the era as far as home styles went. They were more individual looking as you went down a street. There just seemed to be more put into making a house look nice inside and out. Now, the lack of insulation in the walls and windows is another matter all together…lol. There are a lot of those homes in southern Ontario.

We’re pretty fortunate that way – the previous owners have had the wiring upgraded, insulation blown in, and a new roof installed all within the last ten years, so there’s a lot that could have been an issue that we won’t have to deal with.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

We have homes like that also here Eastern Ontario. There a house just down the street from me. That had some beautiful trim in it. It hasn’t been taken care of in the last 20 years and now has been sitting empty for last 4 or 5 years.

We’re pretty fortunate that way – the previous owners have had the wiring upgraded, insulation blown in, and a new roof installed all within the last ten years, so there’s a lot that could have been an issue that we won’t have to deal with.

That is nice you don’t worry about doing those 2 things.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

the previous owners have had the wiring upgraded, insulation blown in, and a new roof installed all within the last ten years, so there’s a lot that could have been an issue that we won’t have to deal with.

That’s good news as doing all those things can get expensive in a hurry.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Really good not to have to worry about those things. Will you have to relocate outlets in the redesigned kitchen? Change lighting?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.688 seconds